Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
CBD and racing
Quote | Reply
I had been having some trouble with pre-race anxiety and a friend of mine recommended CBD oil. I tried it once prior to my race, just to make sure I felt ok on it, and then took 20mg before my race. I *do* feel like it helped quite a lot with pre-race anxiety. But when I got to the bike leg, I just could not get my heart rate up no matter what. I donā€™t have a power meter and train only with heart rate- normally for a race I would average around 147bpm on the bike- but yesterday, I could not get over 120. Has anyone else had this effect? Do you feel like it negatively impacts power output?
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
I had been having some trouble with pre-race anxiety and a friend of mine recommended CBD oil. I tried it once prior to my race, just to make sure I felt ok on it, and then took 20mg before my race. I *do* feel like it helped quite a lot with pre-race anxiety. But when I got to the bike leg, I just could not get my heart rate up no matter what. I donā€™t have a power meter and train only with heart rate- normally for a race I would average around 147bpm on the bike- but yesterday, I could not get over 120. Has anyone else had this effect? Do you feel like it negatively impacts power output?

My issue is the swim anxiety. I'm going to be taking CBD prior to open water swims to deal with anxiety. Like you, I'll take it prior to my first swim to see if it has any side effects. I haven't bought it yet. But I've identified what I want to take.

I have a friend who's a pharmacist and is selling CBD locally. I could ask him about heart rate? Maybe I can get him to come and do an AMA? He's been a pharmacist for over 30 years and has been studying cannabis and all the derivatives for some time.

I'll try to find this thread to see how my HR is affected. I also presume it matters how you take it. Cream? Sublingual? Capsule? All have different absorption rates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use cbd daily, I have never had an issue with heart rate. I have used the floyds of Leadville hydration while racing and training with no ill effects. Try reducing your dosage.

Are you using full spectrum or isolate?
What product are you using

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So- they are little white pills- I donā€™t know the brand. I was told that is was 20mg pure CBD isolate- not full spectrum. I did not want to take anything that might impair my bike handling. I felt a meaningful difference within 15-30 minutes of taking the pill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m sure they are okay. Iā€™d reduce the hell out of that dosage if you feel it. Also the first time you take it you may feel it, that dissipates quickly

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Pro Safe CBD. Anthony Famiglietti (former olympian) helped develop this. I have been using it now for 2 months to help with my Hallux Rigidus and absolutely love it!

https://www.prosafecbd.com/

Scott DeFilippis
Professional Triathlete
Coach and Co/Founder
KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [sdiycdiycdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are taking cbd for anxiety, do you need to take it every day or just randomly when you are feeling anxious. Wanted to get some for my wife, who has some anxiety periodically. Wen to a local cbd store. They recommended some drops but said you need to take every day to get your body to a base level. Then when you feel the anxiety coming on you can take an increase in the dosage to ease the anxiety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's his answer:

"CBD does not affect HR. It can decrease BP usually by decreasing anxiety. That's why golfers are starting to use it more to enhance their game. A relaxed swing is usually a more accurate one. Secondly to enhance muscle recovery by the anti inflammatory effects much like an ice bath after strenuous activity"
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
If you are taking cbd for anxiety, do you need to take it every day or just randomly when you are feeling anxious. Wanted to get some for my wife, who has some anxiety periodically. Wen to a local cbd store. They recommended some drops but said you need to take every day to get your body to a base level. Then when you feel the anxiety coming on you can take an increase in the dosage to ease the anxiety.

It is tough- because there are no real guidelines- how much? How often? How long does it last? I donā€™t know. I just know that for my last 2 Ironman races I had such severe crippling anxiety at the start- I nearly felt like I was going to faint before I took a single stroke. When I took the CBD yesterday- I felt totally normal. The way I used to feel at races when I was younger. I was standing next to a woman whose hands were trembling as she was trying to adjust her goggles- and I thought- wow. That used to be me.

I feel like it must block adrenergic responsiveness in some way-because one of the things that happens when I have that pre-race panic is that my heart rate is super high just standing doing nothing at the start. That did not happen yesterday. But later, when I wanted my heart to kick in-I could not get it to go either.
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

I have been taking Floydā€™s CBD https://floydsofleadville.com/...softgel-50mg-qty-60/ for over a year now just for overall body aches and a bad back. I take a 50mg gel every other day and it really helps. One ā€œside effectā€ I did notice is it really decreases anxiety. Now, I donā€™t have anxiety, but I think my house could burn down and as long as no one gets hurt.....Iā€™d not stress too much over it. Itā€™ll all work out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this is a newish supplement, trend. As in many things that get trendy fast, there are companies out there that are looking to make a quick buck.
Quality sourced product is what you should look for. There are a few great companies out there, floyds of Leadville is what I use but just do research. Floyds has a bunch of info on their site http://www.floydsofleadville.com. (FOL25JW) for a discountšŸ˜‰

Please know what you are putting in your body.
If you have more questions I will be happy to help you, email me echelonhealthcoaching@gmail.com

Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Here's his answer:

"CBD does not affect HR. It can decrease BP usually by decreasing anxiety. That's why golfers are starting to use it more to enhance their game. A relaxed swing is usually a more accurate one. Secondly to enhance muscle recovery by the anti inflammatory effects much like an ice bath after strenuous activity"

Where is the source of your quote? I haven't seen anything out yet that mentions the use of CBD as an enhancement, which in this case it would be.

To the OP, there could be a slew of variables affecting your HR. Also, I wouldn't take anything like this for the first time in a race setting. Honestly, I don't think I would want to decrease those pre-race jitters or feel "comfortable" before the gun goes off for fear of being too relaxed and not having the pop I would want. I have taken CBD and have a lot of my friends who do as well, but I prefer the 100% full spectrum :)) Post race and training of course

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Last edited by: AlyraD: Jun 4, 19 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Chan wrote:
Here's his answer:

Where is the source of your quote? I haven't seen anything out yet that mentions the use of CBD as an enhancement, which in this case it would be.

To the OP, there could be a slew of variables affecting your HR. Also, I wouldn't take anything like this for the first time in a race setting. Honestly, I don't think I would want to decrease those pre-race jitters or feel "comfortable" before the gun goes off for fear of being too relaxed and not having the pop I would want. I have taken CBD and have a lot of my friends who do as well, but I prefer the 100% full spectrum :)) Post race and training of course

If you read my post you'll notice I said I would ask my pharmacist friend. He's extremely knowledgeable on everything cannabis, hemp, cbd etc.

As for inflammation there's more than plenty information out there that suggests so.

As for taking it for racing, it's all about dosing and knowing how it reacts to one's body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are racing and using CBD you should read this.

https://www.usada.org/...w-about-cannabidiol/

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I'm a proponent of its usage. But you said you took it once prior to a race so I wouldn't think that is an appropriate experimentation time to understand what the dosing does with your body. Either way though, not like this shit is cocaine or even as bad as taking ibuprofen so doesn't really matter on the physical side. I just feel like I wouldn't want to relax more before a race, but to each their own.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I agree. I'm a proponent of its usage. But you said you took it once prior to a race so I wouldn't think that is an appropriate experimentation time to understand what the dosing does with your body. Either way though, not like this shit is cocaine or even as bad as taking ibuprofen so doesn't really matter on the physical side. I just feel like I wouldn't want to relax more before a race, but to each their own.

Just to clarify- I took it once the Thursday prior to the race- just to make sure it did not have any weird side effects... and then again race morning.

I did read the WADA guidance prior. Iā€™m a MOP age grouper- so I am not totally paranoid about the WADA police- but I do like to play by the rules and it seems like CBD is completely permissible. THC is not. While there is a remote possibility of cross contamination- I think it would be really be highly unlikely that a single 20mg pure CBD tablet would cause one to test positive for THC. Not to mention that no one would ever look at my finish times and suspect that I got there with anything other than beer and lots of rest days.
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:

Yep, my company just had to put out the same warning.

Quote:
Because itā€™s nearly impossible to extract only CBD from the cannabis plant, athletes should assume that CBD products are probably mixtures of CBD and other prohibited cannabinoids, including THC, CBN, CBG, etc. Depending on whether the CBD was extracted from a high-THC plant (more than 0.3% THC, or marijuana) or a low-THC plant (less than 0.3 percent or hemp), different CBD preparations could have differing levels of THC.
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
rockdude wrote:

Yep, my company just had to put out the same warning.

Quote:
Because itā€™s nearly impossible to extract only CBD from the cannabis plant, athletes should assume that CBD products are probably mixtures of CBD and other prohibited cannabinoids, including THC, CBN, CBG, etc. Depending on whether the CBD was extracted from a high-THC plant (more than 0.3% THC, or marijuana) or a low-THC plant (less than 0.3 percent or hemp), different CBD preparations could have differing levels of THC.

For sure these are great points to bring up, having said that WADA/ USADA just raised the bar to 150 in competition.

From what Iā€™ve read you basically need to smoke a REALLY big fat one the night before or the morning of to go over.

For reference in a lot of US/Canadian workplaces you will get fired for over 20 if you are safety critical.

I think WADA raised the limit in anticipation of a ton of potential positives given new laws and new products in most western countries.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œKnow your farmerā€ or in this case, CBD producer. The comments above are correct about the potential for compound concentrations to be well off; some purported CBD products are being found to leave little CBD at all.

Look for reputable companies that have independent lab testing for verification. Itā€™s like any other supplement in doing homework.
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

For sure these are great points to bring up, having said that WADA/ USADA just raised the bar to 150 in competition.

From what Iā€™ve read you basically need to smoke a REALLY big fat one the night before or the morning of to go over.

For reference in a lot of US/Canadian workplaces you will get fired for over 20 if you are safety critical.

I think WADA raised the limit in anticipation of a ton of potential positives given new laws and new products in most western countries.

Maurice

150 nanograms/ml (10^-9) according to the USADA article is the threshold. That seems very very small.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 4, 19 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its really not. Like the other poster said, most employment drug screens are at 50ng, but some of the more discerning companies choose to go as low as 20ng for THC. If you aren't a chronic smoker (pun), most healthy people would be under the 50ng threshold in less than 3 days. From personal experience just because there should be no shame in this, I bought strips and tested under 50ng, 1.5 days after eating 25mg of THC with it already built up in my system from light usage the week prior.

Like he said earlier, you would probably literally have to smoke a blount (or eat an a sizeable edible) the day before.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25mgedible? They'd have to send a rocket to rescue my brain from Pluto. 10mg does me more than fine. I bow down to your tolerance level...
Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, yeah I usually do the 12-15. I get them in 100mg like cookie shaped gummies and then cut them up. I had a particularly good time at the concert I went to that night :))

Quote Reply
Re: CBD and racing [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
150 nanograms/ml (10^-9) according to the USADA article is the threshold. That seems very very small.

Itā€™s actually incredibly huge in the drug testing environment. I deal with testing in the employment context almost daily and I can guaranty you that 99.9% of the positive drug tests I've dealt with over the years would have been negative at the 150 threshold but alas we (as required by DOT regulations) test at 50 and have lots of positives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It affects my heart rate as well. I take CBD isolate at night, approx 25mg. It feels like I have to work really hard to get to a racing HR, but once there I can maintain like normal. I train by HR and power and am very aware where my HR should be for any given power output. Definitely affects me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next