Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain Experts: I messed up.
Quote | Reply
I put a new DA 10sp chain on, and must have pulled out a 9sp rivet. Is sticks out too far. Just a bit, but too far, and with the close tolerances, it till tick the front DR in Small CR, large Cog. Can I push it out and put in the 10sp rivet. The instructions say always use a different link when removing/relinking the chain. Obviously, that is not an option here. Any ideas chain people?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Experts: I messed up. [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go, Monk. It's only Campag that you can use some 9 speed bits with 10 speed, with Shimano you have to get rid of it all and buy more! Get a Whippermann connex and negate the problem.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow someone else with the same problem I had! My LBS had installed everything and when I went out for a local supported century a few days later on the 1st hill the 2 miles into it chain kept falling off when it turned it over after shifting in the small chainring. The ride tech couldn't figure out what was wrong after repeated trying to adjust it so I had to bag it. All that looked at it thought something was wrong with the chain line not the chain itself. LBS was also getting frustrated as it was falling off on in the stand. Finally found it was a bad link. Replaced the link and I haven't had a problem since and I specifically wnet up some 9% grades to make sure. Wonder if its a QC issue.

Barb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First measure to be sure that infact that the pin is longer and it is not the plates being to tight...seen that a million times...if so, tinker with the chain tool and fix er up. If it is the wrong pin...just take out a link, one link is really not that big a deal.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Experts: I messed up. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong answer. If you really were Chip, you would have just flamed him for using ShamaNo. Who are you and what have you done with Chip.

I'm going to pm Dan and get you removed, buddy.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Experts: I messed up. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word.

You have NO SOUL...you Chip Impersonator...

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh Oh.

I learned a lot about installing Shimano Dura-Ace 10 speed chains from reading the directions. The chains are directional, in other words, they are intended to be at their most durable when rotating a specific direction. The joining link is suposed to "pull" the place where the connection pin is installed- not "push" it (see the instructions for a much better explanation and a diagram I believe).

You may be able to use a 9 speed boron attachment pin if you carefully file it flush with the surface of the links, but this is sketchy at best. I don't recommend it except in an extreme picnch- which it sounds like you are in now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Experts: I messed up. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. First I'll try removing a link. But a "link" is a side plate (actually, one on each side) and a link, correct?

How do you know what the correct number is links should be. I just laid my old chain against the new chain and evened them up. What if I had lost my old chain? How would I know how many links to use?
Quote Reply