Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [Tryin Harder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta add another plus for the Honda Fit. I have a 2010 Element and a 2012 Fit Sport. Who wants to have their good bikes on a hitch on top of the car? See the threads where folks have trashed their bikes driving into the garage or some other low underpass when they are on top. When I go to a trailhead, I want my bike locked inside while I go for a brick run.
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [mssssss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEET Fiat!

To the OP, have u considered a Mini Cooper Countryman? Mine fits my bikes and all my gear. Not to mention 3 other passengers. It's a hoot to drive too!

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tryin Harder wrote:
I am purchasing a car this week, I am looking for a car that fits my life style. I drive 700 plus mile a week, so in needs vehicle that gets 30 + MPG. Every weekend I drive from miami to Daytona with my triathlon bike in the car. I need a car that I can take my bike in and out without much headache. I currently drive a toyota Camery, I am thinking about the Honda FIT (2013) or the VW Jetta TDI (2010). Any thought or experience about any vehicle would be great.

My wife has a Camery. I can fit my bike and other gear in the trunk.

Keep the Camery. Depreciation runs about $3-4000 a year for cars. It is hard to save that much on gas each year.

700 miles a week is 28 gallons of gas a week for the Camery. About $6000 a year. You would need to get close to 50mpg to save $3000 on gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vw tdi. Easily get 50mpg. Honda quality has gone down the crappier past few years. Getting better now. Problem with hybrids is if u keep your car for ling periods of time, when the batteries die you will be out $5-7000 to replace them. Get the vw I say. And it looks better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mssssss wrote:
Fiat!

Priorities! I'll bet the bikes on top are worth more than the car on the bottom! LOL

I'm a bit of a space lover, I'd lean towards the SUV's but the VW's get that forever fuel economy that can't be diss'd, routine maintenance on the VW's can get a bit pricey though. IIRC the filters are expensive on the VW's.
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [WillyMFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting picture, thanks. I didn't think it could happen. They look straight, with only the handle bars turned. As far as the lean-too nature of the middle and left bikes, I assume that is because the seatpost is too tall to fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [Z.Andreski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprised no STers have. Toyota 4Runner. It NEVER is mentioned on this site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mssssss wrote:
Fiat![/img]

Eddy Merckx approved!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a GTI 2 doors with a roof rack, I can fit 2 bikes in the top and two bikes inside or one bike inside with wheels.
It does not give the 30+ mpg but I am sure the golf does or the golf TDI.

This is not my car but look how pretty it is =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2013 Altima SV. Average 32 MPG, and my tri bike fits in the back perfectly with the rear seats folded down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into the prius V my wife just got one its a great car plenty of room for bikes and crazy good mpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote goes to the VW TDI. Get it in wagon form. You'll get great mileage but just keep up with maintenance on the turbo. I've been a VW owner for over 25 years but mine have been Sciroccos and Corrados. I am looking at Passat wagons right now since my family is going up by one.

Quote | Reply
I second this. I have a GTI as my every day car (cars are my other vice).

I average about 28mpg, have a roof rack that can hold several bikes or I can just fit a few in the back.

It's fun to drive, fairly powerful (mine is lightly modded), and very practical. Not saying anything bad about Honda or Toyota but my opinion is that German cars are much better with creature comforts.

A Golf TDI is a good, better mileage, less sporty choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [healthynine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I have a 10' Acura TL who's lease is up this summer and I'm going right to the VW dealership and buying a GTI. Test drove one a couple months ago and was floored at how great they are. Might even spring for the Golf R. Awd is nice in upstate NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why do you need a new car? unless the one you have doesn't work any more, i would ride it until it dies,
are you buying or leasing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 vw jetta tdi. Love it. Gets easily 40 mpg. I can fit two bikes (delicately) in the back. Plus it drives like a sportscar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some feedback on the VW wagons:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I test drove a gas model, TDI wagon, and also a GTI (4 dour) in the last couple months. They were all great, obviously the GTI was the most exciting to drive. Every time I do the math, though, I just can't justify replacing my Jeep Cherokee Sport for better gas mileage. As others have mentioned, it takes a LONG time to get that money back in fuel savings, so I might be driving the Jeep till it dies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toyota Prius V. Huge cargo area, low operating costs, insane mileage, reliable.

A VW TDI (any model) is also the first choice of many high mileage drivers. Diesels are great on the highway.
If you want more luxury you could move up to an Audi diesel.

The Fit is a horrible handling vehicle due to it's wheelbase... but otherwise pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWD is nice in WI too. That being said the awd evo is one of my summer cars :)
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [healthynine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honda Jazz (aka Fit) all the way!

Tiny car, really economical, HUGE boot space, rear seats go down flat. Twice a week we fit 2 x TT bikes in the back plus wetsuits and swim bags and an esky and 2 rucksacks - no dramas at all. I can put my TT bike in the back on it's own without taking the wheels off (shiv, size large) and with 2 bikes in the back we only take our front wheels off.
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Get the car you want. You'll get the bike in somehow.

I keep planning to get a Prius because that will remove the cost of gas from the equation of a trip to the mountains, but my 1992 Toyota truck just keeps going (326K).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subaru Impreza 5 door. All wheel drive, up to 36 mpg and its a hatch back with room for the bike indide the car if needed. Ithink this will be our next car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mazda 5. Best car ever for cycling lifestyle!
Quote Reply
Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [bigadam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigadam wrote:
Mazda 5. Best car ever for cycling lifestyle!

BEST car ever for cycling lifestyle. Really?

Re: Car buying for triathlon life style [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm probably about to pick up a Fit since my commute is about to go to 1.5 hr each way. I've measured multiple times and my tri bike should fit inside no problem- I'm 6'4"
Quote Reply

Prev Next