Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf Sprain 4 weeks before 70.3
Quote | Reply
Just looking for some advice. Had a calf sprain while running last week. Took last week off, no running (but did cycle and swim as they caused no pain). Thought I was mostly healed, and went for a run yesterday, and had the pain recur after about a mile. Stopped immediately, and walked home. Plan to treat with rest, rolling, no running, but to continue biking and swimming as planned if no pain. If pain free before the race, may try a few short runs, but I'm done with long runs at this point.

Now, if this had been closer to my race, I wouldn't worry about lost fitness, but a month is a long time. My long runs have been 1.5 hours or more for several months, and my biking and swimming are strong and long. My current plan is to heal as much as possible before the race, and see what happens on race day. This isn't my first 70.3 or anything, so I'm not hung up on finishing well, just finishing. After the race, I have the rest of the year to recover better.

My question is, any advice for other activities that may help mitigate some of the lost running fitness?
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Sprain 4 weeks before 70.3 [RJSuperfreaky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, don't roll it. Just let it heal. Rolling if anything, now, will just irritate it.

Bechmarks to start running include

1) Able to brisk walk 20 minutes without pain

2) Can hop up and down (as if jumping rope) for 2 minutes without pain

When starting out, do a walk/run ratio of 2 min/1 min for 10-12 minutes. Keep it flat. Do this 2-3 times first. If no pain,
gradually progress run time, if you can get up to a 40-45 minute run before your race, that should suffice.

Swim and bike to maintain fitness. Check your cleat position on bike through...if it's too far anterior that will create a bit more torque on the calf complex. Try to avoid pointing toes, keep a relaxed ankle posture.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Sprain 4 weeks before 70.3 [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Don't roll it.

I have never tried the hopping drill. One legged calf raises are also a good test. Be careful with the running. I have found that there is very little pre-indication of strain so it makes it tough reintroducing running without the injury risk. Best bet is to go see a PT and hopefully find an anti-gravity treadmill (Alter G). Depending on severity you are looking at 2 to 4 weeks before running pain free. I can't stress enough how beneficial an Alter G is to recovering from calf strains.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Sprain 4 weeks before 70.3 [70Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other activities to try while on a break from running are step mill and water running.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Sprain 4 weeks before 70.3 [70Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a good massage from a legit person. They can roll the knots in the other places that are likely aggravating the calf. I had a similar issue below the calf last week and the massage therapist killed me in all the areas that were triggering the issue (eg: hamstring, tight hips, etc...). If they can get those knots out the new blood flow should hit the calf and heal itself. Worked for me! Back to running without at issues. IM this weekend! Key is to get on top of it ASAP!
Quote Reply