Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you FIT yourself?
Quote | Reply
This fall I purchased a new bike and with the help of this site and Tom D's I feel I have done a great job fitting myself on the bike. I have changed the seat post to Thomson 0 setback changed the stem length and taken spacers in and out numerous times. I've taken pictures, drawn lines, measured angles and spent time riding on the rollers to establish my level of comfort. I'm not sure how comfortable I should be as I've been away from riding for 3 years. I live in northern Ontario and hopefully can get on the road within a month.

My question? Can we effectively fit ourselves on a bike or do we need a professional? I love to research anything and enjoy this process. I know it will be rewarding if I can ride comfortably on the areo bars for 3-4 hours with a bike I have set up myself. I have seen pros in magazines that look anything but properly fit and seem to have great results. Are they missing their true potential?

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Aero rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, put it this way, I don't fit myself. The last people to fit me were a commitee of Dan Empfield, Gerard Vroomen, Dan Rishworth and Fiona and Bill and Val from Mission Bay at Dan's place. Before that it was Eddy Merckx. Before that it was Chris Carmichael.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recognize any of these names. Just kidding...very impressive. Tom, any chance you'll tavel north of the border for Huntsville in July?

My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huntsville?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

That's one of the bigger races on the Ontario Subaru series and one of Lisa Bentley's wins last year.

My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huntsville is likely the site for the Muskoka Half - one of the larger events in the Subaru series and a qualifier for IMC. As noted, Lisa owns that course.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm doing Muskoka on the recommendation of efernand and my buddy Todd Briggs.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a relief. For a moment there you hurt my over sensitive Canadian feelings.

My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

I've done IM Canada twice! It was awesome.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muskoka is a great race and a qualifier for IMC, IMLP, IMFL, and IMMOO. Not a half though ..... 2k-55k-15k but the 55k seems to feel like 90 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey...does anyone know how tough it is to qualify @ muskoka for IMC in the <24 age group?

There is a 1/2 IM out west, but i need to place 1st in the AG to get the spot...whereas muskoka has 4 spots...

thanks,

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D'oh! My mistake. Thanks for the correction. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just to bring it back to the original question...

Yes you can! I never got fitted on a bike and I'm doing triathlons for over 10 years. I went yesterday since I'm building a new bike this spring. Conclusion, no changes. Well, that doesn't mean that I'm on the one and only position I could race Ironman or whatever, it just means that nothing is wrong with my possition according to the guy that fit me yesterday.

That doesn't mean either that I've been right on my bike for 10 years, quit the oposite, I was dead wrong in the beginning.

I guess, if you're interested in fitting, spend the time doing research on how you could change/improve your position and you understand the concepts, you can very well do it. I believe it has to include camera. You have to see yourself and not just feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are fortunate enough to live close to a good fitter, get it done. Otherwise, I live in central WI, and was fit for road and TT in Madison. After road racing and tri racing for 4 years, I had developed a great feel for what was a good position for me. The fitter reccomended staying where I was on the road bike, and dropped my bars like .25" or something like that. It was a valuable reassurance, but if you have been riding a while, you should be very close to where you should be at, as long as you don't have comfort problems. While I was not fit by someone like TD, I did really fit myself. For Tom, how about an online fitting service?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

I think that, to a certain degree at least, it is critical that you fit yourself. One of the things we try to do in a 1-hr fit session is educate the client on what we are doing and why. Our goal is to set you up in a good position for you today but also leave you with the tools and an awareness of how you might refine your position in the future.

We fit a lot of people who have no clue about fitting, but I think that the clients who get the most out of a fit are the ones who already have an understanding of the issues and the body awareness that goes along with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

If you are planning a trip to the Muskoka Tri we should try and hook up a little fitting clinic on the Saturday.

If your interested send me an email and I'll talk to the race organizer.

Regardless, we should have FIST reunion dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Dan Rishworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have a website or more info on the Muskoka Tri? I hadn't heard of that one. Was going to do Steelhead but I think I would have trouble quailifying for any of the IM's at that race.

Jim S

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

Muskoka tri website is www.trisportcanada.com and is on June 19/20, 2004 (the long course with IM spots in on the 20th). If you click on the "Ironman Info" down the left hand side menu, you get a listing of the number of IM spots up for grabs. Pay attention to the first sentence on the page ("A list of...found here") -- click on the link at the end of the sentence to see who got the spots with what times.

Full results from last year's race is at http://www.sportstats.ca/res2003/musktri.htm.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Can you FIT yourself? [rjackson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

Jim S

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply