Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn?
Quote | Reply
Letsrun thread:http://www.letsrun.com/...d.php?thread=8769974

My opinion:

I would have gone with a merino wool top and tights (not polyester tights) that covered my knee by left my calves exposed, thin neoprene gloves (like Castelli makes for cycling), and most importantly, a cycling vest - the type that is basically a perforated space blanket: light, blocks win and keeps heat in despite being wet. https://www.bikerumor.com/...et-radiation-jacket/

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried the space blanket thing, but I'd have worn my Castelli Tempesta Race Jacket. This thing is amazing -- it's like baby angels are protecting you from water and wind, but yet it's shockingly breathable. I'd have gone with Merino knickers on the bottom
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old Mizuno BreathThermo top and their lightweight run jacket.

Either CW-X tights or my sprinter's shorts to hopefully deal with chafing a little bit. Pearl Izumi lobster claws with hand warmers in them.

Swiftwick Aspire socks, probably my Saucony Freedoms, and my silly, always backwards, trucker hat.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something between a wetsuit and a parka

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran yesterday and it was the most miserable race I have ever run in my life. I was under the assumption that my body would warm up so I wore my usual race stuff, singlet and shorts, and I wore arm warmers and two pairs of gloves (thinking I would shed one pair on the course) and a regular hat with a knit winter cap over thinking I would shed it too at some point. I was so freaking cold the entire time. I was shivering throughout the entire race. I thought I would warm up a bit once I got to the hills, but no dice. My body was even colder from 13 to the finish. Truthfully, I don't know what would have been ideal. Yeah a jacket would have been nice to keep my warm, but the 30mph headwind would have been ever worse with more layers. I can also see a nice tight fitting vest to keep the core warm. I don't think there was a good choice due to the cold, rain, and wind. There could be positives and negatives with every choice. All I know is I hated every single moment of that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jacket-wise I would have worn the Salming Abisko jacket. I've used that in epic freezing rain storms for runs, and kept my upper body bone dry (and it breathes well too). Shoe wise, I would have put a lot of body glide on my feet inside the socks and made sure to wear something that drains well. I would have worn shorts and probably compression socks (or regular socks and compression sleeves for a bit of warmth) but I tend to run hot, so I tend to err on the underdressed end of the spectrum... Glove wise, it would be something that kept my hands as dry as possible (I have a pair of 10 year old MS Tina Windtex cycling gloves that are honestly the best at that of any glove I have found).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything but the parachute that all of the Kenyans were wearing. What a bad look for Nike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I basically wore this. Had calf sleeves but they fell down.
Also had a light beanie with a hat over to stop rain hitting my eyes.

I froze the whole way. Coming from Australia and training in 30 deg (Celsius) heat didn't help though.

One thing I thought I would never see. People running the whole way in ponchos.

Something I never considered I would ever see apart from someone dressing up....people running in a shower cap. That was genius really as their beanie stayed dry and kept all the warmth in their heads.
Last edited by: Brett runs: Apr 17, 18 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore: normal singlet and shorts, run gloves, Fusion arm warmers, calf sleeves, visor, headband to secure visor, normal socks, racing flats.

I generated enough heat to be able to handle it pretty well. What was truly awful was the finish area post race.

I too was shocked by the choices some people made, including doing the whole race in a poncho.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran in similar weather, CIM a few years back: (@ start, throw away sweats and space blanket) ri kit, arm warmers, visor, glasses, zoot shoes with no socks. Got thru fine. Finish is when the cold hit hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lightweight jacket, cheap long sleeve tech shirt that I would toss if I warmed up, singlet, arm warmers, waterproof gloves, tri shorts that came close to the knee, compression socks, regular socks, stocking cap, maybe a buff like Rapp was wearing over the face early. My biggest question probably would have been whether to cover the knees. The two Bostons I did were reward races for qualifying, not PR or re-qualifying attempts, so I would have been more likely to overdress than underdress. I live in Ohio and rarely train inside so I have plenty of experience trying to stay warm. Congrats to all who finished yesterday!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 17, 18 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I had a buddy run in an American flag head wrap, suspenders, mittens and a speedo.

I've yet to hear his recap, but I imagine it will include "cold".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran yesterday and some people may not like hearing this, but I expected it to be a lil worse given the day before and how the winds were forecasted. That being said, it was cold!

I was in the start corral with goodwill sweats and sweatshirt with a poncho on 1 minute before the gun. It was chilly but not miserable. No gloves but once I got going didn't feel it was an issue. Kept the sweatshirt on for the first two miles then threw it off the course. One thing I should've done was have plastic to cover my shoes as my feet were frozen in athletes village and the first 1.5 miles.

During the race my clothing was perfect for how I felt...shorts, singlet, and arm warmers.

*San Francisco native who likes to run minimally then let the run warm myself up*
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exact exact same experience for me ystrday.
had a hat on, "waterproof" jacket the whole race - not once showed my bib -. chills came in mile 8 and it got worse and worse and worse.
was so envious seeing my neighbors grabbing fluids or slapping hands or talking. death march to the end. so many long looks at medical tents. unable to run straight line for last 5 miles. direct stop medical tent and stayed there for 40 min under heat fan to stop the shivering. 2:56 in december, 3:36 ysterday. says it all : )
again, immense respect for those who actually enjoyed the race.

btw, saw very skinny shirtless guy pass me early on. mile 9, i pass him back: only his legs were moving. no way he finished. coocoo : )

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What strikes me is apparently how few people seemed to learn anything from the Breaking 2 project. You would have thought that would have been a primer on aerodynamics for people who otherwise might not be exposed to the topic.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Haha, I had a buddy run in an American flag head wrap, suspenders, mittens and a speedo.

I've yet to hear his recap, but I imagine it will include "cold".

It might also include the word shrinkage...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I followed the advice of the BAA. I guess the elites didn't read it. I wore a tight under layer, UA metal. They don't seem to sell it anymore, but it's tight and wicking. I bet craft or someone else makes a nice one too. Then a tech tee over and then a windbreaker that I got at the BAA expo a few years ago. Hat, glasses, convertible gloves, ear band for the first 5 miles. I'd get soaked through with a wind and rain gust, feel my base layer drain out , then repeat.

it was epic. A day to back door brag about for a lifetime. As in "oh it was hard out there today? well you should have run in Boston in 18. That was really wicked hard."

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with tights, a thin l/s Nike Pro shirt under a running jacket made for the rain. Wore a hat under the hood of the jacket. Regular running gloves with handwarmers inside. This actually worked well for me - really happy with the decision to use handwarmers (I get cold). I probably could have used knickers instead of the tights - but that's the only change I would have done. Like Poon said, the wait for dry gear after the race was, by far, the worst. Athlete's village before the race was ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I haven't tried the space blanket thing, but I'd have worn my Castelli Tempesta Race Jacket. This thing is amazing -- it's like baby angels are protecting you from water and wind, but yet it's shockingly breathable. I'd have gone with Merino knickers on the bottom

Do you have any experience as to how it compares to any similar Assos products?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Anything but the parachute that all of the Kenyans were wearing. What a bad look for Nike.

Exactly! Kirui looked like he was trying to take his off a few times but couldn't get the zipper to work.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the one hand, I had a friend in singlet and shorts and baseball cap run a 17 minute PR. And while I was working a water stop at 30k all day, I saw 3 different shirtless guys go by. They made it that far at least.

On the other hand, I could never have survived with just that. I would have worn

• a compression, T-shirt (probably short sleeve, maybe long sleeve...) underneath a singlet.
  • arm warmers.
  • shorts
  • waterproof mittens over Castelli Neoprene mittens
  • thin socks.
  • skull cap

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one friend, name rhymes with Snabe Smodgers, thinking that the clothing decision would have been simple. It really wasn't.

I'd say that a big part the elites faced that others didn't face was such low body fat %'s and also the effort at which they race at may affect the amount of heat their body puts off later in the race. I know that even at a slower pace, the last third of a long run I get cold whereas I was overheating earlier in the run - knowing to stay bundled up through the initial overheating so ward off later hypothermia has helped me. But, I look at people like Sage Canaday who dropped out. He wrote that he has trouble in the cold, but if an ultra runner had to drop out, that to me really says something.

My favorite interview was the 3rd place 41 year old mother of three Canadian woman (2:25 pr) who just wasn't too fazed by the weather, but also couldn't believe she had gotten third.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wool or light fleece longsleeve shirt
Gore-Tex running jacket, specifically an old Asics jacket that is fully vented. it's kept me warm running in wet snow and rain around freezing temps. The windblock factor of the Gore-Tex is also excellent.
Pearl Izumi Amfib tights. Similarly have run and x-c skiied in some marginal conditions, stayed warm.
baseball cap to keep rain off glasses at least somewhat (cf Kawauchi's cap).

most importantly shelter behind the biggest guy I can find, at every point, to escape the headwinds..
used to run the Cape Peninsula marathon, Cape Town city center to Simons Town. When the southeaster blew it was a perfectly miserable headwind.. we'd form echelons along the road for shelter..

ran hill repeats yesterday in 30-40mph winds, brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Clothing Choice: What Would You Have Worn? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And while I was working a water stop at 30k all day . . ."

Thanks JoeO!!! As miserable as the conditions were during the race, I was glad I was moving and generating heat and not a stationary volunteer out there. Thanks so much to you and the folks who braved the elements to volunteer and/or cheer on the marathoners.

After ditching the clothes I wore in Hopkinton, I had shorts, tech t-shirt, fleece hat and wool socks on my hands. Other than a few patches when the wind or rain would kick, I was fine during the race but really suffered after the finish line getting my gear bag. An "epic" day out there for sure and worth the suffering for the stories generated. My slowest of 3 Boston marathons, but am coming to terms with my performance in light of the professional results.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably what I've been wearing all the wretched Ontario winter, the worst in years:
  • Helly Hansen long sleeve base layer
  • Saucony long sleeve intermediate layer
  • Some sort of top layer; I have been using a Saucony one recently
  • Sugoi cycling rain jacket
  • Beanie
  • Cycling gloves, probably with hand warmers (Raynaud's)
  • Icebreaker Merino hiking socks

As for below the waist: that's the big question. It's my experience that as long as the rest of my body is warm, I prefer shorts down to about -8*C (18*F) with windchill. I understand the windchill hovered around that, so probably standard fleece tights just to be safe. I've never ran in knickers, but that would probably be a good option.

Those 3 layers up top may seem like overkill, but I like it that way. I ran in similar, but fouler weather here on Saturday and while it was annoying as all hell, and I can't imagine having that headwind for 3-4 hours, I was totally OK, not cold on the easy bits and not hot during the HM pace intervals.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next