Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas.
Quote | Reply
If you have ideas for products you'd buy, and want someone else to make it for you, then we'll be fast friends.

This thread is to crowdsource innovative ideas.

Maybe some smart people with skilled hands will hear the demand and provide us tools for easier lives, more enjoyable experiences, and allow us more focus on what matters.

This forum has been known to spawn and further some pretty cool ideas over the years. (Zwift & TrainerRoad to name a couple!)

I have more bad ideas than good, so I hope this'll be a soft landing place for your half-baked idea, and mine!

---------------------------------------------------------

Here's an idea from this morning:

An easy-on, magnetically guided, twist-lock bottle mount system.

Optimal UX here = large, easy, secure, and no harder to squeeze, clean or otherwise use than any other bottle.

Like a large Wahoo Bolt mount designed for bottles with contact-point attraction so that I just have to get my bottle in the vicinity and it wants to snap into place.

I'd spend extra to guarantee my bottles stay with me like I guarantee my bike computer stays mounted. I'd especially pay extra if the bottles were easier to get back in the cage without looking.

Maybe I just need more hand-bottle-cage-coordination.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(guess I should have googled before thinking my idea was revolutionary)

Someone made a bottle for me already. Now they just need to make Alex-sized bottles. (700-1000mL plz!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

(guess I should have googled before thinking my idea was revolutionary)

Someone made a bottle for me already. Now they just need to make Alex-sized bottles. (700-1000mL plz!)

(cough)
https://fidlock-bike.us/...0-replacement-bottle

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly I googled my innovative idea in great haste.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My idea isn’t anything new… it’s more of a plea. I would like a simple, tough, TOUGH, waterproof, bone conduction FM radio. I’m tired of paying big bucks for blue tooth capable music downloadable bone conduction headphones, every couple years, just to get a simple radio. That don’t last, and crap out right when the warrantee is up. I’m over the music file thing, and not interested in hauling a phone everywhere. I just want to tune into my local news, talk, or classic rock station, and zone out on my runs and swims.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
My idea isn’t anything new… it’s more of a plea. I would like a simple, tough, TOUGH, waterproof, bone conduction FM radio. I’m tired of paying big bucks for blue tooth capable music downloadable bone conduction headphones, every couple years, just to get a simple radio. That don’t last, and crap out right when the warrantee is up. I’m over the music file thing, and not interested in hauling a phone everywhere. I just want to tune into my local news, talk, or classic rock station, and zone out on my runs and swims.

Amen to that (there's another thread on here I made a similar post). I run with a small 'stick' sony MP3 what has a built in FM radio - only ever use the radio. And corded ear hook headphones. Sadly even getting decent corded headphones is a nightmare now since my bose sports ears cable went and they don't make them any more. I bought 4 pairs of sony ones so that I have a stock but the FM is now my worry - last month the MP3 has been needing a 'reset' after it's been charged.

Anyway on same vein. A tiny clip on mini camera for taking low res photos (ie for strava/instaspam). Waterpoof and able to grab a picture of nice sun on a lake or dawn rising as I'm out for a run or ride without needing to carry $2k of phone with me. In 1999 someone at work had a camera the size and shape of a credit card (literally). Could store about 20 photos and was probably 800x600 pixels. But 22 years later THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!! Not a bloody gopro that has a battery life of half a ride - sure it can record at a detail that is good enough to win an oscar for cinematography, but as it's always just left at home then that seems unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fidlock does cool stuff. They were considering a non-wirebcompetitor to BOA shoe closures but haven’t heard anything for 6 years…

What I’d like is active suspension on a TT bike. The new Trek isospeed is not really active. I’d like something as active as an eeSilk system for the seatpost and under the aerobars.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a waterproof corded headphone radio, for folks looking for that.

Quote:
Sadly even getting decent corded headphones is a nightmare now

Uh... wow. This seems kinda nuts to me, given that we're pretty much smack dab in the middle of the "Chi-Fi" headphone revolution, and there is literally a greater variety of high quality/hi fidelity/low price headphones available than at any point in human history. There are something like 1000 different models on the Crinacle IEM list alone...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love this idea. I'll add:

I'm awaiting the day that aero shocks exist.

I want a full suspension road bike with electronic wireless lockout.

I think folks have long over-estimated the energetic cost of suspension due to pedal bob, and long underestimated the energetic benefits of suspension for reducing rolling resistance and instability / vibration-related muscular fatigue and energy cost.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Here's a waterproof corded headphone radio, for folks looking for that.

Quote:

Sadly even getting decent corded headphones is a nightmare now

Uh... wow. This seems kinda nuts to me, given that we're pretty much smack dab in the middle of the "Chi-Fi" headphone revolution, and there is literally a greater variety of high quality/hi fidelity/low price headphones available than at any point in human history. There are something like 1000 different models on the Crinacle IEM list alone...

Lol I think Alex has somehow actually invented what 'Just Jeeves' professed to be ;-)

I used to have Amazon.com: Bose SoundSport in-ear headphones for Samsung and Android devices, Charcoal : Electronics These they stopped making years ago. But really it's all noise cancelling and bluetooth now as most of the top end phones don't have sockets so I can see that wired headphones is a niche market, especially when merged with wanting them to be waterproof and stable enough for running.

And your radio - pretty much where I got to, essentially no brand products. Your main audio/consumer brands have left FM radio but I love the ability to hear the news as I run and the variety you get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably alone in this but I'd prefer a smartwatch that ditches the wrist HR monitor and keeps it to GPS, mapping, timer, clock, alarm, the basics (maybe with ANT+/bluetooth), if it meant significant decreases in size and/or weight and/or increases in durability and battery life.

Also bonus points to someone who develops a reasonably priced swim wetsuit made out of sustainable materials (e.g., natural rubber).
Last edited by: kem: Mar 28, 22 20:31
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [kem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chest hrm with inductive charging. Sealed so it lasts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to make a Bottom Bracket that is special. One that basically does exactly what every other BB does, except this would be just unique enough to require its own crank, set of tools, shell, etc. And it HAS to be compatible with only about 30% of the other BB standards out there (I could make a chart), and HAS to require very special proprietary adapters to make it work in the remaining 99% of use cases. The adapters are really, really key to the success of all of ^this.^
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I'd like to make a Bottom Bracket that is special. One that basically does exactly what every other BB does, except this would be just unique enough to require its own crank, set of tools, shell, etc. And it HAS to be compatible with only about 30% of the other BB standards out there (I could make a chart), and HAS to require very special proprietary adapters to make it work in the remaining 99% of use cases. The adapters are really, really key to the success of all of ^this.^

haha, well played.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone could design it so that its dimensions are remarkably close to another existing BB but still completely incompatible, that'd be great.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [oddbudman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oddbudman wrote:
Chest hrm with inductive charging. Sealed so it lasts.
I had a polar strap 20 years ago that did this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

It is essential that this product begins creaking annually, preferably within 4 weeks of a major race. Maybe have it sync with TrainingPeaks so that it can start creaking early?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Love this idea. I'll add:

I'm awaiting the day that aero shocks exist.

I want a full suspension road bike with electronic wireless lockout.

I think folks have long over-estimated the energetic cost of suspension due to pedal bob, and long underestimated the energetic benefits of suspension for reducing rolling resistance and instability / vibration-related muscular fatigue and energy cost.

Tyler Butterfield has a Cannondale Scalpel with drop bars and slick tires that is pretty darn fast. When he opens up the front/rear suspension on a descent, he gets crazy low and we can't keep up.

As for my idea. something like this:

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 29, 22 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can it be AM too? My attitude is older than my age.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
Can it be AM too? My attitude is older than my age.
Works for me!

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still screw up my nutrition 10X IMs into this sport. I love the idea of a condensed bottle of nutrition that I can mix on the fly with water in my BTA bottle. Some people seem to be wizards at this, I am not.

My "innovative" idea that probably also exists, a dual chamber BTA bottle that holds pre mixed, very dense nutrition of choice in chamber one, and water in chamber two that I can refill normally from the top with water from aide stations.

Then I can fill with water as normal and just squeeze or press something in on chamber two to add the nutrition mix through a one way valve. I think just riding along should mix it adequately but maybe that needs a better solution (pun intended).

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work with AI for detecting humans on images, so developed a little tool for bike fitting at home in my spare time. Would love some feedback, additional measurement ideas, and thoughts about sharing this. Thanks!

Sample of bike fitting:

Sample of my neural network working on random sports videos:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was contacted by a pro cyclist last year to design some ultra adjustable and hot swappable aero extensions for the wind tunnel.
Unfortunately the timeline and language barrier (and my own lack of ability) kept it from materializing beyond rough prototypes (which I think would have worked fine but I don't think his team were keen on it.)

Roughly, the main body (I could never get exact dimensions of the base bar bolt pattern, so I put a cutout in the design so you could just drill two holes on site, but ideally you'd have a more elegant solution for specific base bar mounting) is "static" and supports majority of rider weight/attaches pad and accepts whatever end is used.
The actual bend/grip section would be hot swappable (multiple pieces) that connected - again in the quick design held by friction but a thru bolt/etc could be used, the idea isn't ultimate structural strength, just has to have some support on a trainer. These could also be made longer/shorter as needed.
In the last picture T-slots are in the body of the bar... allowing you to attach an armrest and have considerable fore-aft adjustment.

Ideally you'd print them in Ti or another robust material. For my cheap "will it work" testing PLA held up printed at high infill (obviously not long term)

Unfortunately, basically everyone I talked to ended up "wanting" something you could use on the road...which is difficult. Original idea was for wind tunnels/fitters only.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Mar 30, 22 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want someone to make an "upside down" bottle cage for BTS mounts. Think of Tacx Tao style, but the mounts are on the top, not the bottom. This puts the hook on the back, and most of the cage on the bottom for support.

See your bike fit. https://bikefitr.appspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Manufacturers, Startups, Inventors. Crowdsourcing innovative ideas. [bmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmart wrote:
I work with AI for detecting humans on images
This is awesome. Thank you for sharing it here.

How well does it work on people in "regular" exercise clothing that isn't form-fitting?

This is outside the endurance sport realm, but...

An AI-based weight training coach at home that can match or exceed my video coaching skills would be a "shut up and take my money" scenario for millions of folks.

I don't believe any of the current systems do it well and until I considered AI, today, I have often estimated that we're 20-30 years from technology making this possible. All my thinking there had come from the lab equipment and tech development that I've seen in biomech labs.

If you make an AI human detector that can ascertain reasonably accurate assessments of what a person's spine is doing, along with the limbs, and partner with someone who can coach human movement, plus someone who can make a beautiful and intuitive UI, you'll change the world.

Quote Reply

Prev Next