Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan?
Quote | Reply
I've done a bunch of IMs and a few standalone marathons but have never really trained for a marathon without the swim and bike. I'm going to put up the tri bike for a while and focus on my running and would like to try a structured plan. Any suggestions? I'm not fast, I'd be looking to finish in the 3:30 range.

thanks
-David
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pfitzinger's book "Advanced Marathoning" has a bunch of training plans that have been very helpful for me. If you have never trained just for running, I wouldn't pick a time goal yet. You may be surprised at the improvements you can make by running consistently for several months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search online (free) for Hal Higdon's plans. Use the advanced one. Decent

Quote | Reply
I second Pfitzinger's book "Advanced Marathoning. Good book. It has some good training schedules for marathoning.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? [callofthewild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Second that. The FIRST training program worked well for me in the past. I beat my target time by 2 mins. I found the intervals recommended by Furman were a little too fast though for marathon training. Take a look at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ for your goal intervals. They have a nice running calculator, if you input your marathon goal it tells you your target pace for tempo runs and interval workouts (from 400s to 2 mile).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on the Hal Higdon "Advanced" plan at the moment getting ready for Marine Corps in October. It seems to be working pretty well for me. Its free, online, and not overly complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also check out both runnersworld.com and runningtimes.com I use plans from both those websites
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? [callofthewild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it just me or do the long run paces seam pretty fast?
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? [mbeaugard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boston marathon homepage also has three plans.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to consider this link
http://www.bouldercoaching.com/...training/running.htm

Good luck with your search!

Simon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Pfitzinger.

One of his online coaches is an old friend of mine, Kevin Beck. He's in Florida these days but he knows his stuff. No nonsense meat and potatos philosophy with clear concise plans.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signature below.....

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

PFitzinger 55m/18weeks.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Last edited by: ACTN3: Sep 5, 08 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurancenation has marathon plans now for running with pace. Very cool if you have a garmin or other speed/distance device. Lots of much faster running than the more traditional plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think any of the following are worth looking into...

Pfitzinger 18/55

Higdon Advanced (either I or II)

Daniel's A plan (a bit more complex)

You can find the Pfitz schedule at http://www.roadtoboston.com/...ingPlans/viewPlan/5/ but would strongly suggesting getting the book. Higdon plans are online at halhigdon.com. Daniel's plan is in his book Daniel's Running Formula (could scan it for you if needed - with a promise you were going to buy the book).
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? [JWU42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend Daniel's Running formula to anyone looking to do a race of any length. The new edition is a lot easier to read and it has several different marathon plans based on your current fitness levels and race goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to Runner's World and check out the Smart Coach. It is free and you can modify the plan to meet your needs. The plans do change as you change your data, time, number of weeks and intensity. Site also give other good information.

http://www.runnersworld.com/...-238-244-0-0,00.html

CoolRunning.com also has free plans, but little more generic than Runner's World. I am sure the Furman site is great. Cool Running also has a training log.

Quote | Reply
Check out crossfitendurance.com. I am using their program for Ironman Wisconsin and I love it.
Quote Reply