Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon, please take my money!
Quote | Reply
I decided to order a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0. Turns out that they're almost impossible to get. If you're in the US, you can only order through their US entity. It's first come, first serve.You can't pre-order and pay for it so that you have one guaranteed when the next batch comes in. Evidently you have to sit on your computer day and night to try and snag one the minute they become available. That just happened on Friday and they evaporated before I even knew it. Very frustrating! Does anyone have any more information about ordering one? Thanks!
Last edited by: trikent: Mar 27, 18 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [trikent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been waiting since I saw them in 2015 in Austria. Snagged a 9.0 Friday. Yep, it is frustrating!
Good luck.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trikent wrote:
I decided to order a Canyon CF SLX 8.0. Turns out that they're almost impossible to get. If you're in the US, you can only order through their US entity. It's first come, first serve.You can't pre-order and pay for it so that you have one guaranteed when the next batch comes in. Evidently you have to sit on your computer day and night to try and snag one the minute they become available. That just happened on Friday and they evaporated before I even knew it. Very frustrating! Does anyone have any more information about ordering one? Thanks!

Whats so special about them??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a while Canyon did accept pre-orders for European orders. They then had an extremely hard time filling those orders on any reasonable time scales which resulted in massive customer complaints.

On balance Canyon probably decided its better to only allow orders when they have clear delivery options than to take someone's money and then have to deal with their expectations.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
trikent wrote:
I decided to order a Canyon CF SLX 8.0. Turns out that they're almost impossible to get. If you're in the US, you can only order through their US entity. It's first come, first serve.You can't pre-order and pay for it so that you have one guaranteed when the next batch comes in. Evidently you have to sit on your computer day and night to try and snag one the minute they become available. That just happened on Friday and they evaporated before I even knew it. Very frustrating! Does anyone have any more information about ordering one? Thanks!

As best I can tell, Frodeno and Lange use them, and you don't see as many of them in transition as other brands. Other than that, I honestly can't imagine why anyone would buy one over a trek, felt, etc, that have well established dealer networks here, and are readily available.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never even considered that Frodeno and Lange had any bearing on this, but perhaps they do.
In general Canyon build very nice bikes, spec them unusually well, and sell them at a good price.

There are plenty other good bikes around but unless you get a deal on them, they rarely compete on value for money.

My road bike is a Canyon. I bought it nearly 4 years ago and have never had a single regret. Lovely bike.
My tri bike is a Felt - I got a great deal on it and the Speedmax wasn't out yet. I'd have prefered the Speedmax but I'm happy with the Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon makes a nice bike and from what I hear, the price point is solid. On the other hand, there are plenty of other great bikes that can be easily purchased in North America.

The reality is there is no one TT bike that is superior to other bikes. Argon 18, QR, Cervelo, Trek all make great bikes and are readily available at a good value. It’s just my opinion, but nothing is worth that kind of ordeal, but hey to each his own.

dunno wrote:
trikent wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I have been waiting since I saw them in 2015 in Austria. Snagged a 9.0 Friday. Yep, it is frustrating!
Good luck.
In Reply To:

Congratulations! How did you manage to do that? Just happened to be on the website at the right time? I'm on their email notification which I received at 4am on Saturday morning. They were sold out when I saw it at 6 am. I called them Monday morning and they said it would probably be 3 months before they had another shipment. Their German website is saying end of May and first of June for deliveries there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had asked them and they said the end of the month.
I randomly checked after a swim workout and saw they were available. I had to drive the 2 miles home to get my credit card.
Persistence and luck!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the e-mail notification system is a must and my advice is to call every week to see about restocking, the dates often change. Demand is high, the bikes are very nice and as a complete bike with race wheels the price points a very competitive.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Canyon makes a nice bike and from what I hear, the price point is solid. On the other hand, there are plenty of other great bikes that can be easily purchased in North America.

The reality is there is no one TT bike that is superior to other bikes. Argon 18, QR, Cervelo, Trek all make great bikes and are readily available at a good value. It’s just my opinion, but nothing is worth that kind of ordeal, but hey to each his own....
If it was me, I'd try for the Canyon and if it didn't work out and it didn't suit me to wait, I'd go with something else. Like I said, I like Canyon bikes and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one, but I also wouldn't fixate on them if there's no availability.
There's plenty other options everywhere, not just north america, although the price differences may be greater in some regions than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
... In general Canyon build very nice bikes, spec them unusually well, and sell them at a good price...

Yep, they do everything great - except for having bikes available in the USA with a solid support infrastructure. After 2 years of waiting and watching, when I replace my trusty Shiv, it won't be with a Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
... In general Canyon build very nice bikes, spec them unusually well, and sell them at a good price...

Yep, they do everything great - except for having bikes available in the USA with a solid support infrastructure. After 2 years of waiting and watching, when I replace my trusty Shiv, it won't be with a Canyon.
I'm not in the US and don't know exactly how the infrastructure differs. But I would think so long as they're available and you don't feel the need for a LBS to set you up on it, go for it. If there are availability issues, go elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered Friday, got it today! But I live in So Cal.
I get fitted tomorow. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will.
Just in time for Oceanside.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything is integrated into the bike - hydration, nutrition and tire repair kit storage, making it very clean and aero. The brakes are hidden and fared from the wind. It comes with Di2 and race wheels. Besides that, you deal directly with the manufacturer so no middleman price increases. This saves $2k - $4k. I love my LBS and have bought 7 bikes plus a jillion other things from them over the years but I can't ignore a Superbike for $6,500. I'm also looking at the Tririg Omni, and just today, my LBS offered the P5X to me for a price that's hard to refuse. So we'll see....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one right before Christmas, after negotiating with their Senior Staff for about three months and about two dozen emails. I live in NYC.

I got a 8.0 CF SLX. I used to have a P5, and I was not expecting SO much difference. Best bike I ever had, totally worth the wait and the painful CX service they have. It's been so far my worst experience buying a bike, but the end result is out of this world.
If you can tolerate their BS, then I recommend you to wait for it.

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commandersnake wrote:
I got one right before Christmas, after negotiating with their Senior Staff for about three months and about two dozen emails. I live in NYC.

I got a 8.0 CF SLX. I used to have a P5, and I was not expecting SO much difference. Best bike I ever had, totally worth the wait and the painful CX service they have. It's been so far my worst experience buying a bike, but the end result is out of this world.
If you can tolerate their BS, then I recommend you to wait for it.

Thanks for your input! It is a lot of bang for the buck! Interesting that you like it way more than the P5. (I'm on a P3) I'm curious as to how it compares with the P5X aerodynamically. As for weight, it's like 5 lbs lighter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
must just be issues with speedmax availability. I ordered an aeroad disc 8.0 Saturday. its out for delivery now.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [smboudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smboudreaux wrote:
must just be issues with speedmax availability. I ordered an aeroad disc 8.0 Saturday. its out for delivery now.

Yes, it’s the SLX SL line with integrated front fork and hydration system that they are having slow fulfillment.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

I'm curious as to what you mean by not Canyon no having a solid support infrastructure?

I have an Ultimate and an Inflite. I can and have taken both of my bikes to my LBS without any issues. My experience buying was good and the bikes are amazing.

(* I have not tried to buy the Speedmax, both of the bikes I bought were in stock.)

Jake

Get outside!
Last edited by: jakers: Mar 28, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]I'm curious as to how it compares with the P5X aerodynamically[/quote]

Well since nothing out there touches a P5X my guess is the Canyon will lag it as well. The real question should be how close to a P5-6 or Premier tactical or Scott Plasma 3 is it.

I'm hoping to get in the tunnel with one of these soon. I plan on doing a bike only run since I've got a decent database of bike only runs. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up...or doesn't. Who knows, maybe I'll even let ST know how it does.

personally I'd not put it on my short list right now since it's unproven and until recently has been vaporware

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon, please take my money! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my bike in Central Park. I love it, but getting it was the most painful process ever, ,and I don't plan to buy from them again.

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply