Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Carrying Kids at IM Finish
Quote | Reply
I recently completed an online survey from WTC. One of the questions was whether I cared about people picking up their kids from the crowd and carrying them across the finish line. Do people really care about this? I've done 4 IMs and at every race people have done this. It didn't affect me one bit. Who really cares??
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [mdcrag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, yeah, this topic has never been visited before.

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is great when family can share the experience.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a cool article in Triathlete about this a few months back that got a lot of people stirred up. I think if you are beyond a certain time and you're not getting in the way of other racers, they carry away!

It takes a lot of time and commitment from the athletes and their families to get to that spot, why not take them along for the big moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as they don't interfere with other competitors I don't see a problem. Hopefully it will help motivate the children to get active and participate in physical activities.

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I recently completed an online survey from WTC. One of the questions was whether I cared about people picking up their kids from the crowd and carrying them across the finish line. Do people really care about this? I've done 4 IMs and at every race people have done this. It didn't affect me one bit. Who really cares??
I have no problem with race finishers picking up their own kids and carrying them across the line. However, I am opposed to race finishers picking up random children in the crowd and crossing the finish line with them. This has gotten out of hand and we have to put a stop to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mind it as long as it isn't interferring with others trying to finish. I was watching some of the finishes yesterday waiting for a friend and some dude decided to stop, pickup his kids, and carry them across the finish line. As people were swerving to get around him or just plain stopping behind the family. While everyone looked cool with it I can't imagine being 5 feet from the finish line and have to stop while someone gathered up kids and crossed the finish line. Screws up the finish line photo. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

All 282 posts of that particular thread....enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It boils down to sportsmanship. If grabbing your kids, your grandmother, the dog and your mailman to share the experience of crossing the finish line with you doesn't compromise anyone else's hard-won finish (and photo)- then by all means- celebrate! But if there are a large number of finishers headed into the final mile with you and you sense the finish chute will be crowded- show some consideration and cross as a good sports(wo)mam with the rest of athletes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just completed my first at IMCDA after 9 months of neglecting a 20 month old and my 3 month pregnant wife. I finished sub 12 and crossed the line with wife and child in tow. Did I interfere with anyone else..no I actually let another guy go by and enjoyed the last 50 meters of the finish chute with my wife and child. I'd do the same thing again unless I was racing for money. The pictures and memory alone were worth every extra second it took to cross the line. Do I care what someone else thinks...no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why people take their families to an IM is beyond me. It's not really a vacation. I think taking your young kids to an IM, having them wait for 12-17 hours in the heat or rain or whatever while you finish is the real travesty. They get to see you in T1, T2, and maybe once or twice on the course. Most boring spectating sport in the world.

I don't see any issues with carrying them across the line. But please try to keep them home.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [BBANDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Do I care what someone else thinks...no.<<

Nice attitude. MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People carrying kids are a danger to themselves and others and should be shot and thrown in the same pit of despair with all the ipod wearers and dog owners.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to share my opinion about this with you all, except that:

- I'm friends with the baby-stroller-across-the-Kona-finish-line guy and his family.
- I coach the first-guy-across-the-finish-line-carrying-a-baby at IMAZ 2006.
- I coach this guy who carried his baby when he won a sprint last week.

So yeah, my hands are kind of tied here... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I coach this guy who carried his baby when he won a sprint last week.

Where on his wetsuit did he carry the baby? That is impressive indeed!

Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [BBANDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100%....as long as everyone else gets their pictures it is all good with me.

http://www.procompression.com - Athletic Performance Socks
discount code ES20 20%
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pit of despair with dog owners? Where does Mikey Vick fall into the big picture?

"thoughts become things, choose the good ones"
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
People carrying kids are a danger to themselves and others and should be shot and thrown in the same pit of despair with all the ipod wearers and dog owners.

You forgot the smokers, fat people and 16 hour finshers!

Sue Bonness

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No attitude really. I was sitting here with my wife as I was typing this and we were laughing because she too is a triathlete and IM is a goal of the two of us. I was very aware of my surroundings and was sure not to impede anothers progress or block someone elses photo. I didn't actually carry my daughter because I was too tired. If it was all memememe then I would have crossed without them :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked on this thread hoping there'd be a new funny video of some guy stumbling at the finish line with his family on his back. Those are comedy gold.

Quote | Reply
Some grown-ups at WTC and USAT needs to go ahead and outlaw this.

It does pose a risk to other runners. 99% of the time it doesn't, but you can say the same thing about a lot of other rules the USAT/WTC has.

It cheapens the sport. I just don't why your kid or your wife or whatever would WANT to cross it with you. Sure, they tolorated and supported you, but they didn't do the race. It's in the same league as when at one IM i was at - and just barely finished under the allocated time - the announcer asked the crowd if they could extend the official finish time by 5 minutes (and the crowd cheered 'Yes!').
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll 2nd Tom's post - exactly how I feel.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
auto-DQ
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It cheapens the sport.

You do realize they offered a bike/run option at IMCDA this year. If you didn't feel like you wanted to try swimming, it wasn't a problem. I know there were folks who did one lap and then just decided to skip the 2nd lap and start with the duathon folks at 9am.

The sport has already been significantly compromised. Is finishing with the kid/dog/wife/girlfirend really the dagger?
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [FeltGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and once I saw a clydesdale pick up a small old lady by mistake and run across the line with her on his shoulder. She pissed all down his back and it served him right.
Quote Reply

Prev Next