Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bikes to/from Kona
Quote | Reply
can we talk about the cost? as well as you all know, what is it costing you to send your bike to kona and back? and, where, roughly, is it traveling from/to? and how are you getting it there?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes to/from Kona [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am taking it with me on the plane. It’s 175 each way. Getting there 11 days early. It’s really not that hard to take apart my bike and put it back together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shipping via UPS 2 day, fully insured of course. To many stories about airlines and TBT that I just don't want to risk it. I'd rather pack my own bikes and send them with UPS. Bikes will arrive 2 days before I do so if something is really messed up I can take action while still at home. We arrive 7 days before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes to/from Kona [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:
Shipping via UPS 2 day, fully insured of course. To many stories about airlines and TBT that I just don't want to risk it. I'd rather pack my own bikes and send them with UPS. Bikes will arrive 2 days before I do so if something is really messed up I can take action while still at home. We arrive 7 days before the race.

from where? how much round trip?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I paid/am paying $550 to get my P5 from Wisconsin to Kona and back along with a duffle bag. Some may call me a chump, but, I've flown with my old Transition once to IMCda and it was the most nerve racking travel I've ever had. I look forward to dropping it off in Milwaukee and picking it up in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes to/from Kona [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ktri and All,

Might be worthwhile to shop rates.

https://www.bikeflights.com/

https://www.tribiketransport.com/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
I paid/am paying $550 to get my P5 from Wisconsin to Kona and back along with a duffle bag. Some may call me a chump, but, I've flown with my old Transition once to IMCda and it was the most nerve racking travel I've ever had. I look forward to dropping it off in Milwaukee and picking it up in Kona.

thanks. just, via which method? and for those who'll answer this, i'm looking for:

1. how you're shipping it;
2. how much is it costing;
3. where are you shipping it from/to?
4. and for extra credit, what it costs w/o insurance, and how much with, and how much are you insuring it for?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Ktri wrote:

thanks. just, via which method? and for those who'll answer this, i'm looking for:

4. and for extra credit, what it costs w/o insurance, and how much with, and how much are you insuring it for?

1. On the plane with me
2. 175 each way
3. Michigan to Kona. Kona and back
4. No insurance. Have did it 5 times already with good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SFO to Kona direct on United

Typically pay $150 each way for the bike, very well packed in my EVOC bag.

Flight is *free* using miles...

United always charge the bike fee from SFO but I’m 2 for 2 on not paying for the return leg bike fee this year on international flights (1x from Munich and 1x from Port Elizabeth, i.e today)

In past years, I haven’t always been charged out of KOA but I think they’re more consistent these days.

As an aside, I had a really positive experience using Bike Flights this summer for a trip to the East Coast where I shipped my road bike. Only $50 each way in a Trico Iron case but I was without the bike for a week either side of the trip. In Kona, I pretty much want my bike with me until I travel as well as for post-race riding on the island.
Last edited by: sfjab: Sep 3, 18 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes to/from Kona [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Ktri wrote:

Sorry, TBT
$515
Wisconsin/Kona

515 includes the $34 for the insurance at $4000
1. On the plane with me
2. 175 each way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Ktri wrote:

Sorry, TBT
$515
Wisconsin/Kona

1. On the plane with me
2. 175 each way

thx. i don't mean to be picky, but doesn't that come to $418? if you pay the $34 each way?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alaska Airlines from SFO to Kona with $25 bike fee each way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
can we talk about the cost? as well as you all know, what is it costing you to send your bike to kona and back? and, where, roughly, is it traveling from/to? and how are you getting it there?

1) Cost - no additional charge, it's one of two free bags allowed (Alaska Airlines MVP status)
2) Bike travel - to and from Portland, OR to Kona via Seattle connection (most likely, once I book ticket this week).
3) My travel - on the same plane as the bike.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Sep 3, 18 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Ktri wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Ktri wrote:

Sorry, TBT
$515
Wisconsin/Kona

1. On the plane with me
2. 175 each way

thx. i don't mean to be picky, but doesn't that come to $418? if you pay the $34 each way?

Item

Qty

Subtotal

Emery's Cycling, Triathlon & Fitness TO IRONMAN® World Championship

Ship gear Bag
Yes ($40)
Wheel Bag
No
Insurance Amount
+$4000 ($32.00)
Bike Make
Cervelo
Bike Model
P5
Bike Color
Black

$515.00

Gear Bag

$40.00

Insurance +$4,000

$32.00

Subtotal

$587.00

Discount (EARLYBIRD)

-$40.00

Grand Total (Excl.Tax)

$547.00

Tax

$0.00

Grand Total (Incl.Tax)

$547.00

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike transport, $300 for the bike w/ a discount code and $40 for another bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Ktri wrote:

Driving 5 hours to Seattle, non stop flight there and back:

1. On the plane, home made bike case (two 180 litre rubber maids, with ply wood base and castors) fits two bikes and I run it right up to 70 pounds and the linear inches limit)

2. Not sure, about 100$-150$ each way keep in mind two bikes.

3. A’s above.

4. No insurance outside of home owners policy, which has a very specific rider for bikes.

Maurice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the plane with me from Palm Beach, FL to Kona. Delta charges $150 each way. So $300 total. Traveling with a hard case.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 3, 18 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flying on Alaska, $25 each way. Last year they offered fedex delivery from kona back to your house if you wanted. Took advantage of it and didn’t have to mess with a bike box at he airport or fitting it into a vehicle at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, okay. so, in the poll now ongoing, you might've checked the box that says, "privately thru bike shop"?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the question, I’ve been looking at options.

I just signed up for Honu 70.3 and am wondering what’s the best thing to do this time. I’ve used TBT so often (IM Canada, Lake Placid and Coeur d’Alene) that I got a frequent shipper bonus free trip. So that felt like a good value. But it’s so much to Kona.

I did TriBikeTransport to Kona for a lot of money back in 2011. I don’t remember how much, it was several hundred dollars. The bike goes on a shipping container on an actual ship, and I was without my bike for longer than usual, it seemed. However, the service was stellar, no complaints.

Hawaiian Airlines would cost $100 each way from LAX for my bike in a hard-sided bike case. I own a bike case, and it’s funny, I’ve actually loaned it out to other athletes more often than I use it myself. That’s probably my plan for tis next trip.

I heard Alaska is lower-cost for bike shipping, but the flights are not direct.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Sep 3, 18 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. In the new poll, I checked the Tri Bike Transport box. Posted earlier is a redacted copy of my email confirmation from TBT showing all costs to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes to/from Kona [triathleat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you give some added info about the FedEx delivery from Kona to your home?

How did you find out about that offer? And it was at no additional cost? What was the time lag between your flight and the bike arriving at your home?

Seems like the best deal going!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I uses TBT 2x to Kona. They manhandle the bike and put a chip or two in the paint but I would still use them. The convenience is so nice, and they are helpful with any maintenance issue.

Apparently my 5 year old HP underlines everything now. Going to roll with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Armored Hen House. $50 each way from EWR>SFO>KOA on United.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ah, okay. so, in the poll now ongoing, you might've checked the box that says, "privately thru bike shop"?

Where can one find the poll? It doesn't seem to be visible anywhere on my iPad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next