Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbone SL vs Jet
Quote | Reply
Considering my first set of race wheels and wanted some feedback. I'm looking at new clinchers for triathlons (and potentially some road races). I'm 6'2" 175-180 if that matters.

The two options I'm considering are:
1) Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL clinchers
2) HED Jet 6's or Jet 6/9 combo

Not looking to spend ZIPP money. SRAM's are more expensive than both Hed and Mavic.

If I'm not mistaken, the HED wheels have the same toroidal rim shape as ZIPP/SRAM, whereas the Mavic does not. Weight between Carbone SL and Jet 6/9 seems like a wash and I'm not too worried about this anyway. Is there a significant difference aerodynamically between the Mavic and Carbone?

Anyone race tri's on a set of the Carbone SL clinchers and have experiences, good or bad? These will be used for sprint through HIM races this year and probably IMWI 2010.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbone SL vs Jet [trikicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed will be faster.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 yup. Hed 6/9 will be a lil' faster. However, you can't beat THIS price with Hed's can you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard he cosmics also have a bulged shape and some people have said they work for them as well as zipps.

Either way, cosmics are brutally durable and have a good resale value. The Jets should be pretty similar, though the deeper ones will be a bit more areo, but it's probably no a huge difference. I have a buddy who had old school Hed mountain wheels- very similar to the Jet in construction- and they were indestructible
Quote Reply
Re: Carbone SL vs Jet [gatovolador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Carbones and can't say enough good things about them. I have the Carbone SLR; flatted twice in Kona and ended up riding 30 miles on the rim... They have not a scratch on them and are perfectly true... bombproof and fast!
Quote Reply