Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2
Quote | Reply
Canadian Zofingen: 10K run – 90K bike – 10K run 25 Sep or 02 Oct

Hi folks,

Thanks to Tetsoni and the American Zofingen (www.americanzofingen.triathletesonline.com) , it looks like I will have to extend my season just a few days/weeks longer and host a "training endurance challenge", to get you guys and gals ready for his event.

Canadian Zofingen will be held either Sep 25th or the weekend of Oct 1/2 in beautiful Gatineau Park just 8K north of Ottawa, the capital of Canada.

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/gatineau/index_e.asp

The course will feature over 8000 ft of climbing over the 10K run - 90K bike - 10K run route and participants will experience the spleador of the Autumn Colors typical of the Canadian Shield.

I want to solicit your feedback with respect to the date. Options are the Sep 25th or the weekend of Oct 01/02.

Here are the rest of the preliminay event details:

Start Time 7 am

Start Location P8 Gatineau Park

Run 1 10K Course: Run up parkway to Penguin to 1 down to Fortune Valley, up Slalom Ski hill, down the fireroad into the valley, exit valley by road to p10, turn right at P10 and run back to P8 on Parkway, approximately 1000 ft of vertical. We will run the first run together, waiting for stragglers at the top of each hill

Bike Course 90K: 4 loops heading counter clockwise, draft legal. On the last loop, 3 K out and back to bottom of Pinks Lake to round it off to 90K. Approximate total climbing is 6400 ft. Depending on the numbers, we will try and organize a fast, medium, and tourist groups

Run 2 Course 10K : Same as Run 1, but go at your own pace.

Nutrition: Bring your own. This is a self supported event

Timing: Use your watch

Please let me know if you can make it and which date is preferable. This would be an excellent training day for anyone planning on racing Kona, Ironman Florida, Great Floridian or American Zofingen, or just close off your season with a great training challenge

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Maybe you could run this in conjunction with Rudy's camp that same weekend (25th). Hopefully I can get time off work to get to it.
M~
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2 [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should be paying attention, but what are the details of Rudy's camp ? Markus, in any event, you don't want to do this Canadian Zofingen on fried legs. This course will eat anyone alive (just ask TriYoda or TrevorS). I would recommend a few days of light exercise before this, but very light (yes....I am actually saying that you need to taper for this training event).

For those coming, please post here if you are interested and what dates. If you need a place to stay to save cash, I can work on "homestays" with the various locals who might have room in their homes.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish paul: Sep 8, 05 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a link to map/elevation profile of the bike loop (doesn't include out and back to Pink Lake - "turn right" at marker 6 on the map and suffer some more)

http://www.ottawabicycleclub.ca/grandprix/circuit.shtml

There's no way I could do that much hill running with my knees, but I'd be interested in doing the bike leg if that's allowed.

Cheers

Evan
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2 [EKB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EKB, thanks for the OBC link. Guys, you will start this thing at point 8 on the map. People are welcome to do any part they want, but you won't get a "finisher certificate/medal/bragging rights". The only rule if you do part of the event, is that you have to stay behind the leader for your "group". I don't want one loop wonders showing up, hammering guys into the ground and then kicking their feet up with a latte after 3 hours of riding, while the rest suffer through a 5-6 hour day !
Last edited by: devashish paul: Sep 8, 05 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev hi,

I have often wanted to do a similar, do-it-yourself event in my area but one sticking point has always been bike security. I bet bike security is a bit easier in your neck then mine (Northern VA/Metro DC).

DAve in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike security is easy. Like Epicman, the transition zone is the parking lot where you car is parked. Stick the bike in the car while you are running.

If I get a good soul to come out and guard the bikes, we can leave them out. If not, it is just a training event so we do like any other training day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My official vote: for Oct 1/2.

I'll be in Ottawa anyway so either way you're going for a ride. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Sounds like a good excuse to go camping in Gatineau! I would prefer the 25th but will try to make it either way.

Colin
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Zofingen: 10K Run-90K bike-10K run, Sep 25th or Oct 1/2 [ridefree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, my vote is Sep 25th, but the votes coming into my "INBOX" at home are leaning towards Oct1/2. I'll keep you guys posted and make a decision early next week. Either way, this will be a classic. If it is 7 degrees celsius and rainy, it will just add to the "Zofingen" label
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, good news, my friend Vinu Malik, CEO of Fuelbelt just sent me some Fuelbelt samples so to draw you guys out, I'll give away som Fuelfbelt shwag at the Canadian Zofingen...not bad for a free event eh ??
Quote Reply