Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bontrager Ballista
Quote | Reply
Anyone racing in the Bontrager Ballista?

The design seems to offer some aero gains and ease of entry that would combine to make it a good shoe for short course racing.

Thoughts?

Scott

https://www.trekbikes.com/...675/?colorCode=white
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jun 5, 19 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Ballista [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there was another thread on it HERE but doesn't seem like anyone was using them yet. I am planning on giving these a shot when my current shoes give up, which is seeming to be near...
I think I'd still prefer my tri shoes for sprints just for ease of flying mounts but for the 70.3's I do, AGer's aren't allowed to have shoes mounted; and even then you could still get into these, just maybe not as quick as a tri shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use them and like them. they less expensive that other high end shoes and feel a little cheaper, but to my foot they feel great. The boa takes a tiny bit more effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not... race in LG Tri-400 that have a for the main closure and BOA for the lower part of the shoe. I'm not sure how the Ballista would work for me as I've got a wide food and the LG shoe works okay for me with flying mounts, closes relatively easy. I'm not sure in just looking at the design of the shoe if it'd be easy for flying mounts for me at least.

I'd maybe like this Ballista as a road shoe as feet can swell and it'd be an easy twist on the rear... my road shoes have the two way BOAs as well, honestly I've never felt the need to mess with them during a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them and several thousand miles on them. They are not the best shoe I've ever owned comfort wise, but I bet they are the fastest. They are light and they are aero.

The padding is a hair thick up top and that makes cranking the boa a little hard. So I generally tighten them through the first 30 minutes of a ride a bit more at a time. I hope they come out with a minimal XXX version because that would give the higher end / thinner / better feel materials.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do, but in their Ballista helmet :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Ballista [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great feedback. Light and aero sounds good!

I’m pleased with the XXX as my everyday shoe, and hoping the Ballista would offer a comparable fit and feel. With short course racing around 1hr on the bike, I want something I can get into and forget about.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Ballista [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shoes arrived today and my first impression couldn’t be much better. I’m excited to set them up and get a feel for them on the road.

I was tempted to jump on the Empire bandwagon. However, the Ballista appears to be a well designed alternative without the hacking. Somewhat surprised these shoes aren’t more popular here on Slowtwitch. They appear to be a perfect tri shoe; easy access, light and aero. Time will tell.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit late on this. But wore them for Kona last year and was pretty happy. Had tried and failed with doing the elastic laces on giro empires and specialized shoes and could not get them to work with my feet. And definitely a big plus after 100km being able to adjust the fit by a few clicks of the boa. Worth a few practices for the mounts and how to avoid catching your toes on the boa cables.

My only negative on them is that when riding on the tops of the shoes (before getting my feet in) they had picked up a few small dents in the end of the toe box. Think it is more cosmetic than anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Ballista [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better late than never! Glad to know they are working for you.

Scott
Quote Reply