Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can an average cat like me be an ironman?
Quote | Reply
I have three years of sprint and olympic distance events only. I want to do a half next summer and somehow complete a IM in the summer of '07. I feel like an idiot for even mentioning an Ironman. My longest run is 2 hours, longest bike is 3:30 and my longest swim is 1:00. I'm a bop at most tri's. Can I really get there? Has anyone else started where I am and become an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [octane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. You are doomed to your olympic distances. Give it up.

JK: You could probably finish an Iron distance tomorrow. It might take awhile but you would finish.

Quote | Reply
I want to do a half next summer and somehow complete a IM in the summer of '07.

That's crazy talk. You can't do it, quit now.

;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you build up reasonably and are persistent about it, you could do the IM next year if you wanted to. 07 is completely doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jokesters these guys! I'm looking at doing my first IM in '06 and have done a 1/2 IM already. Sounds like you've already done enough training for a great base. Just up your volume a few months out from a full IM so that you're at the very least duplicating the distances of each leg (except the run...you don't have to do a marathon in training...maybe 20 miles for your longest run in training). Check some of the training plans on sites like BeginnerTriathlete.com

Good luck!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yes you can do it. I'm on a similar track. I'm doing Wildflower Oly, a marathon and a half IM next year. In '07, I will do another half IM and a full IM to celebrate my 50th birthday. All of this assumes no significant injuries. Make a plan and start edgingthat training up. Good luck!

Quote | Reply
BOP.................no way............send me your bike and I'll put it to rest for you!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember 3 weeks before my first marathon, knowing... KNOWING that it was impossible for me to run all that way. Completing it taught me the best lesson I think I've ever learned: you can do anything you put your mind to, if you do your homework, and rest a bit beforehand. Having said that, there is a little under ten months till my first Ironman too, and I feel that trepidation: the biggest fear I feel is that I will dislike it enough to quit before I'm finished - you're not an idiot for mentioning it: it's things like this that make us human, and impel us to go beyond where we thought our limits were. Some heroism is just stupid brave stuff - but this...THIS commitment you've started to find in yourself is where you'll discover the resource of your inner hero.

"I'm going to stick to my sardines" - Cassidy
"Others took their lemons and stood up and walked." - Kestrelkerri
"I will never know quite why I set out on the run. I guess because it was next." - Nachocheese
"No, just to people on the Forum. My athletes are the control group." - Paulo Sousa
" Actually, I am naturally an Asshole....not unlike the way you are naturally an idiot." IRONLOBO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I came off the couch Jan 2004, and could BARELY run a mile. I trained for a Marathon and completed that in Jan 2005. I trained for a 1/2 Ironman for 6 months after that and did my first 1/2 Ironman in June 2005. I've trained for the last 6 months, and in 4 days, I'll do an Ironman.

So if fat arsed person like me, can get off his duff, anyone can. ;) You have tons more experience than I did. Sign up for IMFL this Sunday! ;)

I followed the beginnertriathlete.com IM trainining plan and it seems to have worked for me. Course, I'll let you know if it actually worked when/if I finish ;) [I think I can, I think I can....]

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Piece of cake. I signed up for Lake Placid the day after completing my first triathlon (I was in a fit of overconfidence).

It worked out just fine. Thirteen-plus hours and a whole lot of fun.

The only thing standing between you and an IM race is an entry form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An IM isn't as hard as you think!! You have 17 hours to complete the event. If that's all you want to do is complete it, you could probably do one right now!!! It's when you push yourself to your limits that it becomes difficult. As long as you stay well within yourself it's not hard. Hell, people over 70 yrs old do it. As long as you can stay within the cutoff times, you could just about walk the whole marathon. It's just a matter of wanting it. Now if your trying to win your AG or qualify for IM Hawaii, well that's a different ball game and it would take a large commitment on your part and proper training. Go for it, you'll never regret of forget the immense feeling of accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. You can do it, and that isn't just a cliche'.

The Ironman tagline is, "Anything is Possible" for a reason. A huge part of the allure of Ironman is the prospect of exceeding perceived limitations.

You will do that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was laughing to myself this past weekend when I bumped into the first real Ironman I met years ago. I had just done a few sprint tris and someone pointed him out. He was chisled, walked with self-confidence, and damn he could swim. He had one of those super-cool tatoos (which I now think of differently) I thought he was on another planet. I admired him. Never, then, did I imagine that I could do an IM. The following year I did some olys, ventured a half, and thought to myself, time to sign up and give it a shot. I stressed, I trained, I got great coaching . . . piece of cake. It is in your head. Prepare sensibly, and you can do an IM. Stay consistent with training, and you can do an IM whenever you want, with just a bit of a ramp-up. Respect the race and have a great time out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim, looks like I will see you at wildflower. And in the same age group. Lets do a 50 miler for our 50th.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on a similar time table. If you haven't been to one, I would encourage you to go to an Ironman either as a spectator or better yet a volunteer. I hauled dnf's back from an aid station at IM Moo this year, and learned a lot. Good and bad. Have you decided which IM?
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ashburn

Nov 1, 2005, 3:45 PM

Post #10 of 13 (104 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [octane] - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply
Piece of cake. I signed up for Lake Placid the day after completing my first triathlon (I was in a fit of overconfidence).

It worked out just fine. Thirteen-plus hours and a whole lot of fun.

The only thing standing between you and an IM race is an entry form.

And $425. :-)

Tri-ing for a cure.

NYtrigal's Team in Training Page

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hell yes, Your ass and the couch need to be strangers.
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're on!

BTW, you tagline about the 12 hr. finish on 6 hrs. training is always encouraging every time I see it.

Quote | Reply
Whenever acquaintances and colleagues marvel at my IM finishes and tell me I'm "an inspiration!", I always feel uncomfortable and more than a little sheepish. Because the dirty little secret is...ANYBODY can do an Ironman! It's simply a question of WANTING to ---honest! If you really want to, you will do the training (which is actually the hardest part), and finishing the race itself is just icing on the cake.

The people who are "inspiring" are the ones who overcome severe handicaps and hardships to be able to complete the race. For the average healthy human, though: put in the training, and reap the rewards. Race day is just a question of relentless forward motion. :)

I always remember a quote from the 1995 IMH broadcast that goes like this: "You put in, you take out; it's an equation that everybody here understands." It's totally true. You put in the training, you take out the marvellous experience of the race.

GO FOR IT!

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting that you post this, as it sounds a lot like my plan: do a spring marathon and summer half next year, then a half leading up to a full ironman in '07. I don't think I'm really pushing the envelope, and you definitely have a better base than I do.

you and the long rides will become good friends tho...
(and by long rides I mean longer than 3:30)

Quote | Reply
Dude, no problem. I did one sprint this year and one last year. My '06 schedule will be a 1/2IM in March at the Ford CA and the Vineman IM in August. Piece of cake. This stuff's easy. Lookout Kona here I come. YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim, it is honest. I post my link to my training table. I just completed 2004 and it shows it is even less. I want to do a little checking to make sure I understand what Ray did. Now, I train 12 months a year. I did not get hurt this year. But, I have read a number of article that 10 hours a week can be done. I would like to go in with 10 average for next season.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
key here is that your long run is at 2 hours already - IM will be no problem
Quote Reply
Re: Can an average cat like me be an ironman? [Badger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Badger,

I have not set my sights on a specific IM. Heck, I never really thought too much about an IM until this post and now, after reading the replies, I feel like I can step up and do one. Of course I want the flatest IM I can find....with no wind!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If I can do it anyone can do it." That's what crossed my mind right after I crossed the finish line at CDA in 2003. The second thing to cross my mind was "never again," but I did do it again this year and signed up to do it again next year too!

Like you had had only done sprints and olys, had never run a marathon and probably never will outside an IM.

Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by: QRgirl: Nov 1, 05 18:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next