Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Hoka Bondis
Quote | Reply
I have never liked the bondi. But the new hoka Bondi carbon might be the perfect ironman shoe.
I am an normal guy with unrealistic expectations like most. I have been lucky to qualify for kona twice. I have had my share of ironmans with 4hr+ runs and exactly four with around 3:30 runs. Open marathons i manage to do around 3:10 to 3:15. So for iironman do i need one of those shoes built for speed? No. I need a shoe that can help me slog out better miles when my legs are tired and sloppy. I have done a handful of runs with these shoes and they do not feel fast even when i am going fast, but they manage my stride and legs well when they are tired and dont want to run. My last ironman i tried to run in the Hoka Rockets( for me that was a mistake even though i love those shoes for the daily 4-6 mile runs).
I dont know if anyone has tried these. But i would strongly consider them for the long distance tri war chest.
I have no agenda here. Only that when i stumble across something of a gem, i like to share.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Hoka Bondis [Zoobs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
read a review that pinned it more of a lightweight trainer than the ultra cushioned Bondi we're used to. I swap around between the Alpha, Rocket and Bondis and after reading that review have been thinking the same thing.. THIS might be my IM shoe.. Mid 50s here, only have gone sub 4 2x with a standalone Mary of around 3:35
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Hoka Bondis [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 53 too. Need that kind platform as you get older
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had extra money to burn in tri, and needed a pair of mid-speed shoes (not recovery-easy pace, but not fast pace, more like z2+/low z3 pace) that might work without worsening my arthrtitic ankles.

I've already had two Hoka Bondi6s, which did work for me, but were literally the slowest shoes I've ever run in. Depressingly so, even on recovery runs.

Got the Bondi X carbon and have been using it recently on training runs. I could see how this might be a good IM shoe, the carbon plate definitely gives it just enough pop that it's no longer as slow as the original Bondi, and def easier to run at 'IM pace' (z2+ pace) in.

Still, it's a heavy shoe, and you will definitely notice it. I did a set of 1 mile intervals last week going from Bondi, to BondiX, to Endorphin Speed, to Vaporfly, and expectedly, the Bondis were the slowest of the bunch despite having fresher legs to run in. And I really, really noticed how heavy they were compared to the faster shoes - really clunky compared to the Speed and Vaporfly.

I wish the saving grace of these shoes would be that they still have the Bondi cush, but honestly, the carbon plate gives it quite a stiff and rigid feel - this is NOT the shoe you are looking for if you want a cushy, soft gentle shoe that's gentle on the joints. It rides nothing like the original Bondi, so don't get this if you want something that feels like the Bondi but is faster. It feels totally different to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Hoka Bondis [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great read so far. I loved the original Bondi's which for me were V2. Then I got into the Cliftons, the Machs (worst shoe ever), the Huaka's-still my favorite race shoe, etc. Bought the Bondi B's and the another of the EG(?) Bondi's and they were not as soft as cushy as I remember. Was really disappointed in them. At 50 I was looking for that softer ride for easy days and those two did not do it for me.
Was looking at the Bondi X and the reviews are mixed but leaning away from for those easier days. Maybe the new Cliftons might be the way to go.
Thanks for sharing info here- keep it coming

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the Bondi X is the perfect mix of cushion for my 60-year-old, bone-on-bone right knee and snap from the carbon plate for my ego. I can actually run faster in these than my Clifton 7s.

Larry Lahodny
Owner, Gizmo Socks
Henderson, NV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say with 3:30 runs you should try the Mach 4s. They are great as they feel fast but have a decent cushion. I've run quite a few ultra paced miles in them and would easily put them on for a marathon at 3:30 pace. I was thinking about the Bondi carbon just to see if they felt light yet cushioned but haven't pulled the trigger. The other benefit is they're cheaper by A LOT but the wear isn't great so you won't be probably putting in as many miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Hoka Bondis [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the Machs (worst shoe ever),"
----------------------------------
I agree with you on the Mach 1 and 2. Try the Mach 4 - completely different and much better.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Hoka Bondis [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have put about 40 miles on my bondi Xs now. they get faster with each run. They are much more responsive than I expected them to be. They are heavier, but I dont seem to notice this much. Like most carbon soled shoes I dont notice the carbon until I drop to a 7:30 or better pace. For me ironman run or half ironman run is so different from a pure run race in terms of run style and mechanics.
Shoes are particular to people, but i like these much. My favorite hokas are the carbon x spe, rocket, and the rincon. I dont seem to fit well in the mach or clifton. Probably the thing i like most about the bondi x is that a shoe with such a high stack height, the upper is very comfortable even when you cinch it down. Most other uppers pinch my foot too much if I overtighten them and feel constricting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rincon is really good. They are light and well cushioned but bottom soles are weak so they don’t last long. I’ve gone through two pairs already so fast. I prefer light shoes over heavy ones so I will pass Bondi X.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Hoka Bondis [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not having a traditional outsole will do that for you.

I'm a couple days away from posting my Rincon review. But a preview: I like them a lot more than the Bondi X.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply