Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Biking/running near Lake Tahoe?
Quote | Reply
I'll be vacationing in South Lake Tahoe the week after next and am looking for recommendations for places to ride nearby. The roads directly around the lake, regretfully, are far too highly trafficked (and narrow) for good cycling, so where does one go to get away from the traffic and get in a good road ride, assuming you're taking off directly on the bike from somewhere in South Lake Tahoe?

Also looking for recommendations for good places to run. The bike path on the west shore seems nice, but I'm not sure where good start/finish spots would be. I've tried running on the Powerline trail, but it seems to get "lost" and crosses too much privat property. Where to go?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Re: Biking/running near Lake Tahoe? [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could start in Markleeville and do one or two of the Death Ride passes - Monitor/Ebbets would be good. Not sure about running in South Lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too familiar with South Lake as I always stay up on the North side. Anyway, for running: the Tahoe Rim Trail goes around the entire lake and the parts I've run on the North side have been awesome. Google 'Tahoe Rim Trail' for maps etc., but here is some info on the trail segements between main trailheads...

TAHOE CITY - BROCKWAY
TRAIL CONDITIONS

The Tahoe City to Brockway segment of the Tahoe Rim runs 19 miles from Tahoe City (elevation 6,300’) to Brockway Summit (7,200’).

BROCKWAY SUMMIT TO TAHOE MEADOWS
TRAIL CONDITIONS
The Brockway to Tahoe Meadows segment of the Tahoe Rim runs 18 miles from Brockway Summit (7,200’), to just beneath Martis Peak (8,660’), to Mount Rose Highway.

Tahoe Meadows to Spooner Summit

TRAIL CONDITIONS
Between Tahoe Meadows (8,560’)and and Spooner Summit (7,150’), 21 miles of trail snake around the lofty granite peaks of the Carson Range.

SPOONER SUMMIT SOUTH - KINGSBURY NORTH
TRAIL CONDITIONS
The trail between Spooner Summit South (7,150’) and Kingsbury North (7,920’) runs for 12 generally moderate miles across the rocky spine and pine-clad slopes of the Carson Range.

KINGSBURY SOUTH BIG MEADOW
TRAIL CONDITIONS

The Kingsbury South, Heavenly Stagecoach Heavenly Stage(7,520’)to Big Meadow (7,200’) leg of the Tahoe Rim Trail runs for 22.5 miles across the forested slopes of the Carson Range.

BIG MEADOW - ECHO LAKE
TRAIL CONDITIONS

Sixteen miles of Tahoe Rim Trail connect the Big Meadow (7,200’ elevation) and Echo Summit (7,400’) trailheads.

ECHO LAKES-BARKER PASS
TRAIL CONDITIONS

Between Echo Lake (7,420’) and Barker Pass (7,640’), 32 miles of moderate to difficult trail leads through the granite heart of the Desolation Wilderness.

BARKER PASS-TAHOE CITY
TRAIL CONDITIONS

The first five miles of moderate to gentle trail run north from Barker Pass(7,640’) to Twin Peaks (8,880’) where the TRT branches from the Pacific Crest Trail near Twin Peaks and continues 8 miles down through Paige Meadows and on to Tahoe City

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more thing: I've ridden around the lake and if you leave early enough in the morning and do it mid-week, there is far less traffic - especially as you get away from South Lake.

But if you really want to avoid cars...mountain bike. The flume trail is very challenging, but probably one of the better known routes up there. Also, Northstar converts into a mountain bike park in the summer with all levels of riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a paved trail for cycling/running in South Lake Tahoe near Camp Richardson, also I did the vast majority of my 1st marathon training on Fallen Leaf road that goes by Fallen leaf lake. Also there are an abundance of trails, I can't remember them all but you can easily buy a map when you get there.
Quote Reply