Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blackberry 7100t!
Quote | Reply
Just got it today! Awesome, I've been waiting for this type of device for some time. Now I can carry one unit instead of two (PDA and phone).

Only thing is, I had to get T Mobile service and I hope the coverage is good.

Free Blackberry/phone ($100 with $100 mail in rebate)! Offer good until tomorrow, if anyone is looking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous (sort of). i want one, for the same reason you do. I am hesitant, for the same reason you were. T-mobile stinks! Not sure where you are, but check this site, which links to carrier coverage rankings in different areas. http://www.roamer1.org/wireless/atlanta.html

Please report back, on T-Mobile's coverage, on the ease of use of the phone, on how you like the non-qwerty keyboard and phone reception.

good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who'd you get the deal through?

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Blackberry!!! And the T-Mobile coverage is pretty good all across the US and in Europe. I'll let you know how it works in NZ in a few weeks.

connected clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel connected to you in so many ways...(Van derHayden, etc.)

lol

Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [scout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ushop-wireless.com/...?campaign=goog_7100t

I got this from Google, it's good until tomorrow. In addition to the phone, they charge $20 for 2 day shipping. You have to sign up for new activation AND a $19.95/mth unlimited data plan. I was hesitant to do this over the net, so I called and left a message, as well as doing a little research on the company. They are a T Mobile dealer and a telecom consulting business. They called me back later in the day, I talked with a woman for a while, she was not pushy at all. T Mobile has a 14 day trial period, so I decided to go for it.

I do dot represent this company, or T Mobile, this is just my opinion, but so far, so good. The phone is cool, but I am a gadget sucker.

Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [slowfathappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the link. this DOES have a qwerty keypad, it's the newest Blackberry, much sleeker than other Blackberrys. Nice sized screen, although I have never used a cell phone for anything else but a phone. I carry a PDA, so I have wanted a user friendly, inexpensive all in one for at least a year. I have big hands, I don't like midget flip phones. The Motorola Razor from Cingular looks very cool, but it's also $499.99! This was FREE (mail in reabate and must sign up for phone and data service, but I'm still paying less for both, with nore minutes than my old plan)!!!

Now about coverage...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. About the coverage . . .

I meant that the keyboard is a toggle, as opposed to separate buttons for qwerty. Are you also using the "smart typing" or whatever they call it? How do you like that? Please keep us updated. I have the 7280, and have different services for voice and data (I like redundancy). But the 7100 is sweet, and I would think about connsolidating.

Did you touch or hold the Razor? I like that too, but it's some big bucks, and I've heard it's not all that durable. And tough for big-handed guys
Quote Reply
Teo 270 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll offer up that the Handsping Treo 270 (Color flip-lid model) is a great bargain for those trying out combining a pda and phone.

I avoided cell phones like the plague for years, until we had our son and I couldn't in good conscience be unavailable anymore. I'd had a palm based pda for years and didn't want to have two things, so tried out the Treo.

I use AT&T, now combined with Cingular, and have the nationwide plan phone with great coverage. I've got my 8 years of pda info in there as well, and the qwerty board is easy to use and much better than the old graffitti. You don't have to get the data plan for email and web use, but can get pretty decent ones through AT&T if you want.

Bonus, they don't make the 270 model anymore, and they are up on Ebay relatively cheaply, just make sure you get one that is not locked to a provider, unless you're going with that provider. Slap in your SIM card and rock.

Just thought I'd share, as combining the two is a lifesaver for me.

T
Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [slowfathappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the 7100t and it's definitely not as user friendly (for me) to type as the older 7510 which has one button for each letter. The smart type works well (as far as figuring out what you are trying to type) but the keypad is just so small.

The reason I like it is that I can put it in my pocket versus the 7510 which is massive. (I'm not a cell phone on the belt guy....even though that's such a cool look!)

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
the clip [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does the 7100 come with a similar belt clip to the 72xx series? i think one of the reasons the 72xx seems so big is that I always jam it in my pocket with the belt clip - primarily because the clip protects the screen and locks the keypad - I've ended up diealing numbers or sending unintended emails without the "lock" on.

But if the 7100 uses a similar "clip" I imagine it would be even bulkier in a pocket?
Quote Reply
Re: the clip [slowfathappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It came with a nylon case that has a fairly slim clip on the back. The unit slips into the case. I plan on trying it out tonight.

Quote Reply
Re: the clip [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want that new SX66 thing that is supposed to come out from AT&T Cingular soon.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Teo 270 [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem with the treo is that it uses a pull technology for the e-mail versus the push for the blackberry. For my business it is much more important to have the e-mails pushed to the system versus the other way around. Although if you are traveling internationally (outside of Europe) the treo is better as it can access a more networks around the world.

My dad has the treo as he travels a fair bit outside of NA and Europe to less developed countries were the blackberry is no good.

Myself I love the new blackberry. much better than my previous. the keyboard was a bit of an adjustment but i find it easier now.
Quote Reply
Too true . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 . . . I agree that if mobile email is crucial, Blackberry sets the standard. It's not that big a deal for me, but instead the palm-based calendar is more important and I'm too lazy to spend the time to get comfortable with new software.

Cheers..T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have to get extra service from you carrier for the email? or can you get it through your standard "wireless web" service?

I've been debating the treo vs. blackberry for a while. From what I got from some other people, with the treo, you just need internet access to get you email. With the blackberry "push", you have to pay for an extra service for email PLUS internet access if you want to get on the web

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to get the free Blackberry deal, you have to sign up for a phone deal of at least $39.99/mth and also an unlimited data deal for $19.99/mth. This works for me, as I was paying more for just phone service, plus it's only a one year contract, as opposed to the typical two year deals everyone else demands.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frogonawire,

I owe you a beer. I was about to switch to T*Mobile. Tomorrow. I was about to buy this 7100t. Tomorrow. Full price.

I was paying $100 to Sprint for 1,000 minutes. I had to make a switch. I needed a blackberry too b/c I rely heavily on e-mail for work. Now I'm paying $69 for 3,000 and unlimited e-mail plus I got a free phone.

If you're ever in Houston, TX. PM me. I owe you HUGE!

James
Quote Reply
Re: Blackberry 7100t! [jameshinton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to quote (sort of) Donald Trump:

"That's Yooge!"

Awesome, man, glad it works for you.

So far, I love this thing, and for once, the case the phone comes with is not bad.

The shipping was as described - I ordered late Monday evening, they processed it and shipped it late Tuesday afternoon, it arrived this morning.

Now, about Bluetooth - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote Reply