Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded
Quote | Reply
advantages/disadvantages of each? i use a small threaded innovations pump with 16g cartridges and it works fine, but i'm wondering if i had to buy it over again if threadless would be better. thoughts?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use non threaded to train with because they are much cheaper. You can get a box of 24 at the local sporting goods store. The threaded are better to bring with you for a race. My adapter can use both threaded and non threaded.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [Fast&Crooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. what's the reason that a threaded is better to race with? more dependable or something? until recently i only owned a CO2 pump and had to use that to top off my tires before rides (my old crappy floor pump wouldn't go over about 50psi) and got really tired of spending $5 for 3 cartridges.

i now have a floor pump (thanks LBS for the perfect sale on every item i needed) so it's not really an issue, but i'm just curious as to why they make both kinds.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For races, you can get a Microflate, which is smaller and lighter, but only works with threaded cartridges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this is a strange question, but am I the last person on earth that actually carries (and uses if necessary) a regular silca hand-operated frame pump? or a mini pump (mtb)?

A cartridge?? Unless you are a pro (where every bloody second counts) or have very weak arms, why can't a hand pump work fine? And why would anyone in their right mind use CO2 cartriges for training???

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Threaded C02's are usually 16grams and non threaded are usually 12 gram. 16 grams will fill your tire to 110ish psi and 12grams will fill to 90psi.

On a training ride 90 psi will get you home fine. I think I may have paid like $10 for 24 C02's non threaded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually all the shops around me have 16g and 12g threaded, so i figure there must be something else. is one more efficient than the other or something?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. I race with the threaded, lighter. Be sure you are wearing gloves with these. Unthreaded cheaper better for training.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used to use a frame pump and it worked great, but then it was stolen with my bike. my LBS recommended the CO2 pump when i bought my bike.

i have the innovations microflate and love it, just wish cartridges were cheaper.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the non-threaded variety in a pellet-gun to shoot at your competition. Also cheaper and more available if you get lots of flats.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so everything i'm hearing points to non threaded as the way to go. same performance out of both, but non threaded is cheaper.

so thanks for everyone's info. just found out my job is being moved overseas so i'm gonna bike home now, probably faster than usual. hopefully i don't have to use my pump.

peace out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use a micro pump (Blackburn Airstick 1), and it's never held me back. I've been fortunate to not flat in a race, but in training, I can change out a flat in 2 minutes or less, including airing up the tire. So what's the advantage? I figure if I flat in a rae, though, it's over anyway... (non-IM situation).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [Saddlesore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a co2 for the first time yesterday. the glove is a good recommendation. that sombich got cold in a hurry and about stuck to my hand.

Quote | Reply
Non-threaded CO2 cartridges can be found for really cheap, but if you're a high PSI kind of person you'll need 2 to satisfy. I use them because I don't really mind riding slightly less pressure if I have to.

For training though, I carry my trusty Zefal HPX. I went full circle from the HP in the 80's, to the Blackburn mini in the 90's, to CO2, and back to my trusty frame pump. It simply can't be beat.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a threaded CO2 pump if anyone wants it. Free. Just get it from me.

I will be at WF, AIT and the half Vineman. Anyone that wants it can have it. Let me know.

I use non-threaded, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Last edited by: Styk33: Apr 13, 05 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the 12 gram ones for BB guns, they are WAY cheaper. Save the 16 grammers for races.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A cartridge?? Unless you are a pro (where every bloody second counts) or have very weak arms, why can't a hand pump work fine? Sure, a pump can work fine, but I'll never use one again - CO2 rocks!Plus, I hate the way pumps look on a frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The people at Innovations will tell you that you shouldn't use the CO2 you can buy at Walmart or the sporting goods stores because they contain a small amount of oil used for lubrication and that this oil will eventually break down the tube.

I'm not sure if I believe them. They obviously want you to buy their CO2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a bizarre coincidence. My name is Bryce D as well......... Thats just surreal.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key word there is "eventually". How long do your tubes last. I would think the tube will wear out before the small amount of oil has any effect.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know why, for me, a hand pump won't work, and that is that a decent one only works on a regular double diamond bike frame. I have not had one for a tri bike in many years. The ones that are teeny tiny are so woefully bad that I could blow into the tyre a lot faster than pump it.

The silliest one that I have seen is a carpet, er, um carbon fibre-barelled pump. How much weight are you going to save over plastic (which most are made of plastic these days)?

My last frame pump went into someone's spokes a few years back. I have never bought one since.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 pump: threaded or non threaded [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if you inflate your tyres with the cheaper CO2 daily, certainly it will.

I am thinking back, and I got a bunch of glass buried into a tyre and tube LONG before the oil of cheap CO2's could have eaten my tube, and I was weaiting for my new Silca pump, so I had aired my tyres every day with cheap CO2. hmmm...

There is enough talc inside the tyre that it would absorb the trivial amount of oil that the cheaper CO2's would impart. If you feel scared over this, remove the valve, add a bit more talc, and ride worry-free.

My bullshit meter has broken from being pegged for so long while reading about the "dangers" of cheap CO2 cartriges. Do you know someone who could fix the movement? A regular watchmaker could fix the movement of my bullshit meter, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  "Perhaps this is a strange question, but am I the last person on earth that actually carries (and uses if necessary) a regular silca handoperated frame pump? or a mini pump (mtb)? "
Yes, you are just about the last person.

"A cartridge?? Unless you are a pro (where every bloody second counts) or have very weak arms, why can't a hand pump work fine? And why would anyone in their right mind use CO2 cartriges for training??? "

"Most use the cartridge because its easy and fast. Why would you want to stop and get off your bike for any longer period than absolutely necessary. I ride in the morning before work and stopping for a flat usually makes me late getting into the office as it is. Besides, with my skinny little cyclist arms its a bitch pumping 120psi. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're also the only one prepared for a pitbull attack (by carrying a frame pump)....
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]

Prev Next