Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike weight
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Equinox 9 (it's aluminum) and it ain't light. I love it, but it feels like a pig in the hills. But on downhills and flats, it seems to fly ... I feel like a tractor trailer on the interstate. I get passed on the hills and then I'm right back on people once I'm over the top. And I'm an above-average climber on the road bike. I don't feel it's so much an issue with me as it is with this hog I'm riding (I don't know what it weighs, but it feels like at least 2 of my road bikes).

But the flip side is, why am I catching and passing all these people on P3Cs/P3SLs and other high zoot bikes when I get over the hills? Is it the flip side of that weight penalty?

What this boils down to is, I'm thinking about a lighter bike, but what's the point if what I gain going uphill I lose going downhill? Anyone else notice the same thing or have any thoughts on this?

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike weight [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike weight [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would partially agree...it's not the bike...weight. It may have more to do with positioning. Tri Bike and road bikes use different muscle groups.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even more likely it is the position you are in. I find the forward position robs power on the climbs, but the aero advantage on the flats is worth it on most courses. Aero frames are almost awalys as heavy as EQ 9. Some even worse. Don't sweat it.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Bike weight [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this reply. It may save me lots of money. I haven't had the EQ 9 that long, but I feel like I'm getting better at climbing with it. This is probably because, as you and another poster have noted, it's taking me some time to get accustomed to the position and get the new muscles trained that are coming into play. I decided today that I'm gonna try moving my arm rests forward. I'm not really hitting them all that hard, but I'm brushing them when I'm out of the saddle and I think I'm subconsciously changing my climbing style a bit to avoid that. (I only get out of the saddle on the steepest hills. I stay on the bars whenever possible.)

I do love the EQ9. I'm calling it a pig, but that's in comparison to my Trek 5500 road bike which is my only frame of reference.

Thanks again.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other issue I notice when climbing on my tri bike is that there doesn't seem to be much difference in the muscles used seated vs standing. This may be from being so steep (>80 degrees), you can't really get much further forward, even out of the saddle.

Take note though, with enough training, you can climb well on a tri bike. I blazed through the Horribly Hilly Hundred (200k with 10k of climbing) earlier this summer on my Blade....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you actually weighed your Trek and compared that to an equivalently equipped "other" bike?

The frame weight differences between ordinary and extraordinary frames is only 1 pound or so, with many of the "high zoot" frames not falling into the light end of the spectrum.

If weight were really the issue (which it isn't), but if it were, you'd find far greater weight savings by scrutinizing the wheels and components than the frame.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pass guys during training rides on my tri bike when we are all coasting just because of my more aero position. Some of them have P3's and better wheels but with all those damn spacers they are human sails.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike weight [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Have you actually weighed your Trek and compared that to an equivalently equipped "other" bike?"

Justin,

No, I haven't ... but your perspective is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I think I'll focus on making a few modifications to the EQ9 over the winter and keep the rest of the dough in the piggy bank to pay heating bills. I've got my eye on the new FSA TriMax bars with the race bend. Sweeeeeeet.

Bob C. (Golden Hurricane Alum.!)
Quote Reply