Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away?
Quote | Reply
Is this the new trend by manufacturers all the high end carbon plated running shoes will sell out instantly?. Eg Nike, Adidas,Saucony. Is there a brand that will have ample stock?. I am in Aus and have given up on owning the Nike Alphafly.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if they're in the same league but plenty of Hoka Carbon X in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easier to keep the price high when you limit production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only one we can't keep in stock is the Nike Next %. Heck we can barely get any stock from Nike to stock. I think we've had more orders cx'd by Nike then orders delivered. And not just on Next %.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing I'd add is don't chase a running shoe bc everyone else is chasing it.

I've gotten to try on just about everyone of these carbon plated super shoes. There are definitely shoes the would not work for me. Either they allow to much pronation, don't fit my foot ( width and/or height), feel like you're about to fall off the platform etc.

I've seen a lot of athletes from pro runners / pro triathletes down to 27 min 5k runners come in with injuries from wearing these shoes when it was the wrong shoe for them.

You're not going to go as fast in the shoe if it's the wrong shoe vs the right shoe that may not be a super shoe. Food for thought anyway

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really only a few high-profile carbon shoes that sell out instantly. Alphafly absolutely is top on that list.

But most of the other ones are absolutely gettable now, in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
It's easier to keep the price high when you limit production.

Yeah, it’s a niche item and shoes have a very strange third party market so it’s just a game to make them more valuable. It’s Nike, they could meet demand if they wanted to

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The other thing I'd add is don't chase a running shoe bc everyone else is chasing it.

I've gotten to try on just about everyone of these carbon plated super shoes. There are definitely shoes the would not work for me. Either they allow to much pronation, don't fit my foot ( width and/or height), feel like you're about to fall off the platform etc.

I've seen a lot of athletes from pro runners / pro triathletes down to 27 min 5k runners come in with injuries from wearing these shoes when it was the wrong shoe for them.

You're not going to go as fast in the shoe if it's the wrong shoe vs the right shoe that may not be a super shoe. Food for thought anyway

This is a really good point you make. We may see the high end NIkes on most of the highest end runners in the world, but they also generally happen to have very similar foot fall and biomechanics and body composition compared to most of us. So some of these shoes generally work for the bulk of elite runners, but that does not mean they will work for all of us.

Brian, I was looking at the ON Cloud Boom, mainly because the ON Cloudflow works well for me with my biomechanical limitations (enough padding, but good hard ground contact). I understand the Cloud Boom feels really firm compared to the Nike high end ride, and that''s fine, but I don't really want to drop $250 CAD online for a test. I am probably better off sticking to Cloudflow for $160 CAD since I know that works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen them all in almost every size except the Alphafly. The alphafly common sizes are hard to find.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Not sure if they're in the same league but plenty of Hoka Carbon X in stock.

Not sure where you are, but I haven't seen a shortage of these shoes in Canada either. Tons in stock, but I haven't tried them yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I’d assume most elite running shoes are built for a significant forefoot/mid foot strike with good mechanics. Would seem silly to wear an elite shoe if you’re not running at least a 20 min 5k as I’m sure the shoe is not designed for the sort of biomechanics at that speed. Like buying a shiv but having an ftp of 180...

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Oct 6, 20 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I’d assume most elite running shoes are built for a significant forefoot/mid foot strike with good mechanics. Would seem silly to wear an elite shoe if you’re not running at least a 20 min 5k as I’m sure the shoe is not designed for that. Like buying a shiv but having an ftp of 180...

These sentiments are absolutely on point. These shoes not only rely on solid mechanics, they just aren't that effective in the marathon slog. So if you're a front of the pack person where you can knock off sub 7:15 min/miles for a marathon, then you'll certainly see the benefit. When you get down to a walk/jog (marathon shuffle), I would venture to say these shoes may actually be detrimental. I ran (if you can call it that) IM Texas in the original 4% and they were great for the first seven miles when I was moving swiftly. When I got down to a slower pace, the foam didn't have that same kind of kick back and launch. Walking in the 4% was super miserable. So I'd say if you have the ability to knock off a legit 6:30-7:15 min/mile pace in a race, then the shoe has wonderful benefits. If you're like the majority of the population, as your pace and form breakdown over the length of the run the shoes will probably do more harm than good.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Like buying a shiv but having an ftp of 180...[/quote

An ftp of 180 is pretty solid for people in the 100-110 lb range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do the same thing with Jordans to a different target market.

The scarcity drives up demand, which generates hype and free press. They're happy to forgo the relatively small potential profit they could make by higher prices or producing more volume to be seen as "the brand that serious runners line up outside the store for, and pay huge premiums on Ebay for," which trickles all the way down to the bottom of the product line.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I’d assume most elite running shoes are built for a significant forefoot/mid foot strike with good mechanics. Would seem silly to wear an elite shoe if you’re not running at least a 20 min 5k as I’m sure the shoe is not designed for that. Like buying a shiv but having an ftp of 180...

These sentiments are absolutely on point. These shoes not only rely on solid mechanics, they just aren't that effective in the marathon slog. So if you're a front of the pack person where you can knock off sub 7:15 min/miles for a marathon, then you'll certainly see the benefit. When you get down to a walk/jog (marathon shuffle), I would venture to say these shoes may actually be detrimental. I ran (if you can call it that) IM Texas in the original 4% and they were great for the first seven miles when I was moving swiftly. When I got down to a slower pace, the foam didn't have that same kind of kick back and launch. Walking in the 4% was super miserable. So I'd say if you have the ability to knock off a legit 6:30-7:15 min/mile pace in a race, then the shoe has wonderful benefits. If you're like the majority of the population, as your pace and form breakdown over the length of the run the shoes will probably do more harm than good.
It's taken a while for people too cotton on. I've been attacked on here in the past for saying such blasphemous statements. Being a heal striker I can get the 4% to work at 4min/km and faster it comes into its own. The Next% I actually think is a good IM shoe for me but I can't find the gains like the 4%. It's nicer at slower speeds but no % advantages besides being a soft shoe that isn't dead, kind too tired legs and ok to walk in but its an unstable shoe. I am sure I could find a cheaper non carbon shoe that would be just as good and the Pegasus Turbo I train in would net a similar result. The Alphafly I've yet to have heard any real positive sentiment as an advancement and seems aimed even more at the mid foot more elite runner but is a more stable shoe. We've discussed on here the Nike marketing and it seems genius for them but annoying for us the consumer, so here we are discussing it. People snapping up 2 pairs of Alphafly when they become available at over $350 here in Australia only to be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:

So if you're a front of the pack person where you can knock off sub 7:15 min/miles for a marathon, then you'll certainly see the benefit. When you get down to a walk/jog (marathon shuffle), I would venture to say these shoes may actually be detrimental.

I'd say if you're in the 3:30-3:40 range that's about the upper limit that people should be wearing these shoes for an IM.

The IM marathon isn't like a regular marathon. It's much slower, more walking (for most people), it's more like a slow level/zone 2 run walk.

Instead of the 4% the tempo miler may be a better choice or the infinity run react for those people or the hoka carbon x or the hyperion tempo by Brooks

As much as I jumped for joy when I saw the email that say we're getting in 40 shoes between the Next %, Alphafly and Tempo I also cringed bc I know people are going to want these shoes who have no business wearing them.

Then we're going to have to gently steer, or try to steer them, to a shoe that is less $, they'll run faster in, less likely to get injured and we're more likely to lose a customer by looking out for their best interests. sigh....

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could take it a step further and send them away and put them on the diet you put Jonnyo on when he was a fat guy before he finished top 20 in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Zoom Fly 2, 3 have carbon plates. These are accessible shoes. Not too expensive.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You could take it a step further and send them away and put them on the diet you put Jonnyo on when he was a fat guy before he finished top 20 in Kona.

hahaha I forgot about that! That's one way to diminish repeat business even if they'll be a lot faster for it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in Adidas Boston and Tempo Boost (what I have left). Have not even looked closer at the Adidas Pro (carbon plate)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The only one we can't keep in stock is the Nike Next %. Heck we can barely get any stock from Nike to stock. I think we've had more orders cx'd by Nike then orders delivered. And not just on Next %.

Netx% is good. Seriously, so people know they want them.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plated running shoes sellout straight away? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I run in Adidas Boston and Tempo Boost (what I have left). Have not even looked closer at the Adidas Pro (carbon plate)

I've put a lot of people in the adidas adios pro. The only complaint I've gotten is they seem to take a few more steps to get up to speed. Everyone has raved about the feel and speed. I guess if you're racing a 5k those 5 extra steps could mean something. The average triathlete though? probably not

IIRC the next release date for this shoe is Oct 18th

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 7, 20 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Needing a few steps to get up to speed might be a good thing for most, since most folks go out too hot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was inevitable that every brand would chase or ride the carpet thanks to Nike. I was talking to a known running shoe manager from one of the big brands years back he said “Dave, there are no innovations left in running shoes” That stuck to me and I answered “Nike has got to be working on something, they aren’t settled with the market just yet. Everyone is focused on women right now and women are not after innovation (no offense) but the brand who focuses on men will find that innovation” Sure enough 18 months after that conversation Nike had the Breaking 2 attempt and a new shoe. Fast forward and we are where I thought we would be. I did this video earlier this year on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/...rhKLnDBm7I&t=23s

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

This is spot on. The reality is the energy storage and return technology that these shoes possess rely on work optimally based on the users body mass and step frequency. Move outside the preferred range and the harmonics will out of phase or actually be detrimental. I was dealing with this effect when researching prosthetic limb use in sport 10 years ago. When these shoes are eventually customised functionally to their user, that’s when you’ll really see times plummet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next