Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CSPC and all that...
Quote | Reply
I realized that my helmet does not have the CSPC sticker inside...of course....I bought it 8 yrs ago in Australia...however the Limar 107 is CSPC certified...what's the deal with helmet checking? Do I need to go steal a sticker from a $15 helmet at walmart?
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After 8 years one might think you could fork out for a new lid, professor.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After 8 years one might think you could fork out for a new lid, professor.

Too funny.

I don't know how cycling works but similar safety regulations happened when I raced motorcyles and they quickly caught onto the sticker thing.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the limar 107 does its job and looks good and is cspc certified. spend $100 for a sticker, a silly rule, because i can afford it? bs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on Khai, aero helmets in child sizes are pretty hard to come by...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all honesty, I would not want to wear an 8 year old helmet.

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 years old? You might as well just put a bandana on to protect your head. Seriously. 8 years old?

--
"Rock and roll, dude." -- Dave Z., on winning TTs in all 3 Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [guywithabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing there says that because it's 8yrs I should change it

http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

for me, 8yrs is a long time in the helmet world. i replace mine every three years, and each time i am amazed at how much better they feel and how much more secure they feel on my head.

i don't need to replace them of course. but the improvement i notice of fit is worth it alone.

but.. it is another bike part in my mind. and i have never needed much excuse to replace bike parts. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it from the last time you finished a race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Explain this to me. No sarcasm on my part! A MTB helmet that takes a few licks 1-2 times per week, A road helmet that you wear 3 times per week, a TT helmet that you use 10 times per year. How long should you keep them if you inspect them and store them in a cool dry dark place? 8 years with the TT helmet would just be 80 times on the head.
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [barry_c56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You joined the forum just to make that remark? Classy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is it from the last time you finished a race?
That's just mean.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois

I wonder if you e-mailed Limar if they would send you a sticker? Otherwise, yes, I would "borrow" one from a wal-mart helmet. There is nothing wrong with an 8 year old helmet. Especially if it has not been worn too much. I can't imagine there would be any significant degredation in that time. Don't they say that styrofoam cups will last 10,000 years in a landfill or something like that?

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just think helmets sometimes just fall down on the ground specially in triathlon transitions in the haste to get to the next step, or a friendly rack neighbor knocks it down. Also on the way to or from the transition area as people have their hands full with transition gear and body marking etc, I often see and hear helmets "land" on the ground. Little impacts for sure, but how confident do you feel about the integrity?

Additionally, how often do our helmets sit forever in hot cars? Does that help their integrity?

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you bought it 8 years ago, CPSC may not even have been the standard then. I think there's something in the rules about if its manufactured prior to 2000, some other standards apply. If that's the case, you would need to have one of those stickers in it.
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Francois

I wonder if you e-mailed Limar if they would send you a sticker? Otherwise, yes, I would "borrow" one from a wal-mart helmet. There is nothing wrong with an 8 year old helmet. Especially if it has not been worn too much. I can't imagine there would be any significant degredation in that time. Don't they say that styrofoam cups will last 10,000 years in a landfill or something like that?

Mike

There are plenty of things wrong with a 8 year old helmet. The most significant thing wrong with the helmet is that it does not meet current standards.

The current standards are there to protect your brain in case of a crash. The older helmets will traumatize your brain in case of impact. Do you really want to abuse to brain like that?

I think a $150 expense to protect your brain is a worthwhile investment.
Last edited by: Raptor: May 29, 08 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're funny. did you blow a clown?
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought it in Oz where CSPC was never a standard in the first place (I think). Anyway, Herbert has made some valid comments as it's true that we drop helmets every now and then...
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Francois

Mike

There are plenty of things wrong with a 8 year old helmet. The most significant thing wrong with the helmet is that it does not meet current standards.

The current standards are there to protect your brain in case of a crash. The older helmets will traumatize your brain in case of impact. Do you really want to abuse to brain like that?

Have the standards changed in 8 years?
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Francois

Mike

So as it turns out, current CPSC standards for bicycle helmets are dated 1998, so an 8 year old helmet that met CPSC standards 8 years ago meets the standards today, because they are the same.

CPSC's Bicycle Helmet Standard The Final Rule, Published in the Federal Register
March 10, 1998.
This is still the current standard, with one slight modification of the language on projections above the helmet shell. At the bottom of this page we have links to the CPSC page for the official version of this standard.
http://www.helmets.org/cpscstd.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no personal knowledge, but I would venture that if you crash at a USAT santioned event, and you plan on making a medical claim, your helmet will be looked at very closely post-crash. Wouldn't you do that if you were the insurance carrier? Oh, and show the receipt too. ;-)

One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Stuff that rocks: <fawning links here>
Quote Reply
Re: CSPC and all that... [JHo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That comment and the sensible comments of Herbert sealed it...got a new one. I'll send the old one to barry_c56 along with the receipt and my 2000 last finisher t-shirt. Frame it, it's as rare as a jackalope.
Quote Reply