Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up.
Quote | Reply
Some interesting reading here about Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist bike. A notable feature is that the bike does use the variable geometry seatpost configuration that will enable a wide range of effective seat angles but still having good handling and weight distribution.

The little video presentation with Phil White is fun too.

http://www.cervelo.com/.../2005/SL-Carbon.html

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT IS a good looking bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there a realistic shipping date for a 51cm?

i don't want the P3C answer that has had people beeootching about their rides....if i put an order in for a 51cm now - can i have it guaranteed by thanksgiving?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that thinks the production paint scheme is kinda fugly?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Other than the P3C, I'm not a huge fan of the Cervelo paint jobs of late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
anything bike that reminds me of Ron Dayne winning two Rose Bowls and hockey at the Kohl center is worthy of my disposable income.

all new models take a while to grow on me...i thought the new Jetta was fugly until i saw a couple driving around, now i like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all. Too much Red, too much paint. A carbon weave lay up would be very nice or a black SL style.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is everybody so crazy about the carbon weave? It's like having a carbon pen, it's fake as can be. Nothing wrong with it, you need to cover it with something and carbon weave is as good an option visually as paint, but it's so heavy and structurally it doesn't add anything in most cases, It's also why these frames that look so pretty when you cut them open are so heavy, because they use weave on the outside AND the inside just so they can say their frame looks pretty when you cut it, and people feel it's a superior frame. but it really is a silly way to do things.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard, I personally think you should have the black option that we saw in the prototype pictures. That's an awesome looking bike/color.

oh and thanks in advance for letting me win the Soloist Giveaway...HINT HINT

Mike

PS I like the red colors, but every bike I have is red....

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree Gerard - if you offered an option for an all-black one with the small "vroomen.white.design" on the downtube I would choose it, no questions asked. That was a hot-looking setup.

Maybe put a "e" on the headtube and leave it at that.

that is just me though, I am sort of a minimalist when it comes to this kind of stuff. In the end I think that the current paint job is well-done and I am willing to bet that it looks even better in person (you can ship me one to let me verify this statement :-)

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/news/may12/img_7105.jpg

is the ticket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that red CSC paint scheme is very fetching.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
know anything about delivery dates? are they going to have more shipping in the first batches than just big sizes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I understand the Carbon Weave logic here...? These guys got it right

http://www.parleecycles.com/z1zoom.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotta agree with Gerard on some points others not. Now the carbon pen, very very cheesy and fake but a nicely finished carbon bike is gorgeous in my opinion. Maybe a little red or blue tint in the clearcoat ala Fondriest (yes I know they are just "prett" bikes) and a couple of small decals and it's perfect. I have to admit I am not a fan of the paint on the Carbon Soloist.

But he's right, that cosmetic layer is a pain, it's more expensive and heavy. Hell you're paying, what $3K for a frame mainly because it's a light light light and aero bike. And then you want to add grams on to get a nice carbon look, that's just wrong. I don't do a lot of work with carbon but we make our own carbon parts in the lab I work in and I'm always a little dissapointed when our parts aren't all shiny and clean looking but they are lighter, easier to manufacture, and in many cases getting rid of that extra layer of cosmetic cloth gives you more room to lay down material that actual has a performance benefit. Cervelo could also just not apply the cosmetic layer and clear coat it but we all, including myself, would freak out seeing what the real layup looks like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I think that red CSC paint scheme is very fetching"

"fetching"? Who says "fetching"? What was your metrosexual score again?

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe if they used that 0/60/120 weave with the holes. But I've heard that's an incredibly expensive (but very very strong) carbon weave. That would definitely be an interesting looking layup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because it looks attractive in an understated way, in the same may as I would prefer the minimalist Bayonne/SL decals to the Team finish of my r2.5 (although I like the team colours). Personally, I think Red is too much of a "look at me" colour, and that is not my style. An earlier poster put it better I think:

"I have to agree Gerard - if you offered an option for an all-black one with the small "vroomen.white.design" on the downtube I would choose it, no questions asked. That was a hot-looking setup."

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: jk_allen13: Aug 11, 05 23:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing beats the black and white soloist Al

bike bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [adam12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I agree, this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/news/may12/img_7105.jpg

is the ticket[/reply]

I know better than to believe that. :-) Consumers are funny. For example, they will e-mail me complaining that we no longer make the Superprodigy as they really, really would have bought one right now. After I check their size I tell them that I still have one completely new one available that I will sell them for half of retail, they never get back to me (I will bet you based on this post alone, 2-3 people will contact me to say that THEY will buy that bike if it is their size. Then it will turn out to indeed be their size and they will not buy it). People always want what they can't get, until they can get it. Same with the all black frame with just vroomen-white-design on it. everybody wanted that on the R2.5 when they first saw it like that. So we offered it, and virtually nobody bought it whereas we can't keep the red Team edition in stock because it sells so well.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo's new Carbon Soloist page up. [Jasmine_trias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also vote for the all black prototype. That was a hot looking ride. I guess I'm just boring but I like the understated looks of the p2sl/soloist/p3sl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerard, you are right, we want what we can't get. Just got my P3SL (all black) and to tell you the truth I like last year's red and white paint job better :-(. Sunday I get the first test ride...5 hours in the hills. Should be fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does the carbon weave add anything to my R2.5? or is that why it's heavier than the bayonne?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pug fugly! The matte black on the original frame Phil flew out to the tour early on was the way forward. A little 'Vroomen-White Design' on the chain-stays and a head badge. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next