Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a bike online
Quote | Reply
From what I gather from various threads over the last few months is that it is a bad idea to buy a bike online? Since fit is perhaps the most important factor and most cannot tell if a bike will fit without being on it at a LBS should I avoid buying a bike without ever riding it? I'm just trying to tell if I can buy a used 55cm bike and be fitted to it or will I be told that I wasted my money and need a 53. (I'm 5'10" and 32" inseam) Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike online [darbyglen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm faaaaaar from an expert on bikes, but I bought my tri-bike on Ebay this year honestly guessing on the size. They told me at the bike shop it was a good fit for my legs, but they needed to raise the hanlebars a bit. In my case, this was about $30. I may have been very lucky though. In my case, I'm thrilled with my bike and was able to buy a much better bike than I could from the LBS. I think the general consensus you'll get here is if you can afford it, go to the LBS. From my experience, it worked out well, but I couldn't guarantee it would every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you hoping to gain from buying a bike online? The main reason to do this is to save money if you know the correct size you need and you are comfortable with mechanically evaluating a bike online and putting it together yourself when you get it. If this is your first bike ( you don't mention this but it sounds like it - otherwise I would expect you to know the top tube/seat tube/head tube lengths that would be adequate for you) you should not buy it online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't know EXACTLY what you need, don't buy online. It will cost you more in the long run. That good deal will cost you quite a bit if you get the wrong sized frame. On the other hand, if you know EXACTLY what you want, buying online is not a bad way to go.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought mine online and it fits perfectly. www.yaquiusa.com. Ves will fix you right up!

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was just getting into the sport, and before we had a local Cervelo dealer, I bought a bike online from Kevin at Gear West. After it arrived, I threw it on the rack and drove 4 hours to Shreveport for a fitting with John Cobb. He watched me pedal for a while and came to the conclusion that nothing needed to be changed. Oh well, at least I got to see Shreveport.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sizing is the key. If you can get a proper fit, then the savings (lower price plus no potentially no sales tax) are generally worth it.

I've only bought frames on-line before. I have a good enough relationship and do plenty of business with my LBS that I feel comfortable being up front and getting sized before ordering. They know that I do enough business with them, including having the bike built up, that it's still worth their effort. It doesn't hurt to bring in the occasional six pack.
Quote Reply