Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all)
Quote | Reply
If I change tires from Michelin Comp (23) to Continental GP 4 season (23). It looks like the diameter of the entire wheel is bigger with the 4 seasons tires (I'd say by about 1 mm).

By how much will my distance be off? Say for 1000m, should it really be 1005, 995, 1010 etc??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if diameter is 1mm longer then one wheel rotation will actually be 3.14mm longer
so instead of say 700mm x 3.14 you will do 701mm x 3.14.
that is 2.198m when it should be 2.201m
you would have less than 300m difference over 220km...don't need to reset your computer...not to mention that depending on how you inflate your tires, the difference could change more ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, that is scarily impressive! How long ago did you leave NASA?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oo, Oo please Sir! Is it something to do with pi?

Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...
Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep...I was able to remember that

circ = 2 x radius x pi

and then used 700mm to approximate the wheel diameter and also remembered that the diameter is 2 x radius...

that would deserve the Nobel prize in maths (if there was such a thing...so I will agree to either the fields medal or the Abel prize)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
& while I have your ear what does that Americanism LOL mean?

Laugh out loud

Lord, O Lord

Hopefully not, Lots of Love!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think it's a bit more than 1 mm diamater.. more like 1.5mm radius =P

it's important for the measuring of my 2000m running course
Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then 2.198m should be 2.207m
2198m should read 2207
2000m should read 2008m

at only 4'/km (15km/h) that's roughly a 2'' difference...it really doesn't matter...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But not England, and the Chinaman might have a little difficulty understanding the rest of the question if your Mandarin or Cantonese is not up to scratch ;-)

Sayanora!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laugh out loud

lol means the same thing around the world.. I could go to china and ask a newborn baby what lol means and he'll tell me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was pissed because I ran 6:39 for a course I thought was 2000m (2 times around our neighborhood). we measured it with the car and it came out to exactly 2000m.

I ran on the sidewalk so later I went with the bike and measured and it was only somewhere between 1950-1970m... thing is on the sidewalk i have signs and people to avoid (and roads to cross), so I guess it's effectivly the same as running 2000m on a clear path.. right? RIGHT?! =P
Last edited by: freestyle: Nov 6, 04 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
signs and stops etc. can make you lose a lot of time..tight turns too...
if you really want to be accurate, go on a track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much is 'a lot of time' =)

And I have a track season planned for 2 weeks from now. I just wanted to know where I stand coming into next week's duathlon (final race before national champs). I should be good to go!
Last edited by: freestyle: Nov 6, 04 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends how many people you have to dodge ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha there weren't that many people, but i had 2 roads to cross (didn't slow down that much but had to go between two parked cars each time), and there were a lot of light posts which I had to 'squeeze' between..

this is all pretty useless speculation but i am squeezing it out for every last second =p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go on a bloody track! :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
then 2.198m should be 2.207m
2198m should read 2207
2000m should read 2008m

at only 4'/km (15km/h) that's roughly a 2'' difference...it really doesn't matter...
Good God.... hey François, boring day in front of the desk is it? :P :P :P

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: By how much will be speedometer be off.... (Franci, SAC and all) [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
working on a grant proposal...with my laptop on slowtwitch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1950m vs 2000m, that ISN'T on the track? with signs and people etc.

Get your hand off it and get back to training duuuuuuude ;-)

Reminds me of a Scott Tinley story from years ago. One spring he decided to do some speed work so headed down to the local track and smacked out some pretty fast laps on and off for several months. He thought he would crush the field based on his results, only to find himself "out the back" on the run. Bugger.

Telling some other pro's, he wondered why he wasn't racing so well, given all his training. When he said where he was training, they all laughed because that was a well know 400 yard (not 440) track!

There is 2 kinds of speed. Speed to beat records and speed to beat your competitors. They aren't necessarily the same thing. Just think of those guys that get a big lead and cruise it in rather than hammering all the way to the tape. There's speed and then there's enough speed

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply