Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breathing and Cadence In Running
Quote | Reply
Do any of you use breathing to measure how fast you are going within the miles themselves, you are running?

Unless you are out on a track, or running on paths with marked distances and measured landmarks, how in the world, do you know how fast you are going within the mile itself; obvisouly you are going to exactly know the time of the mile you just ran, when next mile marker ends.

Let's say you want to run 7:15 per mile for the first 10 miles. You are only going to know the result of how you are going in that mile, after each mile, unless you have the path market out and measured, or are strapped down with a GPS watch. But let's say you don't know. You are on mile 6, and, ahhh, ohhh, you just ran an 8:10, for that mile. Now you have to hurry up.

It seems to me there would be a value of knowing your pace, accurately, within each mile you are running.

Of course, for many of you, you will say, "I use a heart rate monitor," or "I use GPS, for that." But, for people who use heart rate monitors for this, I don't see how that helps, unless you have some solid data on how your BPMs work for you at different temperatures. For me, if it's 95 degrees outside, I'm going to get a different reading than I would if it were 62 degrees. To keep a 7 minute mile at 75 degrees, my BPMs might be 162, when its 95, it might be 182? Who knows?

Do some of you count your strides per breath? Does that work. Like, if I take five strides per breath, I'm running a 7 minute mile approximately. 4 strides, 8-9 minutes, 2 strides per breath, 12 minutes, and so on.
Quote Reply
Re: Breathing and Cadence In Running [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is when percieved effort is important. You judge how hard you are working...

Besides, if you are that interested in mile splits just premeasure the course and make mile landmarks

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of any trick like that to gauge current pace other than experience. This is where gps can come in handy for less experienced runners, so that you can "learn" what it feels like to run at x pace at y state of fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid and ran a lot, this was never a problem. I always knew how fast I was running. I am getting better, but I don't have a decent feel anymore. Speed was always accurately tracked by perceived exertion. In HS, I ran a 5:17 mile about six times. I never did a 5:16. Go figure.

You are certainly right about heat. HR continues to increase over time when it is hot.

As you run more, you will track your pace more accurately over time. If that doesn't work for you, get a GPS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years of running is the answer. At a weekly coached track workout we run different distances and paces and the runners who have been at it a while can hit the required pace within a couple of seconds. Our coach can also calculate our target splits while he's running which I find even more impressive. Perceived effort and it's relation to pace take a while to develop and then re-develop in triathlon running. I don't count my breaths but I can guess my heart-rate to within 3 beats and pace to within 10 seconds by noticing how hard I'm breathing.
Quote Reply