Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillips totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie...
Quote | Reply
First of all, a big congrats to slowtwich guy Peter Phillips. For those of you who do not know Peter is a 40-44 year old stud, who won the Peter Half Ironman in 2004 OVERALL. He is going to Kona and the Canadian Half in Ottawa was a tune up.

I had the fortune of finishing the swim before Peter, and 20K into the bike, he catches me. Being the idiot that I am, I decided that I may as well try to go with the stud. This lasted for another 30K to the 50K mark at which point, I realized that if I was to even finish the course out of the med tent, I better scale back. Peter split 2:23 on the bike that included two transitions, each with a 400m run to the mount point. Incredible. This was more like a 2:15 split. In the final 40K, Peter put 6 min on me and then onto the run, he went 1:20, when the second fastest split of the day was only 1:31 by ST stud Allen Faulds on the very long ~23 K run course. Peter was on fire. The rest of you 40-44 year old better watch out at Kona.

THE GUY WITH COSMETIC BULK WINS

Before the race, I had this young hottie come up to me. Turns out she has a P3 with Zipps. I have a P3 with a front Zipp. She says, "looks like you have the same gear as me, can you help me ?". Well, I knew the P3 might have some utility but not as a conversation starter with women, so regardless I gladly obliged. Turns out that she is having difficulty pumping the tires up on her Zipps, but she does not have the valve stem extender on from the inside, just 5 mm of valve stem on the outside. We finally find a pump that holds a seal, but it is more of MTB floorpump, so with all my 140 lbs of bulk, I can only get 100 lbs into her tires before the force of pumping lifts my entire body weight off the ground. No worries, I say, "I have just the man for you". I return with Allen Faulds and all of his 180 lbs of cosmetic bulk who promptly pumps another 20 psi in.

...and in case you guys were wondering, the guy with cosmetic bulk also had the second quickest run split on the day at 1:31 and finished on the podium.

MY RACE

I had a strong swim of just under 31 min with a long 300 m run to the mat at the entry of T1, reasonbly strong bike (2:30 including the two HUGE transitions...watch said 2:23 of riding time), but my run really sucked at 1:39 even on the long almost 23K run course.

To tell you the truth this is was my "A" race for the year, (not Ironman LP) and I hoped to break 4:30. With a quite stressful week at work, a Jonathan Vaughters like bee sting that had me on medication on Thursday for a hand the size of the michelin man, and the huge transition run and the very long run course (almost 23K), I got somewhat demoralized and basically "mentally" packed it in at around 15K and just coasted in deciding to save it for the Esprit Half in Montreal in 2 weeks. Basically, I was mentally WEAK and gave myself a bunch of excuses to race in the "comfort zone". From that perspective, it was my worst race of the year, in the sense that my biggest asset, that being mental toughness was not there.

Thankfully my swim-bike ("first man to T2" approach), did allow me to squeeze in for 6th overall.

Final results below:

1 4:16:21 PHILLIPS , Peter 198 Colborne ON 1/136 1/30 Men 40-44 29 32:16 1:37 1 2:23:50 37.5 1 1:20:16 3:49
2 4:31:19 GRANT , Ryan 101 Gatineau QC 2/136 1/31 Men 30-34 3 28:21 1:26 2 2:27:50 36.5 6 1:35:09 4:31
3 4:34:30 FAULDS , Allan 73 Frankford ON 3/136 1/25 Men 35-39 18 31:03 1:34 7 2:32:27 35.4 2 1:31:00 4:19
4 4:38:30 BADEAU , Samuel 10 Sorel-tracy QC 4/136 2/31 Men 30-34 5 28:28 1:26 3 2:28:10 36.4 16 1:41:53 4:50
5 4:39:29 THERIAULT , Derek 230 St-jean-sur-ric QC 5/136 2/25 Men 35-39 1 27:03 1:22 12 2:36:29 34.5 8 1:35:58 4:33
6 4:40:53 PAUL , Devashish 192 Kanata ON 6/136 2/30 Men 40-44 15 30:57 1:33 5 2:30:06 36.0 14 1:39:51 4:44
7 4:43:28 MOUYAU , Olivier 176 Ottawa ON 7/136 3/31 Men 30-34 41 33:14 1:40 4 2:28:11 36.4 17 1:42:04 4:51
8 4:50:18 MACKNIE , Chris 159 Ottawa ON 8/136 3/30 Men 40-44 68 36:10 1:49 14 2:37:57 34.2 9 1:36:12 4:34
9 4:50:37 TAY , Louis 228 Ottawa ON 9/136 3/25 Men 35-39 61 35:33 1:47 20 2:40:00 33.8 5 1:35:05 4:31
10 4:51:54 MCCULLOCH , Rob 162 Ottawa ON 10/136 4/30 Men 40-44 9 28:55 1:27 6 2:31:53 35.6 34 1:51:07 5:16
Last edited by: devashish paul: Sep 4, 05 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A long run course, you say? Almost 23 km, you say? Is there any way, then, that it wasn't close to 46 km for the full? That would make me feel a WHOLE lot better about my 4:21:53!!

Gimme the good word on this!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the young ones not make it through the winter up there? Or is there something special in the water you need to drink for at least 30 years before becoming super-human? No one under 30 made it in the top 10! Was this the CARP Tri?!

Note to my fellow Americans: CARP = The Canadian version of AARP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I was kind of discouraged about my 1/2 marathon time. I had a feeling I was going faster than the split I ended up with. It was a great race and I look forward to trying it again next year.

I also was wondering where all the 20-29 year olds were. It's good for the morale finishing before the young guys.

Derek Theriault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev-

Sounds like having a P3 might be as useful as a cute puppy for meeting women!

" Is that a P3...or are you just happy to see me! "

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

After we finished the half Ironman, and informed the RD, they realized that the person who had put the cone down put around last year's turnaround (as per the old map which had been circulating) even though the T-zone was moved 1K further back. So, aparently, what they did was to make your 4th loop turnaround 1K closer in for the Ironman. Is that what they did for you guys, or did you end up running almost 44K (note that the "inside turnaround" did not bring you right back to finish).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The girl I train with some took second. do you have a link for the results? Can't find them..
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.sportstats.ca/res2005/canh.htm

...is she the hottie with the P3 whose day was saved by Faulds ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Nice report. You are a racing machine this summer. When will it ever end?

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, last race is the Esprit Half Ironman in 13 days. Then I go into doughboyland. Congrats to Paulina 2nd overall at IMC !!! It seems she has a good coach, but I think you need to subcontract the swim aspect of the coaching. 1 hour flat and she wins !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

It's part if the new dynamic for the pro women with the seperate start - if you can't swim with the men or the really fast women, you are on your own ie. no draft. Paolina solo'd almost the whole swim and the then all the way to the top of Richter pass before she saw anyone else. Then reeled the others in save one right to the line. What a day!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][url "http://www.sportstats.ca/res2005/canh.htm"]http://www.sportstats.ca/res2005/canh.htm[/url]

...is she the hottie with the P3 whose day was saved by Faulds ???[/reply]

what happened to her day? yes , that was her :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G'day Dev,

Do you know for sure about the distances of the bike and run course???? They didn't change the distances on the results at sportstats. My bike computer read 91.6km so I'm pretty sure the bike was long and I felt like I was going faster than what my run split showed but I have no idea on the run course length. Also on Somersaults webpage they showed the 1/2 awards being at 4:30pm and when I arrived at the tent after watching some athletes finishing sometime before 4:00pm. I found out I had missed the awards. Oh well.. It was a great race and a very fast course when the actual distances are taken into account. Good Luck at the Espirt

Peace

C'ya

Peter P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev -

Well, I didn't notice the turnaround being closer on the last loop than any of the previous three. While on the bike I was surprised where they were setting it up for you guys, as it was quite further north than what was shown on the updated maps. I'm sure that, if they moved the turnaround at all once they heard it was misplaced, they would've waited until after all of the 1/2 people were finished, just to make things "fair". And as of my third loop, there were still several 1/2 people on the run that I noticed, and probably more that I didn't. I think that when the dust clears from around Christine and Terry (and I can't believe that Terry and his crew was out there again today working on the in-line skating festival!), I'll ask them very gently about this. Another 2-3 km, at the pace I was going, would drop my run time by 11-17 minutes, and that's getting close enough to the 4:00 we talked about. Hot damn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh i get it now... why you said she got saved!! yeah, that is her. she is REALLY good:-) kicked my butt last week at training camp and will be in el paso with us next week!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course she'll be in El Paso, only hot women in our training camp... and, the special guest is... the founder of the Hottie thread, Khai! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am the smartasscoach and I am dumb.

praise the lord my friends for I have been that dumb for a long time!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that would only be fitting that the hottie that was saved by Faulds will be at the training camp headed by the dude who started the hottie thread :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve

It was nice meeting you in Ottawa and congrats on a strong IM finish. Here is my take on your run distance. For the half, the time it took me to run to the old run "start" was 3:17 on the way out of transition (this means somewhere between 800-900m) so there and back is roughly 1 mile. In addition to this screw-up, the old run turn to start the 2nd (or 3rd and 4th) loops was moved at least 200m further up the path since you didn't have to go anywhere near the passage under the bridge to turn around before so you've got an additional 400m x 3 giving 1.75-2 miles of additional running for the full IM distance and 2k for the half. The bike leg was alos lengthened due to the start placement but, as Peter mentioned in his post, only 1-1.5k. I also timed the run with my bike from the transition to the road and it took 1:55 (and I was running not just hobbling along) so the transition times added to the bike splits will make us all look slow. This screw-up along with the fact that I came back for the awards that were advertised as being at 4:30 only to be told that they had already been given out really ticked me off. I would think that anyone organizing an iron-distance race in such a good venue would have ensured that the course was super-accurate for the first running to make sure it happens again next year. The race also served as the provincial long-course championships and the OAT officials gave them a box of championship medals to hand out for the age-group winners and they didn't bother to open the box and distribute any of them.

ps. for Dev ..... The "cosmetic bulk" is down to 175 (not as sleek as last year with my Kona training though) not 180 which is why I was able to catch you on the run instead of getting my butt kicked like you did in Peterborough :)
Last edited by: Allan: Sep 4, 05 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Allan. Many good points, and I support everything you have posted. It would be great, if you can compile your feedback and send it to terry@somersault.ca.

I really agree that getting the length of the course right is really important. A fast course is your biggest marketing ticket to a sellout in future years. That and catering to your athletes.

I will be working on making some recommendation on how the organizers can move the T-zone back to the bridge, which all athletes love. The main issue is that the bridge needs to be back open at ~ 6pm for traffic. I think this is no big deal. Half and sprint are cleared off by then. You just need to get volunteers to take the bikes from the Ironman guys and walk them over to the parking lot next door as soon as the Ironman guys come off the bike. That makes things a lot smoother, provides T-zone that the athletes love, have a fast course, and still open the bridge up for traffic by 6pm.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G'day Guys,

Even with all the hiccups of the race with the first running of the ironman, I'm seriously considering doing the full course next season as long as this old body stays together. It is a super fast course when the actual distances are considered and being able to see where you are in relation to the other athletes was really great. This was also one of the best races for families to watch because they get to see you so many times and watch as the race unfolds. With the added bonus of being able to participate in the special needs. Loved the venue. I highly recommend it.

Peace

C'ya

Peter
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan -

Thanks for doing the math on that!

As for the bike and Newt's reading, my computer had just over 184, but I figured that was just a malfunction or imperfection. Likely not?

So, take away about 17 minutes on the run and 6 minutes on the bike, and as I live and breathe I'm close to 11:30! I'm still happy with the 11:54, but I'll also quietly recognize the asterisk (at least in my mind, for now) that is next to it!

I saw both you and Dev on the first loop of your run, just south of the Bronson bridge. You were about 150 meters behind him at that point, and you both looked mighty strong; I wasn't sure how it was going to play out at the end....but it was your day to have the kick, eh?
Last edited by: stevebradley: Sep 4, 05 20:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
......and maybe why I didn't notice a "closer" turnaround on the last loop is because, had they moved it, that would've put out-of-true the iron results as well. The first place finisher was 94 minutes ahead of me, which meant he would've finished well before they began messing with that far turnaround. I would much rather have all of our times based on the same distance than to have saved a bit of yardage on the final out-and-back. At the very least, we would've all done the same "ultra-iron"!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Half Iron Distance Notes: Phillip totally studly, Cosmetic Bulk Guy Faulds saves day for Hottie... [Newt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the venue is awesome and just needs some fine tuning to make it a really great race. Every loop on the bike I had my kids screaming "go daddy" and by the 3rd loop on the bike I was getting a "go daddy" from about 20 people at the side of the road by the turnaround (I guess Rachel is a great cheerleader). I'm just glad that I wasn't in the first edition of the iron distance race since I've not yet done an IM where I felt like running an extra 2 miles at the end :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Allan!

"This screw-up along with the fact that ... the awards that were advertised as being at 4:30 only to be told that they had already been given out really ticked me off. I would think that anyone organizing an iron-distance race in such a good venue would have ensured that the course was super-accurate for the first running to make sure it happens again next year. The race also served as the provincial long-course championships and the OAT officials gave them a box of championship medals to hand out for the age-group winners and they didn't bother to open the box and distribute any of them."

I hear you on the awards mix up. I am listed as medalling in my age category, but did not receive an award at the awards, and I am still not sure why. I thought maybe that some people in my age showed up after the first printing from sportstat, but that is not the case, since I am still listed in the same position on the sportstat website. I have emailed them about this, but have yet to hear from them. This is particularly discouraging since this race also served as a qualifier for the worlds next year and if those who placed in the top 4 did not pay on race day, they are no longer eligible. Also, it was the OAT awards and I saw none handed out or any mention of this. In addition, only members of OAT are eligible for these OAT awards and I am sure that they don't check to see if you are a member when handing these things out, so I am also a little miffed about the mix up in distances and the mix up in the awards. I sure hope that they can set things straight, because at this point, I am not keen on attending next year and I have attended this race for five years. I mean the venue was awesome and the day was great and I would be really sad not to attend again.

One more thing I thought was a little odd was not having the transition times separate from your swim, bike, run times. Any other world class event that has a half and an iron, especially when world spots and championship spots are on the line, have the t-times separate. I would think that people who have paid the amount of money that they did would expect to have accurate distances, transition times and have things run as indicated on the information sheets.

In all, this race had a lot of hiccups that were really not acceptable. If they really want to make it a world class event and have return competitors, they need to fix these hiccups.

Swede
Last edited by: lead swede: Sep 5, 05 7:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next