Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon wheel damage - ideas on repair?
Quote | Reply
Hi there!

The tube in my rear wheel ended up exploding on me when the pump I used showed inaccurate PSI. Interestingly, the tire remained completely inflated after it tore inside (carbon wheels FTW). The problem is that the carbon rim became slightly detached (delaminated?) on one side. Is there a way to DIY fix this, using some type of glue? Any advice appreciated!

Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel damage - ideas on repair? [DC_rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a new rim, unlace the old rim, and toss it in the trash. Then relace the wheel.

You could call a carbon repair shop if you like. I remember that Ruckus Composites has said on a podcast that they don’t repair rims. I think it’s uneconomical, rather than impossible. It may have been the Cyclingtips podcast (or perhaps Nerd Alert, which is one of their podcasts), but it could have been Marginal Gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't repair that. Way too dangerous to ride on, even if it looks fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand are those wheels? They might have a warranty.

Otherwise, I would just buy a new wheel. No wheel should fail with pressure a bike pump can deliver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, that is a very difficult repair... one most places wouldn't even attempt...

The type of epoxy you'd need for a repair in that area is also not readily available in small/medium quantities (that I've ever seen) and shouldn't be attempted "at home" anyways. If you were to just slap something like West Systems, etc on there the first time you started braking in earnest it'd all go to shit.

Sadly, it's toast/indoor trainer wheel/etc

:(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m curious...what psi where you shooting for that to much air caused this
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel damage - ideas on repair? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Xentis. I have already contacted them so fingers crossed warranty still holds.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel damage - ideas on repair? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
I’m curious...what psi where you shooting for that to much air caused this

I was using an extension valve, which is what probably caused my pump valve meter to be off. It kept showing 70, and I was shooting for 90-100. It was maybe... three pumps too much. I think the tube may have been pinched inside since it was just a small hole. The tire kept the air pressure after the explosion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xentis is a good brand. They should take care of you. Highly likely it was a rim defect or prior damage. Those wheels are rated for around 130 PSI max pressure, right? That means, to destroy the rims, you would probably have needed to go well above 200 PSI. Unlikely that your floor pump got there without suspecting something was off long before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air pressure didn't cause that damage.
Quote Reply