Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder 70.3 swim waves
Quote | Reply
Athlete guide says it is self seeding swim waves. I have no experience with that. Can someone explain how that works? How many waves do you think? Split times? How do they prevent a 55 min swimmer swimming with the 30 min swimmers? Do they limit the numbers in each wave?
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 swim waves [dhafling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No opinions given (this is a touchy subject with many here): You put yourself in the group you think you belong, i.e. there is a group for 33-35 minute swim, you feel like you'll swim 34, you put yourself there. If you think 35, put yourself near the back of that group. There is no control over who swims where so there will still be slower swimmers in the front and faster swimmers in the back. This has nothing to do with bike or run times, it is only swim times you seed yourself by.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no policing it, but they generally work well for IMs. I've never seen it done for a HIM. There are no waves per se, it's generally one long line/corral with signs telling you where to be based on what you think you'll swim, e.g. there'll be a 0:25-0:30 sign, a 0:30-:35 sign, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was AG seeding last year. It changed??

Victoria HIM was self seeded. Basically you line up next to the sign closest to the time you think you can swim the distance. There is nothing to prevent the slowest person from getting in front of the line except for fear of getting trampled. There is nothing to be gained since it will be a personalized chip time so you don't get "more" time on the swim by seeding yourself in the front. The best thing for everyone is to place yourself correctly, not get swam over, and draft with those who swim the same pace as you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 Coeur D'Alene was a 'self-seeded' rolling start this year. I thought it worked very well. There's nobody policing where people seed themselves (how would this even be possible?) but I can't imagine what one would stand to gain by putting themselves in the wrong group unless you like getting swum over or swimming though packs of swimmers slower than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's wise to know the faster guys & gals will go early, it likely will be hot (historically). Keep in mind this is a safety thing also, that you won't want to wait until the last possible moment if temps climb high. Additionally, if it is cool at night with expected heat up in the later morning, the winds will kick up, so you will not want to add that time loss there. Not everyone can start early, but be wise on what will work for you. Last thing you want to do is start super early & get trampled by swimmers going fast enough to greatly impede their progress & you--having to avoid damaging kicks & punches by having been swum over.
Quote Reply