Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy?
Quote | Reply
I'm only doing 3-4 tri's this year and want to ride my Powertap...looks like the CH Aero Wheel cover would do the trick for me, but I don't want to train with it on all summer. How easy/quick is it to install and remove? Do you need to remove the cassette?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you have to remove the cassette.

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's been hashed out before...but at 1.2 pounds, that cover is a tank!
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know it's been hashed out before...but at 1.2 pounds, that cover is a tank!

But it's still faster than not having a disc at all, even on hilly courses.
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh yea right, yep, you betcha....that's why all the pros and UCI riders are using them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Uh yea right, yep, you betcha....that's why all the pros and UCI riders are using them!

Pros and UCI riders that want power data use SRMs for the most part, and so can ride normal discs.

Us poor folk that need to buy our own gear can't always afford the slickest setups.

I'm sorry if our low-budget rigs insult your sense of cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Uh yea right, yep, you betcha..."

A disc is a disc is a disc.

Educate yourself. CH Aero disc cover tested against a Zipp disc in a wind tunnel. The results will shock you.

It doesn't weight 1.2 lbs either. Are the covers made of lead?

Here's the test.

http://www.biketechreview.com/projects.htm
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew this would get you going! ;o)

How much does it weigh?

According to Excel.... 540 grams!!!! ouch.

http://www.excelsports.com/...major=1&minor=24

Also...this would be a perfect example of how wind tunnel data is not accurate. There are no races held in a wind tunnel. They are held outside and should take into consideration MANY other variables than straight ahead wind speed.

But...really, I don't want to argue that. Your perception is your reality.

The orig poster doesn't say what wheel the PT is build. But, if it's a 303 or 404........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it doesn't feel that heavy, but maybe it is.

Wind tunnel testing is quite accurate in simulating real world conditions. The discs are tested at different yaw angles, not just strait on.

It's just as fast as any other disc unless you're climbing the Alps.

A disc is a disc is a disc. Although I'll admit that a Zipp is truly a work of art. You can't compete with the quality of construction and lightness with a $60. wheel cover.

But then, I paid only thirty bucks for mine second hand on ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll leave it to the rest of you to waste your time arguing if it's faster than a "real" disc. I'm already "sold". Back to my original question...how long to install/remove it? Am I looking at 15-30 minutes, or what?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry,

It's quite fast to install/remove if you have a cassette removal tool. 10 minutes or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit I made a stupid mistake when I got mine. I made a hole big enough for the powertap hub shell, then I realized - I cut it on the wrong side. This worked out for the best as now I can install the thing and I don't have to remove the cassette. :)

Installation takes the longest. The reason for this is that you have to carefully align it so that it will not interfere with your brake pads. Sometimes you get lucky and get it right the first time. Removal is very quick - about five-ten minutes. Installation is not something I would leave to day of race - you don't want to be installing this and drop a nut or screw in the grass somewhere. Do it at least one day before and put a training wheel on the bike for transport.

If you contact CH-Aero directly they can sell you a carbon fiber version that weighs I think 200 grams less. Cutting this is a bit more trouble (carbon fiber dust is like coal dust to the lungs).
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got contact info for CH Aero? I wouldn't mind checking out that carbon version.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/message.html?mid=909874398
Quote Reply
Re: CH Aero Wheel Cover removal...how easy? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to admit I made a stupid mistake when I got mine. I made a hole big enough for the powertap hub shell, then I realized - I cut it on the wrong side. This worked out for the best as now I can install the thing and I don't have to remove the cassette. :)

This is why I ordered mine from Rich at wheelbuilder.com. He knows what rim I have, and the cover will arrive at my door with the hub hole already cut, and the outer edge trimmed to fit my particular rim. A few more bucks and no worries.

I just don't want to muck it up with my limited fabrication skills.
Quote Reply