Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Buying nothing for the bike in 2019
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have a similar mindset? Plan is to buy nothing for the bike in 2019, except inner tubes if needed. I have to fix up a couple of things on my mountain bike, i.e. brakes and shifters, which I'll probably do over the Christmas break, then I'm good. I have enough of a tire stockpile to get me through a couple of years.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this some kind of Judeo-Christian denial in the present for future rewards kind of thing?

Not no, but hell no! I had planned on buying a disc road bike in 2018, but didn't get it done. Hopefully I'll get it done in 2019.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I want in the future would be a direct drive trainer but I have a perfectly fine fluid trainer that cost me $100 and going 4 years strong. Another year of advancements and product updates will drive the price of DD Trainers down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am willing to make this pledge as well when it comes to the triathlon bike, can't believe I can actually type that. The gravel bike, however, is gonna get some new shoes and probably some assorted carbon bits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, I have the opposite mind set. Just bought some Empire SLX’s & looking into fitching my PowerTap pedals & going back to speedplay. Also going to invest in a good fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Is this some kind of Judeo-Christian denial in the present for future rewards kind of thing?

Not no, but hell no! I had planned on buying a disc road bike in 2018, but didn't get it done. Hopefully I'll get it done in 2019.

It's more that I look at what I've got and I'm happy with my meagre lot in life. I've got too much crap hanging around as it is.

I may build up an old frame as a dedicated trainer-only bike. I think I have all the necessary parts laying around.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time to buy just passed - Black Friday, etc. Now it's time to train a little bit just to make sure it's not gathering dust. 9-10 months or so. Then we'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

It's more that I look at what I've got and I'm happy with my meagre lot in life. I've got too much crap hanging around as it is.

I may build up an old frame as a dedicated trainer-only bike. I think I have all the necessary parts laying around.

I get it. I'm in the process of downsizing and just filled a 20sqyd dumpster! I have more than I need, but sometimes it's about what I want. My kids are grown and gone. Got them through 4 years of school with no college debt. After almost 2.5 years, I just put the TT bike back together. Now, I just have to drop 30-35 lbs to get back to race weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Anyone else have a similar mindset? Plan is to buy nothing for the bike in 2019, except inner tubes if needed. I have to fix up a couple of things on my mountain bike, i.e. brakes and shifters, which I'll probably do over the Christmas break, then I'm good. I have enough of a tire stockpile to get me through a couple of years.

Had not though about it like that, but then, what I plan for 2019 :

TT bike : a pair of GP5000 and light inner tubes for the aero wheels
Road bike : training wheels will benefit from older tires and inner tubes in stock, and run aero wheel in draft legal race (if I do any)
MTB : need some fix on the shifters

I was initially planning to buy a rear disk wheel, but now plan to move TT + road bikes to disk brakes in 2020 or 2021 (waiting for more mid prices models), so why buy a new rim wheel now ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training has been going well and I was amped to get a light (expensive) carbon gravel bike to race on rather than my sturdy steel Kona. Assembled spreadsheets and worked on where to source all the parts...in the end, just didn't feel right about a huge spend, what was it really getting me anyway?

So instead I'm changing out the current handlebars that I don't like that much and adding a second wheelset to have two tire options ready to go. Spending a few hundred and staying excited about my current bike and fitness is going to be much better for me than spending a few thousand, plus all the time to assemble, build, etc, and risk coming up short of the increased expectations (of the bike or myself).

Oh, and to celebrate/cement my decision I also registered for my first few events. Stoked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Swapping out frames on the TT bike and planning on building up a cross frame as a new road bike with the new conti 5000 tires in 33c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm upgrading 3 bikes from 10 to 11 speed. 2 are done already, I have parts for the third already.
Sending out fork and shock on MTB for 100 hour service.
Probably buy rear or front hydration system for one tri bike. Next year

I normally make one bigger tool purchase a year. This year I bought a DAG and some bleeder kits, next year I'm looking at a Park Tool wheel truing stand.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

Swapping out frames on the TT bike and planning on building up a cross frame as a new road bike with the new conti 5000 tires in 33c.

Lionel got a new hair cut ?
New thread !!
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Sean H wrote:

Post. Of. The. Day!

New thread !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the desire to swap out my base bar on my P2. It’s the old T2 wing. Might go ahead and do that before 2019 and I should be good to go for a year. Just have to resist the urge to buy a carbon road bike. I never do group rides anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Sean H wrote:

New thread !!

Every thread in ST is always about Lionel. Just the way it is.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Buying nothing for the bike in 2019

Anyone else have a similar mindset

God I hope this happens. Upgraded tri bike this year and now changing out cockpit and upgrading to di2. Plus bought a MTB. Spent way too much this year.

I really have nothing I can think of left to purchase for this sport other than a new tri suit in the spring. But I know in a couple months I'll have something eating at me making me spend my money for no good reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Anyone else have a similar mindset?

No. Just. No.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I had planned on buying a disc road bike in 2018, but didn't get it done. Hopefully I'll get it done in 2019.

Me too... check out my Focus Izalco thread. It's on my wish list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that plan for 2018. I needed one last minor thing (new cage/bottle for BTA) and I was done. Plans changed after two crashes. I will never make that plan again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably will end up buying nothing too. Wich is exactly my personnal "man toys" budget, forever...lol.
Since I don't even own a TT/Tri bike, I will do as suggested here in various threads, and work on my TT position on the road bike for the next year.
Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yeah, but only because I dropped about $5K in 2018 on upgrades for two of my four bikes. Hopefully, just maintenance for 2019.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

btw, does it include monthly Zwift subscriptions???
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [ac1210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished my new bike build a couple months ago. Need nothing at this point, so, nope, I'm not planning on any significant Tri based purchases.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying nothing for the bike in 2019 [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am buying all kinds of shit for the bikes . Who am I kidding?
Quote Reply

Prev Next