Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by jmg1848
Re: Calling Palm Beach area triathletes [jmg1848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jmg,

Life in the Palm Beach area is pretty great for triathletes, especially Nov-March. Very active clubs (www.syndicate3.com) and www.teamloggerhead.com. S3 is mostly 25-35 men (I'm 34) and is very active thru their forum. Team Loggerhead is not very active online, but has excellent team practices and lots of racing.

Weather here is hot most of the year, but that gets you ready for Kona :-). Running and riding is completely flat, unless you seek out the numerous drawbridges. Riding Jupiter Island is a treat. 10 miles from tip to tip, $10 million mansions and the ocean as your scenery and NO CARS. I rode 3 laps last Saturday (60 miles) and if I saw 10 cars I would be surprised. I did see a ton of bikers, though. Good masters swimming at North Palm Beach CC, but it's pretty competitive. Ocean swimming is always available, though I did have an interesting experience on Sunday. Check out the forum at TNO and search for shark.

Lots (20+) of races within 2 hours of Palm Beach every year. There is a schedule at S3, but it's not completely accurate. I will email you an update.

Only downside to life as a 30-34 in Palm Beach is that you have no chance to win a race, unless John Reback passes on the race. I don't know him personally, but he seems like a nice guy. Wins everything from 1/2 marys (1:15) to Olys. Sister is a pro, dad qualifies for kona every year....you are racing for second. This doesn;t bother me, since I'm just racing for myself.

Later
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that by far the best race in the area is St. Anthony's over in St. Petersburg, held at the end of April every year. It is an Olympic distance race. The pros race on Saturday, the mortals on Sunday. It sold out in one week this year, so sign up on 12/1.

I really enjoy the Boca race sponsored by FAU every year in early April. It is sprint distance. No problem getting entry to that race. There are a variety of sprint distance races during the season in Lake Worth, Jupiter and Miami that you can find in Active.com. For any longer distance I think you have to go up to Clermont. They have a heavy schedule up there.

I am not familiar with training clubs, though there is a bike club in West Palm that I think is active.

Welcome to the heat of South Florida. Try to stay cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi jmg,

South Florida is a great place to be a triathlete. Year round training, lots of races, great competition, and no hills (good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at it :)). Like Ironstevie said there are a couple of local tri-clubs (Tri-Syndicate, and Team Loggerhead). I train and race with guys from both groups. I also swim with the North Palm Beach Masters group occassionally which is made up of some of the areas best triathletes (ie. John Reback, Linda Neary, George Robb, Paul Reback...the list goes on). If you get the urge for some hills, Clermont is just a short 2hr drive away and you can usually find someone who is up for the drive. I'm only 24, so I can't tell you what life is like for the M30-34 triathletes, but the area has been great for me - and those guys are way faster!! Check out www.syndicate3.com and www.teamloggerhead.com for training and racing schedules. Hope to see you out there!

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jmg1848 [ In reply to ]
Re: Where is the best place to live? [jmg1848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't find a better pool than the Coral Springs Aquatic Center. It has an Olympic sized pool, 25 meter pool and a diving pool, great programs and is a great resource.

The roads in most of western Broward are very good riding roads. Wide lanes and shoulder with only the occasional crazy driver. The South Broward Wheelers will give most people as much cycling as they can handle.

The running stinks. There is not much in the way of trails around me. It is hot and flat.
Quote Reply