Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brownlees in Kona in 2021
Quote | Reply
Just read this on 220 website.
http://www.220triathlon.com/training/athlete-profiles/whats-next-for-the-brownlees/12749.html

Thought there were some interesting nuggets in there:

Simon Lessing:
Lessing’s battles with Smith took triathlon to new levels in the 90s, with their intense rivalry captivating audiences in some of UK triathlon’s earliest televised clashes. Their classic encounters would stand in stark contrast to Lessing’s long-distance career. “The truth is that I found Ironman quite boring,” admits the 47-year-old. “Hours and hours of slower workouts not at the intensity of ITU racing, and rare one-to-one combat with fellow athletes. There’s excitement and adrenaline in those battles, whereas the Ironman track is a lonely path. You’re racing yourself as much as you’re racing everybody else. It’s a very different mindset.”

When polled on Brownlee’s choices, over 60% of 220’s readers would prefer to see Brownlee go down the Ironman route in 2019. Speak to Simon Lessing, however, and he celebrates the appeal of a final shot at the Olympics. “Once you’ve been to the Olympics and, in Alistair’s case won there twice, you’re never going to top that. The Olympic Games is the biggest sporting event in the world. There isn’t a direct comparison to anything else in our sport in terms of the recognition and pressure. People will shoot me down for this, but Kona doesn’t come close. But Alistair needs to be true to himself and doesn’t need to prove himself to anybody.”

Spencer Smith:

Alistair wasn’t the only multiple British ITU world champ watching Kona from afar. “While I was disappointed with Gomez’s first attempt in Hawaii, I believe Alistair has more natural talent and endurance than his counterpart,” says Smith. “The one thing that I do question is Ali’s ability to perform in the unforgiving heat and humidity over eight hours in Kona. Can he win many Ironman races? Yes, of course. But there’ll be only one Ironman he wants to win if he goes this route. So this will be continued in Hawaii.”

On Ali preparing for heat:

Heat acclimitisation work and fuelling in higher temperatures has already begun with his nutrition partners OTE, at their Performance Centre in Leeds in prep for Tokyo or Hawaii.

On Ali's style of training/racing/career management:

“There’s definitely a degree of wear and tear,” reflects Alistair. “I remember saying in interviews a decade ago that I’d prefer to be the best I could ever be and train as hard as I can, even if it shortens my career. When you say that as a rather confident 20-year-old, you never think it’ll actually shorten your career, but I now have some perspective on that!”

Article's conclusion on Ali:

So if he opts for Ironman over the Olympics and the injuries stay away, we could be looking at a Brownlee, Frodeno, Gomez, Lange and McNamee showdown at Kona in 2019. And come 2021, they could be joined by another Yorkshireman…

Jonny:

While Alistair faces his career quandary, Jonny’s career path seems more clearly defined. “I’ve been to the same races for many years now with the WTS. I still enjoy it and it’s still hugely competitive. My goal is to go to Tokyo and get an Olympic medal. And I have to do the ITU racing to achieve that. But after 2020 I’ll definitely be ready for a change to the longer stuff.” Our spectator spot on the Ali’i Drive finish line in 2021 is already reserved.

Quote Reply
Re: Brownlees in Kona in 2021 [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona 2021 is almost 3 years, an eternity in terms of triathlon at the elite level.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jan 13, 19 19:33
Quote Reply