Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can my Garmin do this?
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin 920, but will upgrade to any watch that can do what seems like a really simple thing:

I want my watch to track my running (cumulatively) and my walking (cumulatively) during a workout. I don't want to set the intervals in advance, and I don't care if I have to hit a button to do it. But, I want to be able to look at my watch and tell how much running vs. how much walking I've done in my workout.

(For context, I'm recovering from brain surgery and have to walk a lot, at unpredictable times, during each of my "runs". I want to know that I've actually run a certain distance each time, though.)

Is this possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Can my Garmin do this? [jason_miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the 920 can do it, but my Fenix 6 does. No button presses needed, it tracks it automatically regardless of interval status. I don't know when this feature came in. I replaced my 920xt with the Fenix 6.

ETA: congratulations on successful brain surgery! Welcome back....obviously take it slow. I had heart surgery back in 2020....I spent a lot of time walking at 1-2 mph on the treadmill, back then.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 11, 23 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I upload my runs to Garmin connect there’s a run/walk detection that shows how much I ran vs walked. I just looked at it for a race I did where I walked quite a bit and the detection is nearly perfect. How much of those fields you can get to show on the watch in real time I’m unsure. It also looks like it only shows time I’m unsure if it figures out distance based on it.

According to Garmin it uses pace, cadence and stride length to determine. I’m on a 945lte and it’s not a feature I’ve enabled just came out of the box like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my Garmin do this? [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
When I upload my runs to Garmin connect there’s a run/walk detection that shows how much I ran vs walked. I just looked at it for a race I did where I walked quite a bit and the detection is nearly perfect. How much of those fields you can get to show on the watch in real time I’m unsure. It also looks like it only shows time I’m unsure if it figures out distance based on it.

According to Garmin it uses pace, cadence and stride length to determine. I’m on a 945lte and it’s not a feature I’ve enabled just came out of the box like it.

Wow I had no idea this existed until you said that. Just looked at my latest run/walk and looks like it recorded it perfect. I have a 955, not sure if it’s coming from garmin connect (software) or the watch (hardware), so not sure if it’s available on the 920.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can manually set your running 'zones' in either Garmin or Strava (if you upload there) and set one of the pace zones to be your walking zone pace range, and the other to be anything faster than that. You can then get a summary of time and % spent in zone afterwards which will tell you how much walk vs run time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're asking about seeing either your total run time, total walk time or total of each WHILE in the workout (not afterwards).

I'm not sure it is possible to see total walk time/run time during a work out. There's an app on the IQ store called "Run-Walk". This, or another similar one, might give you what you're wanting.

Edit: I did see other run/walk apps on the IQ connect store and one of those may help.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Last edited by: LEBoyd: Sep 12, 23 8:32
Quote Reply