Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance?
Quote | Reply
My go-to drink is Tailwind. Love it. Tastes is minimal and absorbs well for me.
Obviously Gatorade Endurance in the drink on IM courses. I hate the taste.
I "feel" I drink enough on the bike, but, when I pee after the bike (before the run) my pee is always very concentrated indicating I'm also potentially not absorbing enough. And I get bloated.
I have Kona in October and want to dial in my hydration/absorption.
Question is: can I "train" my stomach or somehow get it used to Gatorade Endurance enough this summer by just going with Gatorade Endurance so my body somehow learn to absorb it. Or maybe I just don't absorb this product well and you can't "train" you stomach for a particular product? Thoughts?
(I guess for Kona I could carry a bunch of powder packets and mix with water from the course and put some in special needs bags, but, this would slow be down quite a bit of course. But ultimately If I absorb better, then I would make it back on the run by being better hydrated. Thoughts?)
Thanks

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would train with Gatorade and figure out if you have to dilute it or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes--u prob won't like it but just start using if Kona is the main focus for you (A race). You can figure out if you need to alternate Gator and water....

One piece of advice--you should practice drinking more than you might typically do because with the heat, humidity and wind, I've found that its super easy to get dehydrated at Kona

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drink water too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your issue is likely that you’re NOT drinking enough (water), so whatever G you take in, is upsetting your tummy.
Malto in G is weak sauce as caloric burden on your stomach.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 13, 21 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade endurance = sucrose, fructose, and maltodextrin
Tailwind = glucose, sucrose

As noted in the other gut discomfort thread...people sometimes have issues with maltodextrin. How do you do with gels, such as Gu (maltodextrin + fructose)?

perhaps you can train to use it. Perhaps not. There's only one way to find out. I'd try diluting it by half and see of that's workable. If so, then maybe split the difference until you find the minimum dilution ratio you can tolerate. If it doesn't work at 50%, you're probably best sticking with what works.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Gatorade endurance = sucrose, fructose, and maltodextrin
Tailwind = glucose, sucrose

As noted in the other gut discomfort thread...people sometimes have issues with maltodextrin. How do you do with gels, such as Gu (maltodextrin + fructose)?

perhaps you can train to use it. Perhaps not. There's only one way to find out. I'd try diluting it by half and see of that's workable. If so, then maybe split the difference until you find the minimum dilution ratio you can tolerate. If it doesn't work at 50%, you're probably best sticking with what works.

True, and worth considering if the OP has the same issues with pasta, frozen dinners, cereals, desserts, etc.
Super common and a natural ingredient in many foods with higher than G concentrations.
But yeah, switching to water and solids/gels w/o Malto may be the only option in that case.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 13, 21 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider using a concentrate of your own and only taking water from aid stations. You have more control that way. Control is important.

My TLDR of the info dump below, for you personally: make sure you're drinking enough, and consuming enough sodium to hold onto what you're drinking. >1000mg/L is ideal. Sodium citrate is a good idea. If sweating noticeably, pushing for more than 1L/hr is ideal. Not always possible. Can't absorb carbs well (ie... "my stomach hurts") if improperly hydrated.

Quick summary:
https://www.trainerroad.com/...8?u=dr_alex_harrison

1:1 Glucose:Fructose Ratio Works better than 2:1.
https://www.trainerroad.com/...n-a-bottle/30328/200

90-150 grams of carbs per hour during exercise may be beneficial. 90 is not the limit.
https://www.trainerroad.com/...should-you/33210/583

Sucrose works as well as maltodextrin:fructose, and glucose:fructose 1:1 mixtures. >>90g/hr is optimal
https://www.trainerroad.com/...n-a-bottle/30328/204

Isotonicity is not as important as meeting carb and hydration needs. Both can be met with hypertonic solutions, greater than 90g/hr.
https://www.trainerroad.com/...per-bottle/16117/282

Detailed how-to guide for intra-workout fueling: (scroll to near bottom)
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7444621#first

Running intra-workout fueling, sweetness discussion
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7417228#first

Really spelling it out: HOW TO:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_P7452851/#p7452851

Even more how-to, with savings calculations:
https://renaissanceperiodization.com/...intra-workout-drinks

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most bikes have at least two bottle cages. Mix one normal strength tailwind, mix the other double strength. Drink the normal strength one first, discard the bottle then pickup a bottle of water at an aid station and alternate drinking water/tailwind. Put two bottles of tailwind in your special needs bag mixed the same way. This should give you a very large portion of your required calories. This is what most Ironman triathletes do that don't like the on course nutrition! Practice this mixing strategy on your long rides til you get it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be a stupid question but what do you mean by “my pee is super concentrated”?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
This may be a stupid question but what do you mean by “my pee is super concentrated”?

Darker color.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Followed this plan from Alex with good success in a 70.3 and plan to use it in a full. Mix a concentrated solution with koolaid level of sugar or southern sweet tea level if you prefer that reference and sip with a lot of water that I grabbed at aid stations.

Added marten gels as well as I think they are similar and are on the course.

No stomach discomfort and of course coke towards the end of the run:)
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
stevej wrote:

Yeah I guess what I’m getting at is if your pee is yellow, I would think that’s more due to a lack of water/hydration than your body not being able to absorb nutrition.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
stevej wrote:

Yeah I guess what I’m getting at is if your pee is yellow, I would think that’s more due to a lack of water/hydration than your body not being able to absorb nutrition.

I think what he's getting at is that he's dehydrated, and that dehydration reduces max absorption rate of carbs and fluid in the gut.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
stevej wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
stevej wrote:

I think what he's getting at is that he's dehydrated, and that dehydration reduces max absorption rate of carbs and fluid in the gut.

Thank you. That was my thought as well.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped trying, the stomach aches weren't worth my time.

Now Gatorade mixed from regular powder is just fine. Gatorade Endurance from the pre-mixed bottle just kills my gut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
My go-to drink is Tailwind. Love it. Tastes is minimal and absorbs well for me.
Obviously Gatorade Endurance in the drink on IM courses. I hate the taste.
I "feel" I drink enough on the bike, but, when I pee after the bike (before the run) my pee is always very concentrated indicating I'm also potentially not absorbing enough. And I get bloated.
I have Kona in October and want to dial in my hydration/absorption.
Question is: can I "train" my stomach or somehow get it used to Gatorade Endurance enough this summer by just going with Gatorade Endurance so my body somehow learn to absorb it. Or maybe I just don't absorb this product well and you can't "train" you stomach for a particular product? Thoughts?
(I guess for Kona I could carry a bunch of powder packets and mix with water from the course and put some in special needs bags, but, this would slow be down quite a bit of course. But ultimately If I absorb better, then I would make it back on the run by being better hydrated. Thoughts?)
Thanks

I have had most if these same issues. I tried to get GE to work for me, used it religiously in training, and it never worked well for me and I hated it. In short I found something else that works for me and most importantly, that I will drink. Like you, I will be using this in Kona in October, and I am just going to have to stop at special needs. No big deal. I can get away with 4 total bottles and use water on the course. I hate stopping but it is quick, and the 20-30s lost is gained back quickly because I don’t have nutrition issues that cost many minutes later in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I train my stomach to get used to Gatorade Endurance? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
stevej wrote:

Darker color.

Yeah...mine is sometimes lime green after drinking 4 scoops in a 24 oz bottle while also drinking 20 oz of water but never dark yellow indicating I’m dehydrated.

So if that’s not enough dilution idk what is because I’m technically only adding 1 scoop more than recommended but taking on an additional 12 oz of water over the ratio.

You’d think it would be an exact science but it isn’t like that all the time. I’d suspect sweat rate and how hydrated I am pre workout play in...
Quote Reply