Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calming My Nerves
Quote | Reply
Okay. My first Half IM is tomorrow. (I did one sprint tri last September and did one Olympic tri two weeks ago. So this is my third tri. I have, however, run 11 marathons.)

The key to my success in swimming, as many of you so helpfully pointed out, will be relaxation. This I know to be true.

So I'm trying to relax.

One way for me to be relaxed is to have everything ready, to take care of all the details. So I went last night and picked up my race packet. I dutifully put my race numbers on all my stuff. I packed all my gear and supplies for the transition areas. I laid out my tri jersey and shorts, with my HRM strap and sports watch/HRM receiver, and with the water-proof tape for my nipples. I put my ChampionChip on my sox, which I put on top of my shoes. I cleaned up, lubricated and tested my bike, and even had my LBS do a drive-chain cleanup and a derailleur tune-up. I double checked my checklists. Everything is ready.

In addition, I'm well trained. I've run about 30 mpw (including one 10 miler each week). I've done two one-mile swims in the last week (one in the lake, one in the pool). I've ridden 80-150 mpw over the past 12 weeks, including a 50-miler in my tri shorts last week. I've trained a total weekly average of almost 10 hours per week (not counting additional strength training time). And I'm well tapered (decreased volume but constant frequency and intensity over the past two weeks; no weight lifting at all during that time). Everything is ready.

But I'm still nervous.

I do relaxation and visualization exercises, watch my recorded tape of "Surviving Everest," surf the Internet, post messages (like this one), do other things to keep my mind off the event tomorrow, and try to relax.

Everything helps--some. But it's still a struggle. Micro-bursts of panic still set in from time to time.

I'll be okay because my relaxation efforts are working. Besides, if I weren't a bit nervous, I probably wouldn't do triathlons. After all, part of the kick is the challenge and the adrenaline.

But I am curious:

What do you do to relax? How do you maintain the "I'm out to have fun" attitude or the "I don't give a hoot" attitude so that you can go out and perform to your capacity?

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: Calming My Nerves [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to a large extent the "I am here for fun" attitude can't be feigned; it must be real. adopt it as a mantra and soon it will become real and you will perform like a river following its path, young grasshopper.

if that doesn't work have a couple beers and watch a movie.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A training buddy and I were talking about this on a ride recently. I have competed at various sports both team and individual and I have used a variety of methods to stay calm. The best method is to focus and not disassociate from your objectives. My key objective with IM is to race the best race that I can for given my the level of training and the conditions will allow me to.

I focus on some of my key strenghts and I do this by associating them with a visual image. In my squash playing days I would associate my key strength (I am very stubborn and dont give in easily) with the image of a metal rod running the lenght of my body. To me it signified unbending strenght and will power to overcome. When things werent going right I would go back to that image. This itself gave me a level of comfort that helps me stay calm before a race or match. I use to do the same before rubgy games, but added addtional components to the image to reflect the physical contact that was necessary. .

Another thing is to have a technique driven key word or image (for every leg), go back to the perfect key workouts you did and draw strenght from them, recall how you felt etc. In my squash days I relived perfect points and shots, in my case the perfect drop shot. In IM the key words for me are: relax and patience. The image I have used is me on my bike staying aero and riding calm and strong but within myself. I use a long training ride that went well as the backdrop. Same for run and swim. Essentially, you are telling yourself that the hard work is done and now its time to execute and have fun, your are fit and ready. It helps overcome some of those negative thoughts that can get into us.

Before the start of a match or race I look back to all those hard traning days and look for that visual cue that allows me to draw strenght to compete.

Hope this helps. I read a book by Terry Orlick called In Pursuit of Excellence and it has shaped the way I look at the mental side of the game.

Sounds like you are telling yourself all the right things so keep being positive.

Quote | Reply
I grew up as a swimmer and never really got nervous before a meet. The only time I would get nervous was the few seconds before my heat was to get up on the block. Just like when you step to the starting line of a running race. Then I would relax and go into the routine of going strong in the particular race I was doing.

Sounds like you are more than ready to have a successful race. I guarantee you everyone that steps up to the start of the swim for their first time at that distance is feeling exactly like you are. I know for me that I get that feeling every single time before any race just before the gun goes off. After that everything settles down just as if it's another training session staying within the guidelines you've set for yourself.

Use that nervous energy for the start of each leg of the race. Use the nervous energy and not the stored energy that your taper is creating for you.

Good luck and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

The one thing that I have found helps me most is to swim for a good 15 to 20 minutes before the race. I focus on relaxing during that time. My worst race ever was when I barely made it in time to the starting line and I had to jump in the water with no time to prepare myself.

You seem to be more than ready for the race. Enjoy it since it will be your last first try at the distance and let us know afterwards how it went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

this is the first time I have posted- sensing your nervousness...By the time you read this, your race will be over, and you will be relaxed. What I always tell myself before a race is..."I'm definitely not going to win my AG, and I'm definitely not coming in last." That way, the stress is somehow reduced, and I can concentrate on having fun. Usually, once I'm in the water, I stop stressing, which is surely what will happen to you. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!

Veronica from California
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So tell us how your race turned out, Scott? What went well? What didn't go so well? No matter how it turned out, be satisfied that you have done the best race you were capable of doing on that day. Improving is a process.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keeping calm before athletic events is not easy, but it pales in comparison to keeping calm before a dance exhibition. I can be out of my skin nervous before the first few steps, and I don't usually settle down until it is all over. Then, the other day, we had a patient that was crashing and dying before our eyes, we all had to work as fast as possible to try and save them...as soon as we established control of their cardiovascular system, I took my pulse...52. Triathlons and dance exhibitions aren't life and death, but danged if both don't jerk my heartrate up to at least double what the life and death situation did. So, I guess what I'm trying to convey is; experience helps a lot. Now that you've done your first, the next one will be a little easier...unless you find yourself actually aiming for the podium, or a PR, etc. My nervousness problem with Triathlons is that it's hard to do enough to really get to the experience level that I have with other (admittedly more important) situations, so I'll always be more nervous before triathlons (and dance exhibitions) than what I do every week.

Like someone else said...let us know how you did!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott, I'm guessing this was a non-issue for you assuming you were going to do the Utah 1/2 IM. If so, that's too bad. If not I hope things went well and look forward to hearing about it.
Quote Reply