Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Biking in and around Las Vegas
Quote | Reply
I will be going to Las Vegas in mid-October for a work trip and I am contemplating bringing my bike. I will be staying at the Caesar's Palace hotel and will not have a rental car.

Does anyone know if it is possible to ride from Caesar's Palace without getting killed? How tough would it be to get out of downtown to places that are decent to ride? Any recommendations on where to go?

How will the weather be in Vegas at this time of the year?

Thanks,
Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Biking in and around Las Vegas [Harkin Banks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt,
The weather in Vegas in October is absolutely beautiful for cycling. Cycling on the strip can be a little scary. You can always put your bike on a bus though. They have bike racks on the front. If you can make your way downtown near the outlet center take alta road west. It has a bike lane and not much traffic. Then left on town center to charleston and turn right. That will take you to red rocks. Great cycling out there. There are a lot of group rides and clubs in town. check out http://www.vegasbikeclub.org for schedules. Also on October 16th is the Las Vegas Century. http://www.lasvegascentury.org It's a great ride going around the valley through red rocks then through Boulder City and Lake Mead.
There is also a triathlon at Lake Las Vegas on the 17th. http://www.bbscendurancesports.com
If you decide not to bring your bike you can always rent from Las Vegas Cyclery. http://www.lasvegascyclery.com
Have fun in Vegas!

Blas

p.s Go see the Blue Man Group, it's the best show in town!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding in Vegas ranges from great (Red Rock, Mt Charleston, Lake Las Vegas/Mead) to scary (in town). Weather in October will be great for riding ... it never really gets too cold to ride here.

Ceasars is located in the middle of the Strip. I ride the Strip every few weeks, more for the amusement factor than fitness. Traffic on the Strip is always heavy and generally slow. I feel fine riding it, but you have to be used to riding in heavy traffic and very defensive.

It would be a pretty long ride to leave from the Strip and go out to Red Rock, Lake Mead etc. I think its about 20 miles to Red Rock from the Strip (it's 28 miles exactly from my house to Red Rock). From Ceasars, it would be a long ride just to get out of town.

I would recommend renting a car and riding at Red Rock. If you've not ridden there before, it really is spectacular. Bikes are allowed to enter without paying, the road is paved and traffic is light and polite. The loop is about 14 miles, with the first 5 or so uphill. It's a tough ride w/o being overly hard. The ride starts at about 2400 feet and the high point is, I think, about 4400 feet.

Mt. Charleston is also pretty. You can park near the base of the mountain at about 2800 feet, and climb for the next 17 miles to an altitude of about 8000. Talk about a tough ride!

Send me an email if you'd like more about riding in the area. Maybe we could meet and I could show you around.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Biking in and around Las Vegas [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Send me an email if you'd like more about riding in the area. Maybe we could meet and I could show you around.

Going to be back in Las Vegas for Interbike 2005 at the end of next month and this year I will get to bring a bike and thought I would resurect this thread. I took at the http://www.vegasbikeclub.org website and was curious about the morning rides listed on their ride schedule (specifically the week of September 26)? Anybody know if these are pretty well attended rides or are they simply place holders on the calendar every week.

Also, the bike show ends at 6:00 pm each day, so what time does the sun start to set as I would like to head out for a loop or two at Red Rock Canyon once or twice during the week?

Finally, during my search of Las Vegas threads, there were a lot of posts that mentioned seeing the 'O' show - um, what is the 'O' show and is is suitable for the family?

Thanks,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Aug 26, 05 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brought my bike while traveling to Vegas as well (much to my wife's dismay). Biked from the Bellagio to Mt. Charleston and around red rock - very nice. But, the most fun was biking from the Bellagio past lake Mead down to the Hoover Damn - Awesome climb on the way out. Passing cars looked at me like I was nuts. An entire tour bus of Japanese tourist literally stopped on the mountain and were taking my photo - I heard them saying Lance! I laughed, stopped to pose and rode off. I'll never forget that trip. A little long (will kill a day) to get to the damn and back, but tons of fun.

Be very careful biking in the city/strip though as traffic is awful with lots of gawkers