Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying Leverage
Quote | Reply
A question.

I'm looking to purchase 4 bikes, pedals, and shoes. My wife and I, and my in-laws are all looking to upgrade our roadbikes (they are laughably old). She and I are looking for a 105 (up to a blend of ultegra) quality bike, and I think the in-laws are good for a 105 and below blend (maybe some in-house brakes, crank, bb and whatnot). We're not picky about brand although Giant seems to have a good components-to-price ratio.
  1. If various LBS' inspire confidence in their ability to fit me to a bike, would it be possible to get them to bid on this purchase of 4 bikes, pedals, and shoes?
  2. Has anyone done this before?
  3. What could I expect in percentage terms for a discount, if any?
  4. How would you suggest I compare "apples to apples"?

Thanks group.

Burns

PS. my current *realistic* dream is a new Orbea Mitis with smoke colored campy Centaur. damn it looks good.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying Leverage [Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most bike shops I've gotten to know can't give you a hell of a lot of a break on the frame/complete bike, but can help you out on accessories (lid, pedals, water bottles, etc). I'm sure that any good LBS would be willing to work with you on a combo purchase like that, but you should understand that the margins are pretty small to begin with - so they don't have a hell of a lot of wiggle room on the bikes themselves. When you spec your complete ride however (pedals, accessories, etc) you should be able to save some.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying Leverage [Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Burns,

This is a fair question. Often times, however, the reality of multiple bike sales- i.e., selling one customer multiple bikes within the wrapper of one transaction- amounts to much more work for the retailer. In that circumstance, it may be inappropriate to negotiate a better price.

Now, the retailer will ask themselves the question, "What's in it for me?" or, "Why should I lower my prices for this customer?" You need to give him a compelling reason, and buying four bikes at once is not compelling. He will make those four sales anyway, over a longer duration with less concentrated work.

However, if you can offer him something like; "I'll pay for these four bikes now, pick them up all at once and load them myself and I don;t need any service after the sale- this is a one time deal and it will be quick and efficient and I will be out of your way so you can get on to taking care of other customers." Then his response shoud be, "Excellent Sir, we have a deal, I will kindly offer you XX% off your purchase of four bikes, paid in full now, and delivered all at once on this date...."

I think it is a matter of building something in it for the dealer. Remember- he will sell the four bikes anyway. You need to convince him it is in his best interset to sell them all to you at a discount. What do you offer him?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply