Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo P5 update?
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about a new tri bike and was wondering if anyone knows if Cervelo is updating the P5? I am trying to decide between the P5, Felt IA, BMC Timemachine, Argon 18 e-119, or Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [TK17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you wanting disc brake or rim brake?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really sure either rim or disc brakes would be the deciding factor. Disc brakes would be nice as it seems thats the way things are headed but they aren't a requirement for me. Ultimately, its about ride quality and fit for me with a little bit of aesthetics. I was recently fitted and those were the bikes that best fit me. I like the P5 but have read that you cannot have electronic shifters on the bull horns with the Magura brakes so that could be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not get a P5. I've heard of issues with people trying to replace the Magura brakes and Magura not making them anymore. Could be wrong on that but a friend of mine is having that issue.

Disc brakes are where everything is going. If you want to stay with rim brakes, that's fine. If you want to future proof a bit, go disc. You could use eTap with the P5 but Di2 would only be on the aerobar shifters.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is part of my concern with the P5 and why I was wondering if they have a new or updated P5 coming in 2019. It seems that BMC, Argon, and Trek have recently updated their tri bikes and my assumption is that Felt and Cervelo (unless they are phasing out the P5 for the P5x) would be making some changes (probably disc brakes and hopefully aerobars that tilt) in the near future. If the P5 doesn't get an update I probably go with Argon 18, BMC, or Felt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt IA with disc brakes is rumored to be coming soon. Cervelo, who knows? The P5-X may have been the replacement for the P5 but I highly doubt it has been successful for Cervelo. I would bet they are designing a regular frame with disc brakes to come after the P5-X.

Trek...no idea on what they are doing or if they will add discs to the Speed Concept. I think they will but the anti-disc brake crusaders here will argue about that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Cervelo would be well served by updating the P5. If they added disc brakes and tweaked the front fork and cockpit to a fully integrated system similar to Felt and Argon 18 I think it would be a big hit for them. It would probably seal the deal for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then it's up to you to decide to wait for disc brakes or not. Personally, I think you should. However, you will face a lot of criticism on here for that decision.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Only downside of disc brakes for me is I would have to replace my Zipp wheels which have my power meter which is an added expense. If I manage to sell my current tri bike and wheels I wouldn’t think twice about switching to disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, decide on what path you want to take first. If it's disc brakes, sit back and wait. Then sell everything when you find what you want. I look forward to seeing the new IAs with disc brakes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in the market now or waiting for next years models to come out?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will probably look a lot like the previous IA except...with disc brakes.

I expect disc to trickle down to P5 or P3 this year or next.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely same IA frame with disc brakes.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in no rush so I am essentially waiting to see what is available after the 2019 models come out and can decide. I suppose worst case scenario is I wait until the 2019's are out and if I like the 18's I get a better deal. If nothing changes with the Cervelo or Felt (I've seen the 19 Argon 18 and I like the 18's better) I probably go with the Argon 18, Felt or BMC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its a great move.....maybe a 2019 or a good deal on a 2018. I have a Felt IA-10. If I had to do it all again and the Argon was available at reasonable price I would get that.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most companies (Cervelo isn’t right now) are charging a premium for discs which is a potential deterrent for would-be purchasers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think people criticize those that want disc brakes. I think the criticism comes when you act like discs are somehow superior to rim brakes and are the better choice. It’s completely personal preference. That’s all.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes on my next tri bike aren't really an issue for me. If it has them great (probably the future, better stopping) but if it doesn't (I keep my wheels and power meter for now and save some $$) that is fine. I would definitely want them on my next road bike for sure (better for inclement weather and hill repeats on the downhills that end on a busy road).

I just wish they would come out with the new models already. haha
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed and the prices quoted for the new Cannondale superslice are hardly seductive. Currently it seems like the QR PR5 disc is the most affordable and it has a silly premium compared to the rim brake version. Maybe when the open mould frames hit the market (from the likes of Planet-X and such) disc brakes will begin to become the norm, but I doubt the new Felt will be anything but top end.

A well designed Cervelo P2 and P3 with disc brakes would keep them dominating transition zones. I don't see the need for a new disc P5 once the rim brakes are removed from a P3 and a tidy front end is installed.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The Cervelo folks in Europe said that an updated P5 would be released this fall. The hint was disk brakes and storage. I LOVE my current P5 and I believe I'll be up for this new one. I would expect to pipeline to be flowing until spring.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Storage on a Cervelo? It's about time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would wait till after Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, i have just about seen most new dealerbooks. Felt IAx stay the same, just colour updates, the IA series, with the integrated front brake all go disc brake.
Cervelo lists P2 2 colours, P3 2 colours same frames as previous, P5 same as this year and P5X in a great new colourscheme. Looks really awesome. Have pictures from the dealershow right now, but won’t post them yet Rumours are a P3X disc, but nothing so far of a P5 disc. There is going some stuff released by september as they said which is not at the dealershow.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long do you keep bikes? I think discs are still many years away from being universal. So you could easily get a new rim bike now and in several years see what the market is doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 update? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That would be really tempting for me. Don’t think I would be able to pass that up if they made those changes. If they added storage,disc brakes, and integrated the front end that would be the best case scenario for me. Haha
Quote Reply

Prev Next