Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bontrager PowerTap wheelset
Quote | Reply
Anyone got a Bontrager PowerTap Pro Race Light wheelset? I am considering that this is the way to go for my road bike, I have a s725/powermeter on the TT bike (only option for power) and want power on the road bike as well, and I feel better about a Trek/Bontrager label on the wheels (service).

Since I ride the trainer A LOT the Polar probabaly wont work for me on the road bike.
Last edited by: Gary Tingley: Jul 19, 04 21:55
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager PowerTap wheelset [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about it, but for that much money you're almost to the srm level. At least with the srm you can use it with whatever wheels you want, so you can still use a rear disc or whatever.

The other option is the ergomo but the jury is still out on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager PowerTap wheelset [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRM or Ergomo are not an option - I use Rotor Cranks

Price wise the SRM pro is $2600 (the amateur model is not something I would be interested in) and the Bontragers are $1200 a set
Last edited by: Gary Tingley: Jul 19, 04 22:19
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager PowerTap wheelset [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got them. Something like $1000 at the local trek dealer. That's nothing like an SRM ($2500). They're easy to switch from one bike to another. I have an SRM and the calibration is a pain, but you have to do it to ensure accuracy. The PT will be accurate from the start.

I would generally recommend them. Limitations: they are not all that light. Expect to change the cone on the Powertap hub in about 6 months. See the Topica Wattage forum for more details.

-- Jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager PowerTap wheelset [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks, I will likely check them out at the Trek store, our club is sponsored by them and I can get them for a decent discount

I will probably do some road racing next year on them as well
Quote Reply