Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike sizing - I apologise profusely
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Sorry, I know that this has probably been done to death already and I can only apologise again.

Iā€™m after some advice TT bike sizing wise, Iā€™m looking to buy second hand as my first dabble into the world of TT bikes and I know a thorough bike fit is worth itā€™s weight in gold but the money I could have spent on that Iā€™d rather add onto the cost of a 2nd hand bike and the adjust the bike myself (stem, saddle position etc). What I need help on is should I get a medium or large frame.

Iā€™m 6ft (183cm) with an inside leg of 33ā€ (84cm). I currently ride a Planet X ec130e (free from Planet X) with a 70cm stem that fits very well (on drops and hoods). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know all brands fit differently but Iā€™m seeing mixed advice all over the place hence the post.

Iā€™m looking at Planet X Exocet 2, older CervĆ©lo P2/3 and anything else that is in my price range (super cheap) and looks sexy.

Many thanks,
Big Ron
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [BigRonMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the best part of this post... he's already apologized for choosing to skip that step in order to spend more money on a bike that doesn't fit his fit numbers!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats right, spending the money on the hunt for n+1

Iā€™m looking for advice on frame sizes, rest I can dial in and to be honest, can dial in regardless of frame size but being new to the game I would like an opinion as to what would, in theory, fit best. I can then take it from there.

Also, no idea what fit numbers mean but Iā€™m guessing if I had a bike fit I would.
Last edited by: BigRonMo: Jun 20, 20 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you start trying to adjust it yourself you will understand why noone is giving you a size. So many variables.
Anyway, large or 58 should be ā€˜bout right. You will forever regret not get fit first and getting it right from the beginning. Speaking from experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kenny, I understand the risks (I think) but thatā€™s why Iā€™m going secondhand. Give it a couple of years, get a bike fit, new beast and pat/kick myself for the extra watts and comfort Iā€™ve found. If I get on with TT that is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigRonMo wrote:
Thanks Kenny, I understand the risks (I think) but thatā€™s why Iā€™m going secondhand. Give it a couple of years, get a bike fit, new beast and pat/kick myself for the extra watts and comfort Iā€™ve found. If I get on with TT that is.

Huge mistake. I just bought a new bike after 8 years. I got a fit and the fitter ordered the proper size.

I wouldn't even consider buying a TT bike without getting a fit first. I went from a small to a large. That is how wrong I was. Don't make that mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ron,

If you've not ridden a TT or try bike, which it sounds like you haven't, your going to have very little concept of how it should feel. Don't underestimate that - even if you've got a lot of years riding and a nicely dialled in road bike. A fit is, in the grander scheme, inexpensive. It'll allow you to enjoy the position, rather than struggle uncomfortably in a contorted position.

Plus, finding out your ideal position is outside the adjustment range of your frame would suck...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all youā€™re replies, think itā€™s clear that Iā€™d be better off with a specific TT bike fit...

Iā€™ve ridden roadies for several years now in various states of competition with several fittings on them, my position hasnā€™t changed in years, the last fit I had we didnā€™t change my position at all, tried a few things but ended up going back to how I went in. Figured the fit would be similar to when I, which is now banned, sit my elbows on the bars and grind away. But thanks for all your help, Iā€™ll keep you posted (probably)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you just have to find someone who will do the fit properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha! Yep... the next challenge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy a used bike at a really good price, not much risk, if it doesn't fit you can always sell it for no loss or even make money on it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size is your current Planet X bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a 56 and you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
Buy a 56 and you will be fine.
Magic!

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im going against everyone here. Buy a medium. Itā€™ll give you more options than a large for saddle to pad drop, and you can always put on a longer stem if itā€™s not long enough. Which will be good for you as longer stems = slower steering, and you donā€™t want twitchy steering on your first TT bike. For and anecdote, Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ and ride a 55 cm original P2 with 23 cm of saddle to pad drop. Would like a 120 stem, but have one piece bars with built-in 100, so I just deal with it.

While bike fit is a (pseudo)science, itā€™s not particularly difficult. A fit will be tons of trial and error to get into your preferred setup, with the main benefit being the shop has a fit bike that makes rapid adjustments rather than swapping out parts which you may, or may not, have on hand.
Last edited by: Khilgendorf: Jun 21, 20 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know how to find a good fitter?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khilgendorf wrote:
Im going against everyone here. Buy a medium. Itā€™ll give you more options than a large for saddle to pad drop, and you can always put on a longer stem if itā€™s not long enough. Which will be good for you as longer stems = slower steering, and you donā€™t want twitchy steering on your first TT bike. For and anecdote, Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ and ride a 55 cm original P2 with 23 cm of saddle to pad drop. Would like a 120 stem, but have one piece bars with built-in 100, so I just deal with it.

While bike fit is a (pseudo)science, itā€™s not particularly difficult. A fit will be tons of trial and error to get into your preferred setup, with the main benefit being the shop has a fit bike that makes rapid adjustments rather than swapping out parts which you may, or may not, have on hand.
The idea that bike fit is some iterative process of trial and error is 100% incorrect.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jun 21, 20 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for the fitters:
What percentage of clients do you fit to frame sizes that are outside of what a bike manufacturer typically recommends in their generic (e.g. height or inseam based) fitting chart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigRonMo wrote:
Iā€™m after some advice TT bike sizing wise

No worries. Get a medium or large (54-56ish) and make sure it takes a normal rather than integrated stem. Huge range of front end coordinates by swapping stems... which are cheap. You can even get an adjustable stem... at least for position testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigRonMo wrote:
Hi,

Iā€™m 6ft (183cm) with an inside leg of 33ā€ (84cm). I currently ride a Planet X ec130e (free from Planet X) with a 70cm stem that fits very well

Big Ron
Even given that you mean a 7cm stem, I cant see that someone 6ft tall has a good fit with a stem that short?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigRonMo wrote:

Iā€™m looking at Planet X Exocet 2, older CervĆ©lo P2/3 and anything else that is in my price range (super cheap) and looks sexy.

Many thanks,
Big Ron

if you're looking for a Cervelo, check out the Official Cervelo Fit Thread here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...4/?do=post_view#last

talk to you soon,
Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Khilgendorf wrote:

The idea that bike fit is some iterative process of trial and error is 100% incorrect.

this is an interesting thread / line of thought.

While it may seem like "trial and error" to a client, both in the long term by experimenting with new stuff on their own bikes or in the short term going through a Retul or other dynamic fit bike process with a competent fitter, it's not. I use the "eye doctor" method, better or worse, A or B a lot of times when I fit, but it's not trial and error. I usually know within like *eleven* seconds of a client being in my studio what they need or what I want to do with their position. The other 2-3 hours is sales, leading a horse to water, gaining buy-in, instructing and coaching and guiding, what have you. What this not-very-observant poster calls "trial and error" is really just the art of getting a client to think the new position is both *ideal*, optimized, and also his or her idea.

When a client leaves the studio with that slam dunk/home run feeling and just *knows* that their position is both optimized in relation to physics, optimized in relation to their own personal needs, and also their idea, it's a win-win for all involved. They're happy and are 100% more likely to ride the position as prescribed and I'm happy because they're going to go much much faster.

Easy? Sure. Simple? No. It's a complex process.

E

Edit: also, "iterative process" is like the opposite of trial and error. Iterative process is the term I use for my methods, and those words have a specific meaning to me.

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jun 22, 20 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Khilgendorf wrote:

this is an interesting thread / line of thought.

While it may seem like "trial and error" to a client, both in the long term by experimenting with new stuff on their own bikes or in the short term going through a Retul or other dynamic fit bike process with a competent fitter, it's not. I use the "eye doctor" method, better or worse, A or B a lot of times when I fit, but it's not trial and error. I usually know within like *eleven* seconds of a client being in my studio what they need or what I want to do with their position. The other 2-3 hours is sales, leading a horse to water, gaining buy-in, instructing and coaching and guiding, what have you. What this not-very-observant poster calls "trial and error" is really just the art of getting a client to think the new position is both *ideal*, optimized, and also his or her idea.

When a client leaves the studio with that slam dunk/home run feeling and just *knows* that their position is both optimized in relation to physics, optimized in relation to their own personal needs, and also their idea, it's a win-win for all involved. They're happy and are 100% more likely to ride the position as prescribed and I'm happy because they're going to go much much faster.

Easy? Sure. Simple? No. It's a complex process.

E

Edit: also, "iterative process" is like the opposite of trial and error. Iterative process is the term I use for my methods, and those words have a specific meaning to me.

My apologies, you're absolutely correct in calling it iterative. My use of "trial and error" was not that one should exclude past experience and randomly throw darts until you settle on the right fit; rather, that one's bike fit is not a definitive point that will never change. Basically, you'll make a change, trial it, and then accept or adjust. I guarantee that it will take you more than 11 seconds to prescribe a fit. A full 3 hour appointment? Nah, but at least 30 minutes for a new rider. Maybe less for someone who comes in with a specific issue or two to address.

Additionally, I'm certain that one's position will not be optimized in relation to both comfort and physics coming from a fit only. You simply just don't know without extensively testing the individual. Sure you have a number of data points from other riders and can use them as a baseline/normal case scenario, but due to individual variances you simply cannot say a person is in their "best" position after just a studio fit. They may be happy with the result, and you may have made some additional sales (win-win) but certainly something will be sub-optimal (this is by definition).

To the OP's question: what to buy without a fit. Others have chimed in similarly with a medium'large (54-56cm) frame. This will be plenty adjustable if there is 1) a reversible/slidable seatpost and 2) plenty of vertical adjustment for aerobars, either through ample steerer tube or pedestals. The only thing that will require an equipment swap is cockpit length through a new stem (though some aerobars are adjustable enough here, too), so he can figure out what he wants on his own over the span of a couple weeks. The only immediate benefit a fit will get him is zeroing in on those measurements quickly and not needing to maybe buy a new stem or 2, or test multiple saddles from home. He's been riding a road bike for a while, so should know when something feels off and how to change it to suit his needs.
Last edited by: Khilgendorf: Jun 23, 20 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing - I apologise profusely [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Youā€™re still describing trial and error.

An iterative process is going from the current system to the desired system in feasible/acceptable iterations or chunks, not trialing something and accepting or rejecting.

We are talking about different things.

Quote Reply

Prev Next