Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage?
Quote | Reply
So we all know that the bottle down the front of your trisuit is effective at reducing drag; however, does one get a similar drag reduction from raising the BTA bottle? I'm debating using the double BTA bottle setup (one forwards and one backwards), but could I get a similar drag reduction from raising the bottle up closer to my chest?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this is what Ku sets out to achieve. There are a few pictures of the configuration in the ERO 'bottle down the top' thread.

edit: as pictured here. Note that big pedestal behind the bottle, which is part of the bike system.

Last edited by: davetallo: Aug 16, 23 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not do all of the above?

I've created basically the same setup on the Ku I've been riding recently and it does fill that space even better considering the higher top tube and bento underneath my rear facing bottle. Haven't aero tested any of these configurations (other than racing) but I have to assume it works pretty well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

If the rumours in the USAT thread are correct, and there's going to be a rule chance in effect next year, I think we can all agree that this is exactly where everyone will gravitate to.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I believe this is what Ku sets out to achieve. There are a few pictures of the configuration in the ERO 'bottle down the top' thread.

edit: as pictured here. Note that big pedestal behind the bottle, which is part of the bike system.

what is that thing under the chest? i can't find anything about it on the ku website, its not even shown in any picture.
does it function as a bento box (so close to the chest you can't actually get into it)? if not it surely has to be an illegal fairing - it is not part of the bike system as such, rather an add-on so must have a functional purpose aside from aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't want to ride with a bottle in my suit. But you definitely close that space up really well (if that's what's giving the drag reduction).

ETA: What's your rear-facing bottle sitting on? That wedge piece. Is that specific to TriRig? That's exactly what I've been looking for to use on my SC.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Aug 16, 23 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
what is that thing under the chest? i can't find anything about it on the ku website, its not even shown in any picture.
does it function as a bento box (so close to the chest you can't actually get into it)? if not it surely has to be an illegal fairing - it is not part of the bike system as such, rather an add-on so must have a functional purpose aside from aero.

Looks a little dangerous to me. I wouldn't want to ride with something that close to my chest.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I just don't want to ride with a bottle in my suit. But you definitely close that space up really well (if that's what's giving the drag reduction).

ETA: What's your rear-facing bottle sitting on? That wedge piece. Is that specific to TriRig? That's exactly what I've been looking for to use on my SC.
So the big wedged piece was a protoype from tririg, but I also have some of these from Profile Design around that work just as well. That plus an extender plate is pretty much all you need for a solid double BTA (as long as you have a solid platform to mount to to begin with).

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle in kit vs. raising the BTA bottle? Similar advantage? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben, do you have a closeup shot of your setup?

I have the Trig Alpha as well and was running a Wolf tooth extender bracket that I had bent slightly to make my bottle cage sit a bit flatter and further back, but that's finally cracked and broken all the way through and don't really want to replicate that again.

Looks like those wedges could help level out the extender bracket, though.
Quote Reply