Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Blu's new bike fit
Quote | Reply
Looks like there are some extender bracket on both the seat post and risers to move him forward like 5 inches. Looks crazy.

Harvard, what's going on with that? Will Giant build him something to accommodate such fit?

Can't get the pic to load on mobile, but here's a close-up screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/gc9jugm.jpg
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Jan 14, 22 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks pretty far forward indeed, like the old 90 degree frame sets from the early nineties. I wonder if he is still within the rules.
If I recall collect there is a rule in tri that the tip of the saddle may not be further then 50 mm in front of the bottom bracket.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PICS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a problem with the Trinity that the seatpost doesn't allow you to move the saddle as far forward as other bikes.
And the bars are terrible. It just looks like he is having to bodge solutions to match what could be done on a bike that suited him better.
With the ISM saddle he can go massively forward and still be within the 50mm rule that Jeroen mentioned - though I have broken that rule with some small riders and have never seen it checked.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, I have never heard that this rule was checked or applied. Heck, Iā€™m not even sure if most referees or marshalls at the check zone even know this rule :-)
And even more true on the Trinity, wheneven someone comes through the door for a bike fit you know its going to be one of those days ;-)

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His position seems rather extreme. Is the Trinity really that far off other bikes? Those extenders are suuuuper long.

I wonder what Giant will do if this is the fit he wants. Extensions should be fine with something like a custom Ganna cockpit. But the seatpost needed would be quite something.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that saddle setback is one of the UCI rules that makes no sense, fortunately not applicable to tri.
Most of triathletes set their saddle significantly forward.

From that Blu picture attached, seems tip of the saddle is even ahead of the bottom bracket, even with ISM saddle......

That's interestesting that he feels more powerful in that position. For me, if I get more forward than a certain point, I lose my ability to engage my glutes for applying power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I muffin hope he is the one that wins st g,
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
And even more true on the Trinity, wheneven someone comes through the door for a bike fit you know its going to be one of those days ;-)

Our online questionnaire collects info on what type of bike(s) the rider is bringing to the fit so I can bash my head against the wall beforehand to get in the mood for dealing with blacklisted models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
His position seems rather extreme. Is the Trinity really that far off other bikes? Those extenders are suuuuper long.

His position would be extreme on any bike, yes. But the Trinity makes it much harder to test the extremes
Quote:
I wonder what Giant will do if this is the fit he wants.

Given that Giant have a world tour team again this year I imagine they'll release the new bike they parked when they knew they wouldn't have any top tier riders to showcase it.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
that saddle setback is one of the UCI rules that makes no sense, fortunately not applicable to tri.

We're referring to 5.11 (c) found here https://www.teamusa.org/...ve-rules#article%203

Which does apply to tri. But as Jeroen mentioned - few know it. Entirely possible that Blus team don't know it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so there is a new trinity in the works?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is kinda extreme from what I can see of that screenshot!
gotta be a position that fits a new trinity that they can't show yet, surely that position wouldn't work on the road on the current giant trinity?
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see that fit working on any current tri or tt bike unless he gets a custom gooseneck seatpost and custom bars with extreme forward angled risers. With that much weight over the front wheel, you'd think it was twitchy, too. I'm sure whatever they're doing will make him faster though šŸ˜…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
pabloarc wrote:

We're referring to 5.11 (c) found here https://www.teamusa.org/...ve-rules#article%203 Which does apply to tri. But as Jeroen mentioned - few know it. Entirely possible that Blus team don't know it.

some of us know it because we helped write those rules ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
pabloarc wrote:

We're referring to 5.11 (c) found here https://www.teamusa.org/...ve-rules#article%203

Which does apply to tri. But as Jeroen mentioned - few know it. Entirely possible that Blus team don't know it.

Does this apply in Kona ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

His position would be extreme on any bike, yes. But the Trinity makes it much harder to test the extremes
Quote:

I wonder what Giant will do if this is the fit he wants.

Given that Giant have a world tour team again this year I imagine they'll release the new bike they parked when they knew they wouldn't have any top tier riders to showcase it.

I actually have heard from a reliable source there is coming a new Giant disc brake equiped tri/tt bike coming this season. Might be good possible that Bluā€™s team is doing some testing what position is possible without showing the actual bike. But do knowing what fit range is possible so they have to replicate that on to his old bike until Giant is ready to release it.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you guys were referring to the UCI rule that mention front of saddle should be at least 5cms behind the BB.

The one you pointed is different.
I think Blu looks to still be compliant with that one. Wouldn't think his front of saddle is more than 5cms in front of the BB.

"A vertical line touching the front most point of the saddle may be no more than 5 centimeters in front of and no more than 15 centimeters behind a vertical line passing through the center of the chain wheel axle. The cyclist must not have the capability of adjusting the saddle beyond these limits during competition."
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heā€™s kind of a unique morphology, but I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d do something like this without serious consideration on all the fronts that anyone in the know would consider. I think it looks really good, in a unique way, and itā€™s silly to imagine they donā€™t know what a ā€œgoodā€ CdA would be and that they made big gains. Whatā€™ll be interesting is to see if others try that kind of extreme change. I changed my fit up similarly to what theyā€™ve done here after my first Ironman in October, and itā€™s made a massive difference in comfort, while being lower up front and flatter through the back. Mine still looks pretty standard for a modern fit, but I do also have the seat about as far forward as itā€™ll go on this same bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like my man is using a seat shifter from back in the day. Luvā€™d me my seat shifter! But more seriously, this position will help him slipstream better behind his lead out. So in a pack of riders doing 50k/ hour all Blu needs is a Starky sized bloke to sit behind and heā€™ll cruise all 112 miles basically at his VT1 ā€” setting him up for a sub 2:30 marathon. IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Yes, Section 5.03 (iii)
https://cdn3.sportngin.com/...768474477.1642274883
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

some of us know it because we helped write those rules ;-)

I would rather hope that you would know all the rules pertaining to tri positions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
marcag wrote:

Yes, Section 5.03 (iii)
https://cdn3.sportngin.com/...768474477.1642274883

My eye is certainly not as good as yours, I don't see the tip being > +5cm. Do you ?
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol

That is so awesome Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There you go
Quote Reply

Prev Next