Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon?
Quote | Reply
After a week of saying "no honey, i got through the worst of this cough, it's getting better", my hacking cough didn't get better. The doc at the urgent care clinic tells me I have acute bronchitis bordering on walking pneumonia. Awesome. After loading me up with meds and an inhaler, to just hammer home the cliche that I am, I immediately tell her that I have a 1/2 marathon coming up that is part of the training plan. You DON'T divert from the training plan. For some reason, that fell on deaf ears. But I digress...

It's now been 10 days since my last workout and about 5 since starting meds and, as of today, I am still coughing to the point where swimming would make me nervous but surely I can hit a stationary bike, right? The doc said to wait until I can take a deep breath without coughing. That is true about 50% of the time.

It's obviously easy to say that no coughing equals better but there is a gray area. For those that have had this, at what point did you start getting back into the swing of things? And did you start with one discipline before the other?
Quote Reply
Re: Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon? [trytri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trytri3 wrote:
The doc said to wait until I can take a deep breath without coughing. That is true about 50% of the time.

Following. I'm up to about 80% of the time 2.5 weeks later. Been riding for the past week.
Quote Reply
Re: Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon? [trytri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post. Thanks for starting. Bronchitis here, too. No meds. Started Fri. Cough, sinus pressure, congestion, fever x1 day, fatigue. 3 days on the couch, missed work Monday. Flu test neg, lungs sound clear. Just a cough and a little bit of fatigue at this point. Itching to hop on the trainer, prob tonight. I’m prob 80% on the deep breathing, too. Interested in what other people will say they use as a rule of thumb. Coughs can linger for weeks. I can’t 🤪
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm a little bit of an expert in this (patient, not doctor!) as I have a long term lung problem and for about 3 years now have been getting severe bronchitis (once pneumonia) about every 6-8 months.

In my experience I would be wiped out for up to two weeks (shuffling around, no energy etc.)

After I feel 'better' it would probably be another 5 days before I could do a light workout without feeling knackered.
Probably 4 weeks before I could do a weeks training.
6 weeks minimum and nearer 8 to when I was back to pre illness fitness.

Sorry, I know that doesn't sound great. If you rush it you won't get better though.
Any questions, just ask!
Quote Reply
Re: Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, also, since it's been available I've found HRV very very useful in monitoring recovery from illness as to when I should train again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously thanks for starting this. I got sick with possibly the flu about 7 weeks ago then had a cough that would not stop. Chest x-ray came back negative 2 weeks ago but the urgent care doctor only gave me prednisone and the cough continue to get worse. So finally after 7 weeks of coughing I'm diagnosed with walking pneumonia antibiotic and an Albuterol inhaler. The doc gave me roughly the same instructions he gave you and the antibiotic even though I'm only two days in has drastically reduced the cough but the wheezing when I exhale is still causing me to cough and I'm wondering how long it will take for that to calm down.
Quote Reply
Re: Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess all the news about the flu this year is accurate. Similar story for me. Sick with what I think was the flu a month ago, felt better, started training again (probably too hard), then got hit with the nasty cough and head crap. Going easy on the bike for now ... all these stories make me nervous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure what "bronchitis bordering on walking pneumonia" means as bronchitis is inflammation/infection of airway and pneumonia is infection of lung tissue but I digress ;) it is not uncommon for peeps to have a cough that lingers for weeks up to several months. Couple of things come to mind. Of course I'm speaking to the general forum here as it seems like many are going through the same thing and as always speak to your care provider.
1. Most people have extremely inflamed airways post bronchitis/pneumonia so any irritation will create terrible coughing fits. These peeps tend to have a very dry nonproductive cough. Anti-inflammatory such as inhaled corticosteroids (ICS) for a few weeks tend to do the trick.
2. Peeps also tend to confuse the etiology of their cough. Very often it is from all the mucus that is draining from the nasal passages/sinuses. This type of cough tends to be worse first thing in am when you get up cuz all the crap that drains out your sinuses sits in the back of your throat so when you sit up it drops down into your lungs. Combo of ICS and decongestant eg benadryl, loratadine seems to help.

These are common non-infectious types of cough that care seem post URI which predominantly are viral but so many of you think you need antibiotics which further perpetuates the cycle of resistance, etc besides annoying the crap out of the providers. Rant over :)

Sleep lots, drink lots of fluid, and wait. Your body will tell you when it's time.
Hope this helps and fell better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming it is truly bronchitis, you should be able to exercise "as tolerated" as my doctor told me when I had it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon? [greenterry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through this just recently and I had a really bad cough for some 3 weeks (yea I know, im an idiot). At the end of 3 weeks I finally went to the doctor where I found out I had Bronchitis. I never stopped training the entire time before and after seeing the doctor and just "managed" through it. They gave me some drugs and all was fine 2 weeks later and I was told I could continue with my training as best I could manage.

I guess the moral was do what you can and don't overdo it or get frustrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bronchitis and returning to training. When is too soon? [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is a doctor and she says medication for bronchitis is useless. The only eventual benefit is to get better sleep if you have a hard time at night. Regarding training it should be avoided in the first days (fever..) because you don't want to spread the infection. After that if you feel good go for it, just don't expect any speed because O² is hard to assimilate.
Quote Reply