Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building a dream bike (x2)
Quote | Reply
So I'm going to have to replace my Speed Concept 9 in the near future (next 7-8 months). My previous bike was an all blacked out Speed Concept with ENVE 8.9 clinchers and full DA Di2. When it was totaled it was only 9 weeks old (still sad). Now I have to figure out what to replace it with. I'll also be picking up a new road bike for local rides and group rides with my buddies. I'll still be using my Allez Smartweld for commuting and any days where rain may pop up. My intent is to have ENVE 8.9's on the TT and 6.7's on the Road so I can swap the front to the TT bike for really windy days, but the 8.9's never really bothered me.

TT Build (DA Di2 build):
Same Speed Concept (I'd probably upgrade to the vapor coat on that bike to bring the weight down a little as my XL was 20lbs flat)
Scott Plasma 5
Felt IA FRD

Road Build:
Felt AR FRD (SRAM Red 22, built up from Frameset w/ ENVE Stem and SES road bars)
Felt AR2 (Ultegra Di2)
Cervelo S5
Maybe an Emonda SLR

Any other suggestions on road bikes? Is it worth having "matching" road and TT bikes (ie same brand)?
Quote Reply
Re: Building a dream bike (x2) [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're really pissing me off right now. /pink /kindof
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would be remiss if you do not consider a dimond.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a dream bike (x2) [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you had a chance to try these bikes out to be sure you're geometry is good and that you're comfortable....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First world 1% problems... but good for you, I'm not a hater I just post a lot.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you knew the whole story you wouldn't be so jealous. Let's just say 7 months after my SC was totaled, I'm up to about 12 miles a week running and 1 ride a week. I'd be happy to have that 7-8 months of training, not gaining a ton of weight and my SC back over the new bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a dream bike (x2) [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimster wrote:
Have you had a chance to try these bikes out to be sure you're geometry is good and that you're comfortable....

I've ridden the SC obviously and love it. The Felt was my initial choice but couldn't get it before Whistler last year. Now I have time and the Scott was also announced since then. I have ridden the Felt or the Plasma, but have seen both in person.

In terms of the road bikes, I haven't ridden any of them. Most of the shops in my town do not stock the S5 or AR (especially the FRD). I might go ride the SLR soon but I would prefer the aero frame since I already have the Allez for a rain/commute bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The AR FRD is di2 only so Red22 wouldn't be an option. You'd need a non FRD AR frame unless you went di2.
Last edited by: HighTechAthlete: May 16, 15 20:32
Quote Reply
Re: Building a dream bike (x2) [HighTechAthlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HighTechAthlete wrote:
The AR FRD is di2 only so Red22 wouldn't be an option. You'd need a non FRD AR frame unless you went di2.

Good to know. I guess I'd have to build it Ultegra Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or you can get an AR1 frameset and build that up with SRAM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If my Speed Concept jumped off a cliff, I would get an NP2 or Dimond depending on my budget.

Not gonna get a lot of love from aero geeks, but the Emoda can fit 30mm tires which makes it super versirile. If you aren't racing road, aero road bike is less appealing. Pick what you think looks good and fits big enough tires.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to hear it. Anything you can share with the group?

My only contribution: one of our shop owners rides the AR and absolutely loves it :-)

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: Building a dream bike (x2) [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing I can share yet... Once everything is wrapped up I'll plan a full write up of the experience. At the bare minimum I will have a new SC. I've heard very good things about the AR. Everyone I know who has one loves it. I wish one of them road a 58, but they are all 54 and 56 guys. I could probably jump on a 56 just to get a feel. With the AR I have to decide if the FRD is worth it because I'd be building it up as a frame set since I'm sticking to ENVEs (ie don't want to have to sell the Zipps, or pay 13k for a bike).
Last edited by: PeteDin206: May 17, 15 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Building a dream bike (x2) [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
If my Speed Concept jumped off a cliff, I would get an NP2 or Dimond depending on my budget.

Not gonna get a lot of love from aero geeks, but the Emoda can fit 30mm tires which makes it super versirile. If you aren't racing road, aero road bike is less appealing. Pick what you think looks good and fits big enough tires.

If I were designing a TT bike, I would try to accommodate a 28mm rear on a purpose-built disc.
Quote Reply