Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo Caledonia
Quote | Reply
Front page article:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...the_Future_7714.html

Nice write up from CyclingTips:
https://cyclingtips.com/...-5-first-ride-review

New road bike offering from Cervelo - looks like it is the ‘successor’ to the C-series. CyclingTips referring to it as a the love child of the S-series and the Aspero. I think it looks great. Per the CyclingTips article they able to use 35mm tires on it. So enough rubber to cover dirt and light gravel. But still has road bike geometry and some aero nods.

If I was looking for a road bike right now this would be on my short list

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Jul 23, 20 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that the cables are integrated... my biggest gripe with the Aspero.

So many new bikes to buy!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to check the front page later on today...

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll add a link to the OP when the article pops up. With this dropping today and the Specialized SL7 set to be announced next week, seeing mor and more of intriguing bikes on the market that would make great all-arounders

Hey Slowman, did you decide on a new road bike yet?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it- that genre is the road bike most folks need. My norco section falls in the same camp.
I would like to see a comparison vs the aspero set up in roadie format.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I like that the cables are integrated... my biggest gripe with the Aspero.

So many new bikes to buy!

I love it. But my questions is always... can you travel with the bike in a box where you have to fold the bar down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Caledonia road well north of eglington. worst road in Toronto. man I am so happy I moved to Penticton.

Naming it that, and for that reason alone, I can never consider this bike-:)

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for this category, as well as the Norco Section - which model do you ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman has an article on the Front page. A lot of fanfare for this bike, got an email about it from Moxie Multisport this morning.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...the_Future_7714.html

And I'm over here going...I was ahead of my time when I bought my Argon Krypton GF! Basically sounds the exact same in a sense.

https://www.argon18.com/...kes/road/krypton-pro

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do I get that rear accessory mount without buying a Cervelo?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Where do I get that rear accessory mount without buying a Cervelo?

cervelo's seat post topper has 2 separate pieces that grab the saddle rails from above. the rear piece is... the rear piece. identical to the front piece. except, that there's a second rear piece that has a gopro style mount as part of the casting or forging of whatever it is.

with this piece installed (and the seat post works just fine, nowithstanding the bike industry's dogged, ongoing attempt to make seat posts harder to adjust), you're now free to slap gopro style mounted doohickeys onto the back of your bike.

but... in this case you must use a seat post like this one that cervelo employs. is this a cervelo-specific design? did somebody else partner with cervelo on this? who is that somebody else? i don't know. but as matt hill (fredly on the forum) points out, it's borderline malpractice that the bike industry doesn't have these all over the place.

if/when this is available without buying the bike itself i will let you know, or someone else who's connected on this will chime in on the thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and more to the actual way this works:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what you need to clean up that rear end, Dan -

...on Amazon at this link.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the worst seat clamp in cycling. Bontrager has an easy peasy for/aft/tilt all in one. This front/back mechanism and pain in ass access to the bolts and test ride, jump off, play with both bolts, ride again.. is absolutely brutal. I forgot how terrible until I bought the Aspero with the Easton Seatpost. Again reminded Cervelo make good FRAMES. The accessorize with shit.

One mans opinion after having R3, 2*R5, 2*P3, and now an Aspero.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking about crappy seatpost mechanism, the ENVE two-bolt is right up there. Good luck trying to level your saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
the worst seat clamp in cycling. Bontrager has an easy peasy for/aft/tilt all in one. This front/back mechanism and pain in ass access to the bolts and test ride, jump off, play with both bolts, ride again.. is absolutely brutal. I forgot how terrible until I bought the Aspero with the Easton Seatpost. Again reminded Cervelo make good FRAMES. The accessorize with shit. One mans opinion after having R3, 2*R5, 2*P3, and now an Aspero.

i ride a lot of bikes. i have no problem with this seat post. (another man's opinion.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Caledonia ads in the header. Ive had wine. I should stop🤦‍♂️

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

no. you should've stopped before you impunged my integrity. perhaps seat post wrangling just isn't part of your skillset.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: STConcierge: Jul 24, 20 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a carbon custom built up in the cement color with Ultegra di2. Great bike- highly recommended
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, write up, Dan!

I am interested in a size 48. My question is
1. Does that size come with 165 cranks or shorter?
2. Does that size come with the Ultegra R8025 brake levers for smaller hands?
BTW, Trek provides this information easily on their website for their smaller size bikes. I wish Cervelo did the same.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rhys wrote:

no. you should've stopped before you impunged my integrity. perhaps seat post wrangling just isn't part of your skillset.

Lol, I'm far from the world's best mechanic and think adjusting a saddle is a bit annoying but even the most annoying ones I've used it's like a 5 min process with two f bombs instead of 2-3 minutes and one milder curse.

What I did find amusing in your review was the three paragraphs to explain going down a frame size rather than just admitting you're shrinking in old age 😜😜😜

Bike looks really sweet, though. Are the only two differences between the regular and the 5 really only brake lines that poke out for 10 cm and 130 g in frame weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any opinions on how tough it would be to fly / travel with a Caledonia using a two-bag system that requires bars and fork to be removed (with stem left attached to the bars)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
the worst seat clamp in cycling.

My vote goes to the 3T Difflock for that one .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, thoughts on the ride quality?

I am contemplating selling my R5 and getting the Caledonia (not the 5) as my training/travel bike (I have a Venge as my no-holds-barred bike). The ability to fit 32-34mm tires would be fantastic.

But the Caledonia is designed to have a little more flex. That can be a good thing on rough roads. But does it affect how the bike feels when you get off the saddle and crank on the pedals? I love, love, LOVE the BB stiffness of the R5 and the fact that no matter how much torque i apply, there is no flex on the bike.

If the Caledonia comes close, i think i might do the switch.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply

Prev Next