Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [drflinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked at Stronglight. Where can you get them? They've got some cool carbon cranks that some pro teams are on, but I don't know anything about them or the sizing.
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got DA 180's on my tri bike (Shimano components). I was hoping to keep my Campy road bike all Campy, but it is impossible to get Records in 180. Like I said with FSA, they said that there simply wasn't enough demand for anything outside of 170-175 to cover the production cost. If I can't get the Campy's within a few more weeks here I will strongly consider the Truvativs.
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [Twitchslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that if you look back to about 1968 or so you'll find that Hans-Christian Smolik was also producing the very forst carbon fibre frames. There was a big article about him in Popular Mechanics at about that time which showed him holding up a very pretty carbon fibre frame that weighed about 3 to 3.5 lbs. Since most frames at that time weighed about 6 to 7 lbs it was considered to be quite light.

Captain Gray Beard PhD
Cyclist and Retro-Grouch
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fredly, you kind of missed my point.

I was simply replying to the comment that a lower "Q" would reduce the aero drag. That isn't the reason that proponents of a lower "Q" are promoting it. As to research that claims most riders need a larger not smaller "Q" please provide a link. I haven't seen it.

Even if it is true, there is a significant number of people for whom a narrow "Q" makes a lot of sense. Thus Campy would be filling a market corner that Shimano has pretty much ignored.

The Lance Armstrong example is something of a red herring because we are talking about going from a 210 mm to 150 mm or so. The bike Armstrong refused to ride was probably a sub 100 Q and was probably done for a measurable but not significant gains in aero efficency for the price of getting used to a new position; especially since his team was using Shimano parts which have a rather wide "Q". I imagine it would feel quite different.

Captain Gray Beard PhD
Cyclist and Retro-Grouch
Last edited by: Gray Beard: Mar 5, 06 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [Gray Beard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't responding to what you meant to say, rather to what you said, which was fallacious.

- There is, btw, significant evidence that low q has positive drag ramifications, for whatever that is worth.

- Do a search for q. There is a lot of significant thinking on the subject available in the public domain.

- Define significant. I am physiologically in -roughly- the smallest 5% of the adult male population in terms of the significant physiological traits that would determine necessity for a low Q; my legs rub together when I walk if my body fat % gets above 7. I can, after adaptation time, ride a week long stage race on a mtn. bike with a triple.

- any measurable gains in aerodynamics are significant, by definition.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have the entire stronglight line at xxcycle.com. I'm not sure what the shipping would be like but the have some kickass cranks there. They even have a sweet carbon crank that's wing-shaped, in track and double configs- the "ultim" I think. The new pulsion activ link ti is frickin sweet too- They have a ton of stuff that is more unique, better looking, and comes in 177.5 or 180. I think they're very popular in England.

http://www.zefal.com/stronglight/accueil.php
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have your LBS call Gita...http://www.gitabike.com...rumor is they may just happen to have some 180's.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been shown, but the best update I've seen on the 07 campy stuff is here.

http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [peep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. I'm sorry to read that Record and Chorus will only be available in carbon. I imagine this will mean a big hike in price. Also, I wonder what it will do for availability of crankset sizes other than 170, 172.5, and 175mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Thanks for the link. I'm sorry to read that Record and Chorus will only be available in carbon. I imagine this will mean a big hike in price. Also, I wonder what it will do for availability of crankset sizes other than 170, 172.5, and 175mm.[/reply]

Actually, as amazing as it is, the price for Record, will be coming down just a touch.

The crank is still a sore subject with the head honchos at Campy. So nothing is positive yet. (Though they will be shown to certain vendors next week) They have reservations, because if frame tolereances are off even slightly it will cause problems with the crank. But Campy feels that it's the square taper that is holding them back. And now with Sram and FSA soon to bring groups to the table, they felt an integrated crank was inevitable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Thanks for the link. I'm sorry to read that Record and Chorus will only be available in carbon. I imagine this will mean a big hike in price. Also, I wonder what it will do for availability of crankset sizes other than 170, 172.5, and 175mm.[/reply]

Forgot to mention, carbon record cranks will be available in 177.5 and 180mm as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [peep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a breif write up on cyclingnews.com about this. Not much detail, but for anyone intereste it is there.
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

i am Richard, redactor in chief of French magazine independant in Paris. L'Acheteur Cycliste.

We talk about material, only road. It seems guy you get the first information on Campy new Crankset. I send a mail to them , in Italie but no reply about these pictures. Do you get them by yourself ?

can we use your pictures or not ?

Yhyanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [cochise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Do you know where we can see these new cranks? Are they on a website anywhere?[/reply]

found a link on the 'rumors' page at campyonly.com:

http://www.campyonly.com/rumors/2006/photos_of_the_new_ultra_torque.html

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Campagnolo goes to more current crank configuration for '07. [off242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some photos from cyclingnews.com

Quote Reply

Prev Next