Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Camelback on bike in IM race?
Quote | Reply

I think I read somewhere on the gordoworld site, that Gordo Byrn had used a Camelback in an IM race in NZ. I routinely train with a 70 oz. Camelback Classic with a "tube director" and like it.

I've raced shorter events with an aero-bottle and they're ok but sometimes it just feels sort of wierd and clunky and sloshy.

I'm considering wearing a Camelback for an IM distance race in Ohio this weekend, and refilling it once or twice with concentrated Cytomax (from my behind the seat bottle rack) and water from the bike aid stations.

I'm trying to put off drinking Gatorade for as long as possible. I'm not particularly worried that it will cost me a couple of minutes in the race as my goal is just to finish "on the run". I'd appreciate anyone's comments on their experience using a Camelback on the bike in an IM race.

Thanks,

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are accustomed to using a Camelbak in training it seems to be a great idea for the race. There are some substantial advantages: Some feel it improves the aerodynamics of your body on the bike. Also, depending on the model of Camelbak you have, it may provide some cooling effect for your body, especially if you freeze part of the contents prior to your race and it thaws gradually throughout the event. Again, if you are used to it in training, using it in the race makes sense. As for not using Gatorade until late in the race... Man, my nutrition plan includes pounding the fluid and electrolyte replacement drinks the second I get out of the water and up to the moment I get in. Don't let your sodium and potassium levels slip. Hyponytremia (how do you spell that?) is an ugly word no matter how you (mis)spell it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One question... how are you planning on refilling your camelback durign the race? i have a camelback style backpack which I would nto be able to fill on the fly...
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thought (never actually tried this...) might be to freeze a reservoir solid the night before and then put it in your special needs bag to grab around the 56 mile mark on the bike. Be sure your existing reservoit is empty before you hit the special needs bag pick-up area. When you get your bag, stop briefly, swing the pack bag around to your chest, drop the new (still partially frozen), full reservoir into pack bag and route the drinking hose and then hit the road. It might take 45 seconds or less if you practiced it in training. Just a thought...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. Cytomax has almost as much sodium as Gatorade 100mg vs. 110mg. I plan on using Succeed electrolyte caps once or twice an hour throughout the bike and run depending on how hot it is.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and most importantly: Good Luck! I know your preparation has been excellent. Have the race you've earned!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taku,

If I do use the Camelback, I'm planning on making a brief pit stop at the bike aid station. I'll add concentrated Cytomax from my bike bottle and fill the rest with water from the aid station.

I'm willing to bet it can be done in less than a minute. I'll also carry one regular bottle of Cytomax behind the seat just in case I run out between aid stations. It's a pretty flat course so I'm not too worried about the weight. Sometimes I think I mess around more trying to fill the Aerobottle on the fly.

The new Camelbacks have a pretty large screw opening to dump fluid into. I'm going to check on the bike aid station set-up at the race before I decide for sure.

Thanks,

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi tom...
nice to see/hear/read from you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used my Camelbak MULE on two Half's this year and it's worked out nicely.

Regarding refilling it, the Omega opening is just the right size to dump open water bottles into.

I keep hoping they'll design one that has the opening on the outside(and maybe has a hard shell), and works like a Nascar tank filler/Aero Drink bottle. Just reach over your shoulder, dump the bottle into it, and keep riding. (I really can't believe they haven't done it yet. Hello?!? Camelbak? We spend $3000 on bicycles! We'll pay $100 for a time trial Camelbak.)

Let me know how it goes, since I'm trying to decide whether I should plan on using it for IM LP next year.

Have a great race!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used my camelback for IMMOO and it worked great! I used the 70 oz classic style and filled it up with carbo-pro/endurox to make 1800 calories. I only had to pick up water from the aid stations and supplemented with gels. It is nice to have a cold drink, especially when it is a high-calorie drink that can get real nasty in the heat. The only thing I would change would be to freeze it solid the night before and maybe have a second for special needs. Another nice thing is I put my spare and flat kit in the camelback.
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [KS TRIHAWK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what types of "camelbacks" are people using? I'm absolutely tired of waterbottles flying out of my saddlewing....

Thanks!

-Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Camelback on bike in IM race? [ledude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have several. For most longer rides I use a Camelback Classic. It has 70oz capacity and a small zipper pouch for cel phone, keys,etc. I also sometimes use a Camelback Siren with 50oz capacity if I'm going to make multiple loops on a short course training ride. The Siren also has a small pocket. For really long rides where I might want to carry extra clothes and want lots of fluid I occasionally use a Camelback HAWG with 100oz capacity. Usually I replace the stock tube with a "tube director" which has an insulated covering with a wire inside so you can position the bite valve in front of your mouth without having to reach for it. All the newer Camelbacks have a large-mouthed screw cap that makes for easy refilling.

You might also want to check out the Minoura line of behind the seat bottle carriers. I use the double one with velocity cages and Tri-Zone bottles and have never ejected a bottle from it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the "tube director" a camelbak-manufactured accessory/from some other company/homemade?
Quote Reply