Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boring question...
Quote | Reply
Alrighty... not as much fun or sexy as bike stuff, watches/computers/power meters, hell even the Womens seem to have lively discussions on cute race outfits, so here I go.

Goggles. Yep, those.

I've had the same pair for four years now and I think they are on their way out. They were decent for pool and great for open water and they are not made anymore. I figure when you leave the pool looking like you went 10 rounds w/ Marriweather (looks like I have two black eyes!) from having them on so tight to TRY to prevent leaks and failing, it's time to let go and move on.

Coming from a lil bit of a swimming background, I can't bring myself to get the aqua sphere mask-y thingies. i've kinda got a wide face, so there needs to be some adjustability in the nose piece.

So now that's all out of the way, what goggles do you swear by!?!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo Vanquisher Swim Goggle

They come with a set of different size nose bidges, so you can get a perfect fit. Very comfy, great water seal, and very good sunlight reflection without being dark to see through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using TYR Racetechs for a few years now. Really like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blue Seventy Vision for me.

I'd recommend buying a few different models from different manufacturers and seeing what you like. You always need a back up pair of goggles anyhow, so they won't go to waste.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call/google around I am sure somebody has your goggles in stock.

Goggles that work for other people rarely work for me.

Personally I use Tyr Technoflex 2.0 or Tyr Technoflex Metallic and they last 6 months in the pool or a dozen races.

Higher price does not make a better goggle. Just plan on buying 5 pairs to find one good one and then make sure you have backups.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swedes or the Tyr version of them, Socket Rockets...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not boring!

My favorite are Aquasphere Kaimans. They're comfortable, good field of view and stay on well. They also seem oddly fog resistant.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Swedes or the Tyr version of them, Socket Rockets...

Hardcore, dood... hard-core!!

I think if I tried wearing Swedes, they'd suck my eyeballs out.

Goggle shopping this weekend. Woo! Ugh.

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second that - Swedes or socket rockets

http://www.tyr.com/...rocketstm-p-180.html

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [Muh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I third the Swedes or Scoket Rockets.

The best goggles I've ever used.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the Aquasphere Kaimans; comfortable, not prone to leaking and an expanded field of view. Pricey, though, when compared to the default Speedo goggles I used to use ($12 compared to $19-24).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Speedo Vanquishers. I use the Women's Vanquisher, my daughter uses the Vanquisher Jr., and my son uses the regular Vanquishers. They're comfortable, have multiple nosepieces, and wear like iron. They fit multiple face types, and also look good (for goggles, at least).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Tusa View Liberators with prescription lenses, they're my favorite goggle in 40 years of swimming.. current pair is 5+ years old and still fit perfectly, dry and comfortable.
At goggle replacement time, I always used to have to run through 3-4 pairs to find one that worked, now I just keep buying these. Just hope they don't change the design on me..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swedish, definitely. I went to a great swim shop (Austin has, in addition to several fantastic bike and running shoe shops, a great swim shop) and tried on about 20 pairs of goggles until finding that the swedish goggles were perfect. I need to go pick up another couple pairs. They really are SO comfortable.

---
justin

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the vanquishers. Mine don't fog and have great vision. I also have the reflective ones, so I can look badass! They aren't aero, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TYR Racetechs

ditto

Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto.
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!!

You's guys are the bestest!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AquaSphere XP...smaller than the mask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedos. I've never found another brand that fits my eye socket shape better. Most come with two or three nose pieces to adjust as well.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you just drop a misused apostrophe on us? Its one thing to use an apostrophe in such a precarious manner, but its another to post such nonsense on a public forum like ST. I'm cringing at this whole mess - what do you think the others are doing? I'm guessing their shaking they're heads in disbelief.
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo vanquishers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Barracuda goggles and by the way, that wasn't a boring question. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Boring question... [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Blue Seventy! I don't use it in the pool though, because I think they aren't to be subjected to chlorine -- NOT that it matters really... I think the vision clarity through these are s-u-p-e-r-b!

Is everyone just trying to show how HTFU they are with claims that Swedes are comfortable or what? From all acounts I have heard, you practically risk losing an eye if they slip out of your hand while putting them on your face. Something that tight doesn't sound very comfortable to me. Am I missing something?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my Zoggs Predators.
Quote Reply

Prev Next