Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike question for the power training experts
Quote | Reply
I am relatively new to training with power on the bike. I have found that I can put out the same X watts at a HR=145 bpm and cadence=60 rpm as I can at a HR=155 and a cadence=80. My question is which scenario (lower HR/lower cadence vs. higher HR/higher cadence) would be most advantageous for a better HIM run?

Before you tell me to try it out in training and see what happens, I plan to. But i wanted to see what works best for the experienced STers.

My second question as a follow up is whether it is a physiological given that higher cadence = higher HR to achieve a certain power output? Or could this be equalized, or even reversed, with specific training methods?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike question for the power training experts [ZenRT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cadence of 60 is low. Of the two choices, I would go for 80/155 every day of the week. 90/155 might be even better...

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday AM bump.

Can anyone help a brother?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Monday AM bump.

Can anyone help a brother?
Sure. Toss out the HRM. You're using a PM so HR doesn't need to be looked at again except for intellectual curiousity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are giving HR a bit more importance than might be ideal. You train with power because it is a direct measure of what you did. HR is an indirect measure of intensity. It tracks how the heart and lungs responded to the demands you are placing on them via the legs, what you are already monitoring with power. HR values can have useful information but you should not use it as means to measure efficiency on the bike because as you have already discovered, low cadence = low HR.

My $0.02 would be to focus on raising your power levels and racing intelligently given your training

Jason
Dig It Triathlon and Multisport
http://www.digittri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike question for the power training experts [Dig It Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume that a higher HR on the bike (say 10 extra beats per min for 2.5 hrs) would have some metabolic consequences for a HIM run. The crux of my question is whether these metabolic consequences might be offset by the leg sparing consequences of higher cadence vis-a-vis ultimate run performance.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An easy way to find the answer to your question would be to ride at 60rpm for an hour and then run a 5k and later on ride for an hour at 85-90rpm and then run a 5k and see which works better for you.

I would predict that whichever rpm you are training at now would lead to the better run, but that does not necessarily mean it is the best option. If you train at 60rpm you will run better after a 60rpm ride than 90rpm but if you were to train at 90 rpm you would run better after a 90rpm ride than a 60rpm. Also, comparing training at 60 and running after 60 and training at 90 and running after 90 the 90/90 would probably lead to a better result than a 60/60 if you catch my drift. Much like if you swim with poor form you might slow down by using proper form because you haven't trained those muscles yet but it doesn't mean you should continue with poor form either.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Last edited by: msuguy512: Feb 9, 09 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bigger question is what your FTP is at different cadences. I would be very surprised if your FTP at 60rpm was the same as it was at 80rpm and again at 95rpm.
Find the cadence with the best FTP then use that cadence. Don't forget that you have to base your pacing power off your FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert but my experience is similar to yours. I can ride at low cadence at a give power and my Hr will be lower than at higher cadence at the same power. BUT that's only true for a short time. I could never hold the same power for 2 and half to 3 hours at 60rpm as I could at 90rpm. Running afterwards is another issue, low cadence = bad run for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your typical riding cadence? Do you generally ride with a low (60rpm) cadence or higher cadance(80rpm)?
The reason I ask is the increase in HR could be do to the new stimulus of peddling faster; as your body gets accustom to that cadence you should see your HR drop. I would say stick with the higher cadence and as you get comfortable at that pace you will see you HR drop and Power remain the same

Brian Hammond
Tailwind Endurance
http://www.TailwindEndurance.com
Quote Reply